Changing motherboard (What should I do?)

Kranolf
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

1) put any files and documents you want to keep on the HDD

2) unplug HDD

3) install windows and your programs on the new SSD https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

4) with the computer off plug the HDD back in

5) go into BIOS and make sure the SSD is the first boot priority

6) boot into windows and everything on your HDD will be there, you can move files back to the new SSD if you want

7) you will need to tell steam and other game launchers where the games are on the HDD

Hi guys!

I am going to RMA my ASUS Z370-F motherboard, because the LED strip is not recognized by the software. I purchased an AORUS Z390 (works with my i7 8700k and will be good for the next gen as well) and want to replace it before I send the Asus out, but I am worried about my stuff on the PC, cause I read that I should reinstall windows in order to make the new motherboard work flawlessly.

So I have a 250gb SSD with my Windows on it, and I also have a 2 TB HDD (2 partitions). I would really like to keep all my stuff on the HDD, bunch of games, videos, pictures, etc. 

How should I do the reinstall, what are the steps?

Thank you!

Just now, Slottr said:

Your other drive won't be affected if windows is on a separate one.

Should I plug in the HDD after the windows is reinstalled? Will games work fine and everything will be okay?

2) unplug HDD

3) install windows and your programs on the new SSD https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

6) boot into windows and everything on your HDD will be there, you can move files back to the new SSD if you want

7) you will need to tell steam and other game launchers where the games are on the HDD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

2) unplug HDD

Thanks a lot man! but Step 0. change the mobo right?

Just now, Kranolf said:

Should I plug in the HDD after the windows is reinstalled? Will games work fine and everything will be okay?

You'll have to do some re-initialization and setup but yeah you should be good.

Just follow what @Enderman said.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 minutes ago, Kranolf said:

Thanks a lot man! but Step 0. change the mobo right?

Hahaha wellstep0 forme is always back up everything in two places, like USB drives or googledrive, just in case :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

22 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Hahaha wellstep0 forme is always back up everything in two places, like USB drives or googledrive, just in case :P

Haha yea, my bad. Then step 1 should be changin the motherboard? After the backups?

2 hours ago, Kranolf said:

Haha yea, my bad. Then step 1 should be changin the motherboard? After the backups?

Yee

Spoiler

On 10/22/2019 at 9:25 PM, Enderman said:

Yee

Changed the mobo and I forgot that I missed backing up something. Now the system is running normally. Am I harming anything just by running the system with the old drivers? I will do a clean reinstall even formatting my HDDs in the end.

57 minutes ago, Kranolf said:

Changed the mobo and I forgot that I missed backing up something. Now the system is running normally. Am I harming anything just by running the system with the old drivers? I will do a clean reinstall even formatting my HDDs in the end.

If it works, then yeah it's fine.

It's just that sometimes a new motehrboard won't even boot if you have the drive with the OS from the old one.

Spoiler