What Type of hosting should I choose.

Hi,

I am planning to make a website and host it but i am confused which hosting should i choose.

should i got for a VPS server or a cloud.

or 

any other suggestions would really be of great help.

5 minutes ago, Akshay Patil said:

I am planning to make a website and host it but i am confused which hosting should i choose.

should i got for a VPS server or a cloud.

You didn't specify what kind of a website you're aiming for, but if you could get by with a Wordpress-site, that'd be an even cheaper option. Namecheap, for example, has a service called EasyWP and the good thing with that service is that... well, you don't have to bother with backups, server-maintenance or anything else and can just focus on whipping up your website.

I use EasyWP myself for a client's website and they're perfectly happy.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I wanted to go for wordpress but then i always have coded everything from scratch. i do not know if wordpress will give me all the customization.

talking about website, well, there are three websites that ill be initailly hosting that will be a blogging website based on different platform.

and then I have other 2 website that is actually a web application. which is a huge application. 

5 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

You didn't specify what kind of a website you're aiming for, but if you could get by with a Wordpress-site, that'd be an even cheaper option. Namecheap, for example, has a service called EasyWP and the good thing with that service is that... well, you don't have to bother with backups, server-maintenance or anything else and can just focus on whipping up your website.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I reside in India so here we have godaddy and hostgator who does the same thing as WasyWP. but my confusion is wheather i go for VPS or cloud.

My platform of development is in Linux 

You don't need VPS or Cloud.

For a simple website, you can use shared hosting.

You only need VPS if you want to install your own programs, that aren't made available on shared hosting, or if you need a lot of processing power.

If you make your website using PHP, Javascript, HTML, or you use existing scripts like Wordpress or other common things, you can use shared hosting.

Namecheap has a shared hosting option for as low as 18$ a year for the first year ... https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/shared/

I actually have the 18$ a year plan (for the first year, double after), bought it to move some small websites to it when I had to reorganize some dedicated servers and cancel one, and I'm happy with the performance.

The 30$ a year (for the first year) is a bit better option  as it allows more than 3 primary domains and you get more features that are useful, but the 18$ plan is perfectly fine for a start, for just 2-3 websites and their subdomains, and if you don't mind being limited to 20 GB of disk space

They have an awesome control panel from where you can auto install scripts like Wordpress, Mediawiki (wikipedia) and hundreds of others, or you can upload your own scripts you write using FTP.

You could order the hosting I recommend for 2.5$ for one month and if you're happy testing it, but a second play for a full year for 30$ for the first year.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

You don't need VPS or Cloud.

For a simple website, you can use shared hosting.

You only need VPS if you want to install your own programs, that aren't made available on shared hosting, or if you need a lot of processing power.

If you make your website using PHP, Javascript, HTML, or you use existing scripts like Wordpress or other common things, you can use shared hosting.

Namecheap has a shared hosting option for as low as 18$ a year for the first year ... https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/shared/

I actually have the 18$ a year plan (for the first year, double after), bought it to move some small websites to it when I had to reorganize some dedicated servers and cancel one, and I'm happy with the performance.

The 30$ a year (for the first year) is a bit better option  as it allows more than 3 primary domains and you get more features that are useful, but the 18$ plan is perfectly fine for a start, for just 2-3 websites and their subdomains, and if you don't mind being limited to 20 GB of disk space

They have an awesome control panel from where you can auto install scripts like Wordpress, Mediawiki (wikipedia) and hundreds of others, or you can upload your own scripts you write using FTP.

You could order the hosting I recommend for 2.5$ for one month and if you're happy testing it, but a second play for a full year for 30$ for the first year.

I would have thought about shared the only problem is the bandwidth and soft storage space that they provide is around 20 and 40GB respectively.

and the hosting provider will suspect the site if i cross 100GB as other users will start having problems

2 minutes ago, Akshay Patil said:

I would have thought about shared the only problem is the bandwidth and soft storage space that they provide is around 20 and 40GB respectively.

and the hosting provider will suspect the site if i cross 100GB as other users will start having problems

Do you have the website already? For start shared hosting is good enough, you can transfer everything to VPS or dedicated later on when the traffic is bigger.

20gb is a good capacity for beginners. Always optimize your pictures since it is the one that will eat the space.

I have a working forum with 20k (registered) users (100 active) on a 2core vps only takes around 25gb of space.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Do you have the website already? For start shared hosting is good enough, you can transfer everything to VPS or dedicated later on when the traffic is bigger.

20gb is a good capacity for beginners. Always optimize your pictures since it is the one that will eat the space.

I have a working forum with 20k (registered) users (100 active) on a 2core vps only takes around 25gb of space.

oh that is nyc. I got the answer then. I will go for the shared hosting and later I can choose VPS when needed.

12 minutes ago, Akshay Patil said:

Dude, it's 1.5$ a month or 2.5$ a month the first year? You have to be realistic. If you can manage to stay within the disk space limits, they're excellent choices

You can use up to that limit they give you without any complaints.

And yes, you can upgrade to a higher plan, or buy a second plan, transfer your files over, and cancel/not renew the original plan. Or you can go with VPS or dedicated servers.

You won't find a cheap VPS that would also give you 100 GB of disk space.

