Will Nitro+ 5700XT work in my setup?

MarleysBeard

Sapphire's listed requirements:

Recommended 650 Watt Power Supply (Minimum 600 Watt Power Supply).

2 x 8-pin Power Connector.

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

Minimum 8GB of system memory. 16GB recommended. 

My current system:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $0.00
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler Purchased For $0.00
Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Purchased For $0.00
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4 GB G1 Gaming Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply Purchased For $0.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $0.00
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-10-22 22:31 EDT-0400  

Will the card actually work with my current mobo/psu?

7 hours ago, MarleysBeard said:

It'll be fine, you should toss in any cheap 8GB stick of DDR3 to get 16Gbs at least, but I would not waste money on upgrading to an i7.

The Nitro is nice, but blower cards are sometimes $289 on sale and the blower can be improved.

It'll work fine in your system anyways, but is overkill if you only have a 1080p 60hz display, just upgrade to 1080p 144hz or a 1440p ultrawide at some point. CPU is kind of a bottleneck for above 60hz though.

Maybe just go for a cheap used 4k 60hz display

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Nice thanks for the responses. I knew it would be overkill and that I would have a bottleneck but my biggest concern was if it would even work and be an improvement.

Alternatively I could go with a B450 gaming pro carbon, r5 3700, 2x8 gb ddr4 teamgroup t force dark pro (B die) and do the GPU in a few months when I have more extra $$$

Nice thanks for the responses. I knew it would be overkill and that I would have a bottleneck but my biggest concern was if

It would be best to save your money and do it all at once later then

because B550 motherboards are coming sometime this year

and the RX 5500/5600 are coming soon as well. RX 5700 prices might drop

Could buy a nicer display in the meantime.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

With that PSU, you're not gonna have any problem. Just be aware that when games requires more cores/threads, that's when you might experience some performance issue as 4C/4T is kinda the under-performing CPU. I had a 4770K + RTX2080Ti and 4770K + Radeon VII for a couple of months each, and while I'd admit there was bottlenecking with both cards, the 4770K at 4.2Ghz acquited itself well enough in games (4C/8T did help)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Worst case scenario I can upgrade the rest when I get my income tax refund.

So I'm tossing around 3 options at this point:

1. Buy the GPU and wait on the rest.

2. Buy the MOBO/CPU/RAM and wait on the GPU.

3. Hold on to the money and wait for AMD to release the new MOBOs/GPUs.

The only real issue, unless you want to get into streaming with a 6 core or 8 core, though you can just use NVENC for a basic stream.

Is that you're only powering a 1080p 75hz display, so any upgrade is kind of "bottlenecked" by that.

I'm kind of in the go big camp for upgrades though, would either get a used 4k display, or a 1080p 240hz display depending on the games you play, either would be $200-250

If you get the 4k display you could just run games at 1080p for now, and your CPU could still drive 60fps whenever you upgrade the 970 for it.

Spoiler

And if you get a 4k display, and movies are your thing, your legally acquired bluray VPN rips will look nicer.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The only real issue, unless you want to get into streaming with a 6 core or 8 core, though you can just use NVENC for a basic stream.

Is that you're only powering a 1080p 75hz display, so any upgrade is kind of "bottlenecked" by that.

I'm kind of in the go big camp for upgrades though, would either get a used 4k display, or a 1080p 240hz display depending on the games you play, either would be $200-250

If you get the 4k display you could just run games at 1080p for now, and your CPU could still drive 60fps whenever you upgrade the 970 for it.

I probably forgot to mention I have a 144hz display. Its the Asus VG248QE. Still old and in need of replacing but does that 144hz make it a little better? I play competitive CSGO fairly frequently so the high refresh rate is important.

I probably forgot to mention I have a 144hz display. Its the Asus VG248QE. Still old and in need of replacing but does that 144hz make it a little better?

For 144hz then I'd replace your CPU first with like an R5 3600 + MSI B450 board and some 3200mhz CL16 or 3600mhz CL16 RAM

Spoiler

On that front my plan was B450 gaming pro carbon, R5 3600 and TEAMGROUP T-Force Dark Pro DDR4 16GB KIT (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) CL 14 288-Pin

Cant find out if that RAM works well with that MOBO though. MSI website doesn't list it I don't think but its a bit confusing.

On that front my plan was B450 gaming pro carbon, R5 3600 and TEAMGROUP T-Force Dark Pro DDR4 16GB KIT (2 x

You'd either want one of the $100 B450 boards

or just get an ASUS Prime X570 board for $160

75hz was a different thread actually.

Spoiler

Yeah I guess no sense in buying the b450 if I can get an x570 for another $10. I'll have to investigate the features of those $100 options vs the Asus Prime and make a decision. All the advice is much appreciated, thank you

Yeah I guess no sense in buying the b450 if I can get an x570 for another $10. I'll have to investigate the features of those $100 options vs the Asus Prime and make a decision. All the advice is much appreciated, thank you

Compared to like the MSI B450 Gaming Plus, you get a nicer I/O load out, questionably improved onboard audio, intel gigabit, and PCI-e whenever that matters for GPUs in maybe like 4 years. Matters more for SSDs, but even sata SSDs are plenty fast at 500MB read/writes.

Mostly it's the 1-2 extra USB ports.

Spoiler

The Asus Prime-P x570 board is only 135 on Amazon, once its back in stock. Seems like an easy choice.

Do you think the RAM I picked TEAMGROUP T-Force Dark Pro DDR4 16GB KIT (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) CL 14 288-Pin is worth 120? I chose it because of the reviews and the fact that its B Die which seems to be the sought after RAM for Ryzen systems.

The Asus Prime-P x570 board is only 135 on Amazon, once its back in stock. Seems like an easy choice.

Do you think the RAM I picked TEAMGROUP T-Force Dark Pro DDR4 16GB KIT (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (PC4 25600) CL 14 288-Pin is worth 120? I chose it because of the reviews and the fact that its B Die which seems to be the sought after RAM for Ryzen systems.

Just gotta check out a more overclocking focused forum, but in general Ryzen 3000 doesn't need B-die to clock well, that was only Ryzen 1-2

Spoiler