Can my i5 8400 support 4 ram sticks

Hello and thank you for reading this, 

As you've seen from the title, I'm wondering if my CPU can utilise all 4 ram slots from my motherboard. Since currently i have 2x4Gb, and would strongly appreciate some more ram, im wondering if i can simply add 2 more 4Gb sticks. At first i thought that i can, but just to make sure i went on intels website and saw, as you see in the picture, that memory type is ddr4 at 2660. So does that mean it isn't compatible with memory running at higher speeds? And it has a max number of channels of 2. So i guess my qestion is does my cpu support higher speeds ram than 2660 and can it support 4 ram sticks? 

Screenshot_20191023-145721.png

ram stick count , as in the number of sticks.... is supported by the motherboard not the cpu. If your board have 4 slots it supports 4 sticks.

computers 30 years ago had very little issue with 4 sticks so I'm thinking your i5 will also not be troubled by it provided you have the slots for it

Yes the 8400 can run with memory at speeds over 2666Mhz. These are considred overclocks but are very easy to achieve.

Each memory channel supports 2 memory sticks, so, in your case, it means you can have up to 4 memory sticks, so yes, you can add more memory. I would suggest getting a kit identical to the one you already have, or at least as similar as you can get, just to maximise the chances of all 4 sticks working correctly out of the box, without having to do any manual tinkering.

Regarding memory frequency, I'm pretty sure the 2666MHz limit is only the case for H or B series motherboard chipsets. In other words, if you're running a Z370/Z390 motherboard, you can run whatever memory frequency you want, even above 2666MHz.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Each memory channel supports 2 memory sticks, so, in your case, it means you can have up to 4 memory sticks, so yes, you can add more memory. I would suggest getting a kit identical to the one you already have, or at least as similar as you can get, just to maximise the chances of all 4 sticks working correctly out of the box, without having to do any manual tinkering.

Regarding memory frequency, I'm pretty sure the 2666MHz limit is only the case for H or B series motherboard chipsets. In other words, if you're running a Z370/Z390 motherboard, you can run whatever memory frequency you want, even above 2666MHz.

I see, thank you 

6 minutes ago, Medicate said:

Yes the 8400 can run with memory at speeds over 2666Mhz. These are considred overclocks but are very easy to achieve.

Thank you. 

7 minutes ago, WikiForce said:

there's a difference between "channels" and max memory stick you can put. Most consumer boards supports dual channel but depending on the motherboard you can have 4-8 ram sticks that would still run in dual channel mode. Only Servers / Industrial grade motherboards have support for quad channel memory.

I see, thatnk you

8 minutes ago, emosun said:

ram stick count , as in the number of sticks.... is supported by the motherboard not the cpu. If your board have 4 slots it supports 4 sticks.

computers 30 years ago had very little issue with 4 sticks so I'm thinking your i5 will also not be troubled by it provided you have the slots for it

I understand, thank you