Do you really have 100 GB of content for a website? For some big files, maybe you could use some free file hosting sites, or services like Google Drive (15 GB free)

If you want VPS, you could check out Leaseweb's offerings : https://www.leaseweb.com/cloud/virtual-server

but again, they make sense only if you need lots of cpu and bandwidth.

And if you go above around 30$, it's possible to get dedicated servers (ex ~30$ a month for quad core, 16GB ram, 2TB hdd, 10TB bandwidth) : https://www.leaseweb.com/dedicated-servers/instant-delivery

When comes the time you need a dedicated server this website will give you bargain price:

https://www.hetzner.com/sb?country=DE

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Just now, mariushm said:

Dude, it's 1.5$ a month or 2.5$ a month the first year? You have to be realistic. If you can manage to stay within the disk space limits, they're excellent choices

You can use up to that limit they give you without any complaints.

You won't find a cheap VPS that would also give you 100 GB of disk space.

Do you really have 100 GB of content for a website? For some big files, maybe you could use some free file hosting sites, or services like Google Drive (15 GB free)

I got your point. I think i am being too much futuristic. Thanks for the help. Ill choose shared hosting.

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

When comes the time you need a dedicated server this website will give you bargain price:

https://www.hetzner.com/sb?country=DE

I wish i had this option in India. i am limited to few providers. But for now shared hosting is what i chose.Thanks to u and @mariushm.

reposting what i wrote, in case you didn't see my edit:

If you want VPS, you could check out Leaseweb's offerings : https://www.leaseweb.com/cloud/virtual-server

For me, it only makes sense if it's less than 10$ a month

And if you go above around 30$, it's possible to get dedicated servers (ex ~30$ a month for quad core, 16GB ram, 2TB hdd, 10TB bandwidth) : https://www.leaseweb.com/dedicated-servers/instant-delivery

Just now, Akshay Patil said:

I wish i had this option in India. i am limited to few providers. But for now shared hosting is what i chose.Thanks to u and @mariushm.

You can rent it there and access it in India, the server don't have to be hosted locally, like this forum, you can access it in India right?

It's the cheapest price on earth.

image.png.55fbe00b6d4741c626c8464431bf6030.png

Where else can you get a XEON 1245, 6TB HDD, 16gb ECC for 34 euro a month? The whole server for yourself.

Ill go through the site.

Yeah leaseweb is one of the cheapest, i had rent a 64gb vps for only $6 a month.

You can also look for coupons / bargains on this forum https://www.webhostingtalk.com/

You can rent it there and access it in India, the server don't have to be hosted locally, like this forum, you can access it in India right?

It's the cheapest price on earth.

image.png.55fbe00b6d4741c626c8464431bf6030.png

Where else can you get a XEON 1245, 6TB HDD, 16gb ECC for 34 euro a month? The whole server for yourself.

Will there be any latency ? if my server is outside India as my target visitors will be from India. 

Yes there will be latency, but not significant.

Most of the websites are hosted in US or in datacenters in Europe.. that Hetzner company hosts in Germany, Leaseweb has HUGE datacenters with terabits of bandwidth in Holland, Germany and other countries

People visiting your website won't feel your website slower than other websites.

These big companies also have redundancies, multiple internet connections, power sources etc. If you go with an Indian company, that company may use internet from a local ISP, or from just a few local telecommunication companies, and the quality of the bandwidth may be poor. You may also get less reliability, power interruptions, hardware failures, especially at low prices.

A company like Leaseweb I suggested has thousands of servers so they can manage lower prices but an Indian company will probably have higher costs so either you'd pay more, or you get less quality for the money.

Just now, Akshay Patil said:

Will there be any latency ? if my server is outside India as my target visitors will be from India. 

Ofcourse, having the datacenter near the users is going to improve its latency.

But since the internet is faster, that won't be an issue, you won't feel it.

For a website latency is not really important, it is important for low latency purpose like game servers.

i tested linustechtips ping (https://tools.keycdn.com/ping)

image.png.4f1e0095fdf97b81bc0c4dc533b8e7ea.png

India has the biggest ping, but do you feel it?

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yes there will be latency, but not significant.

Most of the websites are hosted in US or in datacenters in Europe.. that Hetzner company hosts in Germany, Leaseweb has HUGE datacenters with terabits of bandwidth in Holland, Germany and other countries

People visiting your website won't feel your website slower than other websites.

These big companies also have redundancies, multiple internet connections, power sources etc. If you go with an Indian company, that company may use internet from a local ISP, or from just a few local telecommunication companies, and the quality of the bandwidth may be poor. You may also get less reliability, power interruptions, hardware failures, especially at low prices.

A company like Leaseweb I suggested has thousands of servers so they can manage lower prices but an Indian company will probably have higher costs so either you'd pay more, or you get less quality for the money.

I very well agree with you 

Ofcourse, having the datacenter near the users is going to improve its latency.

But since the internet is faster, that won't be an issue, you won't feel it.

For a website latency is not really important, it is important for low latency purpose like game servers.

i tested linustechtips ping (https://tools.keycdn.com/ping)

image.png.4f1e0095fdf97b81bc0c4dc533b8e7ea.png

India has the biggest ping, but do you feel it?

Totally cleared with my doubts. I will go through the website that is sent here and choose the best plan fit for my website and also my pocket.

I will update on what i think of choosing. please do suggest me if its worth it.