I'm wanting to upgrade my existing RAM from 16>32GB.

I use memory extensive programs, and frequently using Cygwin on huge files.

My current RAM on CPU-Z:

https://i.imgur.com/eERFN43.png

https://i.imgur.com/yzkP1B7.png

https://i.imgur.com/Zf0delU.png

And my motherboard is Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON

My questions are (does my RAM look fine in CPU-Z) any issues or something I'm doing wrong with the setup (slot 2, slot 4).

Also if I want to upgrade to 32GB, do I need to buy THE EXACT same model and put them in (slot 1, slot 3). 

Thanks, I'm really inexperienced with all of this, hopefully someone can help :)

I don't see anything wrong with your setup, you did good placing them in dual channel most people just place them one after another
99% of the times putting different RAM into your setup won't get any problems, so you're safe to go with anything you pick just you gotta be sure for some stuff:
1) It should be DDR4
2)Try to pick the same CL
3)Ram will work as the slowest ram stick you put into your system so don't get anything more or less powerfull than what you currently have unless you want to upgrade in the future

4 minutes ago, voiha said:

I don't see anything wrong with your setup, you did good placing them in dual channel most people just place them one after another
99% of the times putting different RAM into your setup won't get any problems, so you're safe to go with anything you pick just you gotta be sure for some stuff:
1) It should be DDR4
2)Try to pick the same CL
3)Ram will work as the slowest ram stick you put into your system so don't get anything more or less powerfull than what you currently have unless you want to upgrade in the future

Thanks, so I should purchase another 2x 8GB of 3000 MHZ to match my existing RAM speed, make sure it's DDR4, and finally what is "CL" 

Thanks

Edit: I think I'm going to purchase the EXACT same RAM I have now again, so another 2x 8GB of the exact same model, you think this is fine?

Just now, voiha said:

It's this thing some info if you want to read about it

Untitled.png.09aebe505d268d1be0d59a2bb7cdf15a.png

Yours is 15 CL so look for 15 CL RAM if you're not going to buy the same ram

Ah okay noted. You think it's a wise decision to buy the exact same RAM I have now (another 16gb of it). Is DDR4 3000 MHZ still considered good nowadays?

Sorry for the questions, I really do appreciate your answers.

7 minutes ago, LinusRamQuestion said:

Ah okay noted. You think it's a wise decision to buy the exact same RAM I have now (another 16gb of it). Is DDR4 3000 MHZ still considered good nowadays?

Sorry for the questions, I really do appreciate your answers.

Glad to help you !

Well it depends on your CPU if you use first gen Ryzen CPU then having more MHZ will benefit you, tho if you have for example an Intel i7 7700 which is locked to 2133MHz only not so much money wise

3000MHz in both cases is more than enough :D Your RAM is good pick it's still one of the best ram you can buy ! Actually I have the same one in my GF's config

what's your CPU ?

1 minute ago, voiha said:

Glad to help you !

Well it depends on your CPU if you use first gen Ryzen CPU then having more MHZ will benefit you, tho if you have for example an Intel i7 7700 which is locked to 2133MHz only not so much money wise

3000MHz in both cases is more than enough :D Your RAM is good pick it's still one of the best ram you can buy ! Actually I have the same one in my GF's config

what's your CPU ?

I'm using the i7-7700k at the moment, not really in a rush to upgrade it. Oh wait, i7-7700 is bad for RAM? fuck lol

1 hour ago, LinusRamQuestion said:

I use memory extensive programs, and frequently using Cygwin on huge files.

My current RAM on CPU-Z:

https://i.imgur.com/eERFN43.png

https://i.imgur.com/yzkP1B7.png

https://i.imgur.com/Zf0delU.png

And my motherboard is Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON

My questions are (does my RAM look fine in CPU-Z) any issues or something I'm doing wrong with the setup (slot 2, slot 4).

Also if I want to upgrade to 32GB, do I need to buy THE EXACT same model and put them in (slot 1, slot 3). 

Thanks, I'm really inexperienced with all of this, hopefully someone can help :)

For best results, buy another kit of what you already have. If that's not an option, get something with the same speed and timings.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

1 minute ago, LinusRamQuestion said:

I'm using the i7-7700k at the moment, not really in a rush to upgrade it. Oh wait, i7-7700 is bad for RAM? fuck lol

It's not that it's "bad" it just won't be able to utilize your RAM at 100%. With your CPU it means you're using 2133 mhz of it not the full 3000mhz

It's not that it's "bad" it just won't be able to utilize your RAM at 100%. With your CPU it means you're using 2133 mhz of it not the full 3000mhz

Ah okay interesting. Lets say in the future I upgrade to an i9-9900k, would my RAM then reach the 3000MHZ thresh hold?

2 minutes ago, LinusRamQuestion said:

Ah okay interesting. Lets say in the future I upgrade to an i9-9900k, would my RAM then reach the 3000MHZ thresh hold?

No because i9-9900K supports up to DDR4-2666MHz, tho you won't be able to put i9-9900K in your current motherboard :D you gotta make sure your next motherboard can work with 2666MHz too (most of them will do)

No because i9-9900K supports up to DDR4-2666MHz, tho you won't be able to put i9-9900K in your current motherboard :D you gotta make sure your next motherboard can work with 2666MHz too (most of them will do)

Damn this is a headache lol. Appreciate your help my friend