Some OBS Questions and a file question

File Question

Is there a way i can move completed recordings automatically as after about 1hr and a half to 2 hrs of recording the storage drive im recording to gets full, then i need to close what i am doing and move the file manually than restart the record (i have a HDD that has a spare 3.5TB on it but am recording to a spare SSD that i have for speed purposes) and just wanted to know if there was a method that as the recoding stopped it moved the file automatically to a folder on the other HDD so i can continue recording faster

OBS Question

I keep getting a message down the bottom of OBS when i am recording (something to do with overloading, and i am just wondering what settings i would need to change to stop this from happening [said something about increasing something but i cannot remember and the message only shows up after like 50 minutes of recording])

32 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

File Question

Is there a way i can move completed recordings automatically as after about 1hr and a half to 2 hrs of recording the storage drive im recording

Just change the location of the recording file

Do you actually need to use the SSD for recording? 100MB write times on a hard drive should be fine

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

18 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just change the location of the recording file

Do you actually need to use the SSD for recording? 100MB write times on a hard drive should be fine

i had no idea if it was fast enough as im only quite new to OBS.

ill give it a go recording straight to the HDD

4 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

i had no idea if it was fast enough as im only quite new to OBS.

ill give it a go recording straight to the HDD

Recordings are done in Megabits per second typically

25 Megabits is 3 Megabytes, hard drives are plenty fast for that.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

As said above, try recording to your hard drive directly. I only found you need to record to ssd for uncompressed files, or if you record really high bitrate and play the game off the same drive.

The overloading thing is probably 'encoder overloaded, please turn down settings' or something like that.

That basically means 'OBS/your CPU had a hard time to record there, resulting in a stutter. Consider loser quality.'.

But you could check where it did that in the video to check if it actually had a hitch

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

58 minutes ago, minibois said:

The overloading thing is probably 'encoder overloaded, please turn down settings' or something like that.

That basically means 'OBS/your CPU had a hard time to record there, resulting in a stutter. Consider loser quality.'.

But you could check where it did that in the video to check if it actually had a hitch

This happens most likely just for few seconds right after streaming/recording starts. And OBS doesn't automatically clear it after usage settles.

Based on test streaming I did yesterday.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, minibois said:

As said above, try recording to your hard drive directly. I only found you need to record to ssd for uncompressed files, or if you record really high bitrate and play the game off the same drive.

tbh i only sort of remember the message showing up, when it happens again ill give it a look, though i thought the sugestion wasn't turn down your settings i swear it was turn up something

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

This happens most likely just for few seconds right after streaming/recording starts. And OBS doesn't automatically clear it after usage settles.

Based on test streaming I did yesterday.

it doesnt say it when starting the record its like 30mins + into the recording

6 hours ago, WickedStarfish said:

tbh i only sort of remember the message showing up, when it happens again ill give it a look, though i thought the sugestion wasn't turn down your settings i swear it was turn up something

it doesnt say it when starting the record its like 30mins + into the recording

It may have suggested turning up the encoder speed (I forgot the proper name).

That can be done like slow, medium, fast and a couple other fast types. Higher encoder speed (e.g. fast is higher than medium = easier for your CPU, but less quakity.).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 hours ago, minibois said:

It may have suggested turning up the encoder speed (I forgot the proper name).

That can be done like slow, medium, fast and a couple other fast types. Higher encoder speed (e.g. fast is higher than medium = easier for your CPU, but less quakity.).

i actually think that was it

though cpu load is mostly less than 4% for obs