Windows wont allow me to use all of my ram. Help!

Just now, Cameron84311 said:

im not too sure what you mean by this, again im not too tech heavy and i barely know stuff like this. Also, i dont have the motherbaord manual as i bought this from a friend last year.

Good job the manuals are available online.

Here's the steps outlined in your manual:

image.png.770b491294f01d8266cf189986dca16e.png

I actually leave the power cord in and have the PSU switch ON. Just makes it handier when starting again.

Here's a link to download your manual/open in browser:

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-970a-ds3p_v.2.x_e.pdf

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

1 minute ago, Cameron84311 said:

Just an update to this: i took out the kingston 4gb stick that was in slot 2 and its now showing up with all 16gb without a problem. Im just gonna leave them two in for now. If you guys have any idea on what that could mean i'd leave to hear what you all have to say. Thanks for all helping me though :))

image.png.f0186a8675a2cfb1b855428fc51ed121.png

image.png.cdbc44d516f74403d048bb186468b4f7.png

What I suspect was happening is the way the RAM was installed, since they are different capacities, they were running at the limit of the lower capacity (4GB). And since it was 4GB in channel A and "4GB" in channel B, that left the remaining 12 that was 'technically' seen by the motherboard to be 'Hardware reserved'.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

2 minutes ago, The1Dickens said:

What I suspect was happening is the way the RAM was installed, since they are different capacities, they were running at the limit of the lower capacity (4GB). And since it was 4GB in channel A and "4GB" in channel B, that left the remaining 12 that was 'technically' seen by the motherboard to be 'Hardware reserved'.

ahhh right thats understandable, so if i wanted to get 2 new sticks and put them in slot 2 and 4, what would i do?

Just now, Cameron84311 said:

ahhh right thats understandable, so if i wanted to get 2 new sticks and put them in slot 2 and 4, what would i do?

Ideally, same brand and capacity as the current 8GB sticks, and fill the empty slots.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

did yu search for the bios settings i put on a previous post? The problem is propably due to the fact that they reservew an amount of memory for your hardware. that means a setting in bios is enabled so that onboard gpus propably or processor gpu taking memory for each own graphics card. although fx amds cpu is not coming with one.

try this one too

Click Start, type msconfig in the Search programs and files box, and then click msconfig in the Programs list.

b.      In the System Configuration window, click Advanced options on the Boot tab.

c.       Click to clear the Maximum memory check box, and then click OK.

d.      Restart the computer.