AMD RYZEN 3600X high Temperatures

Lilbat
Go to solution Solved by Zando_,
1 minute ago, Lilbat said:

@Faisal A@Zando Bob

Ok so i've run a stress test with AIDA64engineer, i've reach an average temperature of 74°C and a peek at 81°C.

I'm really worried about my temperature because i had a AMD FX-8300 with the same cooler and it rarely reach 50°C even while gaming. And FX-8300 has the TDP of 95W, same as my current Ryzen 5 3600X.

Not too surprising, Ryzens have quite an aggressive boost that pulls a lot of voltage. Temps that high on that specific cooler is funky though. I'd try repasting (use a pea sized blob, rice is too smol) and make sure you have the cooler mounted with the correct pressure (most of them have springs, so you just tighten the screws till they're snug and the springs keep the right tension). 

HI,

So i've just finished building my new computer, but i feel like my temps are too high : it reached 50°C when i launched steam the only thing i did before was browsing the internet.

As for thermal paste i've put a "grain of rice" on my CPU maybe it comes from here?

My CPU cooler : Cryorig H7 plus

Motherboard : B450 Aorus Elite

Edit : When i touch my cooler it's cool even if the cpu just reach 50°C, is it normal?

It it has a cool touch it could a a inaccurate reading. The core temp is always higher then the heatsink temps though. What is your core voltage and what speeds are you running at. What cooler do you hav

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

Just now, Faisal A said:

It it has a cool touch it could a a inaccurate reading. The core temp is always higher then the heatsink temps though.

Before this setup i had the same cooler but with an AMD fx-8350 and the cooler was a bit warm, that's why i'm thinking it might be weird

What core voltage have you got. Have you removed the plastic protector. How much pressure is being applied. Are you using nockoff thermal paste? You might need a bit more then a grain of rice, bu not too much

12 minutes ago, Faisal A said:

What core voltage have you got. Have you removed the plastic protector. How much pressure is being applied. Are you using nockoff thermal paste?

Seems like i'm running at 0.8V with some peeks at 1.4V (see the picture below). As for the plastic protector on the cooler it's surely removed because i was using the same one on my previous build.

I've screwed the CPU cooler just enough to hold to the motherboard, what's the limit until the pressure is too much?

I've used the Thermal paste that was provided with the CPU cooler, it's 3 months old (since i received it) and already opened it for my previous build.

Voltage CPU.png

In that case it is an inaccurate reading or opening steam is an intensive task. Download AIDIA64 trial and stress test your CPU. If temps stay under 90C, you should be fine

Your core hit 50C? That's cool as ice as far as CPUs are concerned. 

You start worrying when you hit 85-90C under normal load. 90-97C or so in something like Prime95 small FFT (you only do a 10 minute run for temp testing, use blend for stability testing on multiple hour-plus runs, only needed if you're testing OCs though) is perfectly fine. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

@Faisal A@Zando Bob

Ok so i've run a stress test with AIDA64engineer, i've reach an average temperature of 74°C and a peek at 81°C.

I'm really worried about my temperature because i had a AMD FX-8300 with the same cooler and it rarely reach 50°C even while gaming. And FX-8300 has the TDP of 95W, same as my current Ryzen 5 3600X. And now i sometimes reach 50°C just by browsing the net.

1 minute ago, Lilbat said:

@Faisal A@Zando Bob

I'm really worried about my temperature because i had a AMD FX-8300 with the same cooler and it rarely reach 50°C even while gaming. And FX-8300 has the TDP of 95W, same as my current Ryzen 5 3600X.

Not too surprising, Ryzens have quite an aggressive boost that pulls a lot of voltage. Temps that high on that specific cooler is funky though. I'd try repasting (use a pea sized blob, rice is too smol) and make sure you have the cooler mounted with the correct pressure (most of them have springs, so you just tighten the screws till they're snug and the springs keep the right tension). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Zen 2 CPU having heat spikes is a common thing, it react faster then Zen+ did and on the 7nm node it generate heat faster then on 12nm. It's nothing to worry about, just a normal behaviour, look how fast the CPU react to single core boost load.

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

That's not high...my 3700x idle at 50+...installing games goes to 65...prime95 goes to 70...running stock and only xmp...

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X 4.3Ghz (-0.1V)
  • Motherboard
    MSI MEG X570 ACE
  • RAM
    G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F4-3200C16D-32GTRS
  • GPU
    GeForce RTX™ 3060 EAGLE OC 12G (rev. 2.0)
  • Case
    Cooler Master MASTERBOX MB520 ARGB + Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB
  • Storage
    ADATA XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
    ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB 2.5" SSD
    Toshiba X300 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache
    TOSHIBA MG06 (MG06ACA10TE) 10TB 3.5 Inch 7200RPM Enterprise SATA Hard Drive
  • PSU
    Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 FULL MODULAR
  • Display(s)
    Acer KG271B Gaming Monitor (HDR Ready 27" 1920X1080 240Hz) + MSI PRO MP241
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R RGB
  • Keyboard
    MSI Vigor GK80 RED GAMING KEYBOARD
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red Edition Wired Laser Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
  • Router
    Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX 11000

I'd undervolt it a bit. Set negative offset vcore voltage, 0.05V (50mV). Oh, and generally, a pea-sized drop of thermal compound is perfect. A grain of rice? sounds a little thin...

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )

Update

Ok so i've just installed Ryzen Master and it says that my CPU temperature about 10°C cooler than what SIV from my motherboard says.

Is there an explanation or my computer is going to explode?

By the way thanks for all the answers

Everything is just fine, your CPU won't die because it's at 50C on light load, it just mean it's boost very high on single core boost and there are voltage spikes which are normal behaviour of Zen 2

Main System: Ryzen 2700, Asus Crosshair VII Hero, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC, 970 EVO Plus NVMe, Crucial Ballistix 3200mhz CL14, CM H500, CM ML240L cpu cooler.

Second System: Ryzen 2400G, Gigabyte B450 DS3H, RX 580 Nitro+, Kingston A400 SSD, Team T-Force 3200mhz CL15

If it ain't overclocked it ain't good...

AM4 boards VRM rating list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

Buildzoid's AM4 motherboard roundup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti38JS8RuPU

2 minutes ago, Lilbat said:

Update.

Ok so i've just installed Ryzen Master and it says that my CPU temperature about 10°C cooler than what SIV from my motherboard says.

No explode, it will just shut itself off before damage is done - protections and such.

Your temps are fine, monitoring software is meh.  I personally say HWInfo and HWMonitor are the most accurate temperature monitoring software to use.  Check what HWInfo (best) says.  Other than that - Zen2 design has multiple chiplets, on a small die creating very small HOT spots.  If your temps are within operating range you are fine.  If you MUST have cooler temps - get a larger heat sink, AIO or build a custom loop :)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, Lilbat said:

Update

By the way thanks for all the answers

HWinfo shows the single highest core temp. You can have 1 or 2 cores doing background stuffs and spike to 50C. While other cores are idling at 30C.

Ryzen Master shows all core average. That's why at ldle and under light load Ryzen Master will report lower temp. Under full load HWinfo and Ryzen Master will report the same temp.

I would not fuss over the high temps, as some software is very inaccurate with reading temps on zen2.

HWinfo seems the most accurate as it often separates the temp of the processor and the temp of its surrounding parts.

I know I am good when in bios my motherboard reads 42 and on the stock cooler.