CPU Socket adapter?

Do you ever think having a socket adapter for your cpu could be possible, like you can put an amd cpu in a z390 mobo, like you put the adapter in the socket and put the cpu in the adapter, assuming the cooler properly mounts, what are technological drawbacks of doing this and is it possible to be engineered or not.

@redbread123 Pretty sure that's not possible, because the number of pins is usually different between different sockets. How should an adapter compensate for extra/missing pins? In addition to less/more pins, pin assignment may be different, so the adapter might have to route pins all over the place. Pins also may have different voltages than what the CPU expects on a certain pin, so your adapter would have to account for that. Last but not least, the chipset on the motherboard has to be compatible with the CPU, so swapping an Intel for an AMD on an Intel board... nope.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Unfortunately will not work because of chipset, power, wiring and firmware differences. The firmware will not support other CPUs, and flashing it to one from another board that does will not work because it will not be compatible with any of the chips on the board.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

13 minutes ago, Genwyn said:

There was the ECS pF88 extreme that had a expansion boards for other sockets

That looks more like an additional motherboard that plugs into a PCI slot to add another CPU, rather than an adapter that adapts a CPU to a different socket :D

Good examples though ?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

i havent heard of this since back in the days when CPUs came on slots  ( pentium 2 or 3 i think ) . nothing relivent today far as i know