Thrustmaster T300 - Sim racing wheel : Crashes games and steam

Jun Ishiwata

So i've had this wheel for about a year now and everything was going great until one day i woke up and saw that my pc rebooted itself. I didn't think of it as too strange until i tried starting steam and it constantly just crashed whilst opening. After a long search on what it could be i unplugged my T300 Thrustmaster racing wheel and steam just normally started up... I thought it was strange and started a racing game ( Project Cars2 , Assetto corsa), Plugged my wheel back in and the game just instantly crashes + steam aswell. 

I tried uninstalling the drivers and re-installing them but nothing seems to work. If i open up the program of the wheel i get an error (windows shell Common DLL errror).
I'd really like to get this fixed cause i enjoyed simracing so much but since all of that i'm unable to play any racing game.

Any of you have encountered the same or have any solution to this problem ? 

a pretty far guess, but i suppose it's worth a try:

- uninstall anything related to the wheel (programs that came with it, driver, etc.)

- with the wheel plugged in, open device manager, and look for the wheel in your list of programs.

- right click it => properties => driver tab => click remove device (if it has a driver installed for it)

- hit the checkbox and click uninstall

- unplug the wheel and reboot

- open cmd as administrator and type "sfc /scannow" -- i'm expecting this to come up clean (no errors found) but it's a good measure thing. if it does find something, reboot and repeat.

- run windows update, first without the wheel, then with the wheel plugged in

- reboot

- try installing the latest version of the software for the wheel again, and see what it does.

defenately never seen this issue before, but i've just finished a week with several of those "wait what now?" issues...

also, i'm placing my bets on a software issue, or badly written drivers, purely on the fact that this is behavior you would never expect from a USB device.