I keep breaking my headphones

Alpha17x
Go to solution Solved by rice guru,
1 hour ago, Alpha17x said:

I'd like to get better and potentially more expensive ones but I've long been afraid to because I don't know what I'm doing that's causing my headphones to break. and like I said, I have actually gone into consultation about it because I'd just like to get some and have them and for that to be that.  I strongly feel that while sound quality has definitely gone up, actually construction has suffered over time.  I have a pair of not great sounding cans from the early 90s.  I could spike those into the ground and they'd still be fine... I say this because as an angry child I spiked them into the ground.

Or you could just be buying headphones with awful construction. Beyerdynamics are usually built like tanks look at the dt990,dt770,custom one pro , and custom studio those are all mean to be abused if you break something you can go to the beyerdynamic website and just buy the part to replace it. Still wouldn't reccomend Sennheiser to you as you might be the type to slam stuff on the ground. Takstar pro 82 is super well built for a Chinese can, the m40x has great plastic build quality even better than the more expensive worse sounding m50x.fostex has always built tanks. You are honestly probably just looking at the wrong places

This has gone on for the better part of 20 years and I was quite sick of it a long time ago. it keeps me from buying anything above $100.
I've even talked to audiophiles to show them how I'm adjusting the band, how I handle them when I'm taking them on and off, how I put them down (on a hook or stand), Yet every single pair of headphones I've purchased with the exception of one pair, have the exact same kind of break, and the exact same design where the cup and bands connect.

I've included a picture as an example so everyone can be dissapointed in me.

The one pair that has never had an issue are some really old ones from the early 90s, on those the band connects to the outside of the cups right around the middle and seems more integrated rather than the flimsy connection (my opinion) that everyone else seems to use.

Maybe in-ears should be my thing? 

baddesign.jpg

I don't see why the headphones would break like that if you were careful with them. I abuse my Logitech G933s and they are still going strong 4 years later without any physical signs of wear.

I don't see how this could happen with even a well made budget headset like the HyperX Clouds which have a metal connection where the headphones in the picture broke. If you really have had enough of this issue get I nice expensive pair of IEMs and you'll be golden.

So wait you gently set your headset down on the desk, walk away, and when you come back some gremlin has snapped your headset? But in all seriousness those headphones in the picture look pretty frail tbh. Are you looking for something for gaming with a mic? I just got these at a considerable discount and I've been really happy so far.  

10 minutes ago, Blatcher2 said:

I abuse my Logitech G933s

Okay, but your Logitechs are alien tanks compared to the set in the picture.

23 minutes ago, Alpha17x said:

This has gone on for the better part of 20 years

You put up with it for 20 years?! Jeezus, you have some determination. I mean, LTT just posted a video earlier today about headphones without that part altogether. So maybe look at those? I can vouch for the comfort and sound of Beats Powerbeats 3 (I don't know anything about the new pods), and I used to wear them walking to and from work (about an hour each way), and a good part of the day at work just fine. Out of 2 pairs, 1 got crushed (dropped them in a parking lot, got run over), and 1 got swiped (left the room (where I was the only one working) and when I returned later in the day, they were gone).

Depending on what you want them for, too, the Logitechs look like, well, alien tanks. I have a pair of Roland RH-300s that I really like, and Sennheiser Urbanite XL (wired, not wireless), both of which sound nice and are comfortable. But, yeah, probably try a few pairs of in-ears, or ear-hooks.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

54 minutes ago, Alpha17x said:

This has gone on for the better part of 20 years and I was quite sick of it a long time ago. it keeps me from buying anything above $100.
I've even talked to audiophiles to show them how I'm adjusting the band, how I handle them when I'm taking them on and off, how I put them down (on a hook or stand), Yet every single pair of headphones I've purchased with the exception of one pair, have the exact same kind of break, and the exact same design where the cup and bands connect.

The one pair that has never had an issue are some really old ones from the early 90s, on those the band connects to the outside of the cups right around the middle and seems more integrated rather than the flimsy connection (my opinion) that everyone else seems to use.

baddesign.jpg

Have a look at the RIG 500 series, these are inexpensive and you can buy the head strap on its own so you can replace it if you break it, might end up a bit cheaper over time

also RIG 500 is my goto when buying someone who is a tad rough with headsets, and the 500E (i think) was the first headset that i got for myself

Be more gentle with your things. That's all I can say. I've never broken a set of headphones, and definitely not like that.

Have you thought of trying something like HiFiMan's design? Maybe that'd fix your issue.

Spoiler

image.png.60599dfb36eac66d5352049cb0db9d86.png

Or these guys.

Spoiler

image.png.71debd4cf8a70d6c4783abf84c986853.png

Or maybe don't leave them outside or in the basement when the temps drop too low ?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I used to break my cheap headphones haven't broken a headphone that cost me more than $50. Mainly because I try to buy headphones that are constructed well. Just try to be more gentle I find the cheaper I buy something the more likely am I to abuse it. 

My Superlux HD681EVO broke regularly, about twice-thrice a year. Because of warranty got new ones, those broke also.

Now I prefer cheap ISK headphones (HF2010). Have not broken for over a year. 

I edit my posts more often than not

15 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

your Logitechs are alien tanks

Certainly not. They are bulky and look like tanks, but in reality they are shockingly light. The plastic is very thin and hollowed out to cram in the wireless tech. I don't think they would survive very long in the OP's use.

Agree with this: 

12 hours ago, rice guru said:

I used to break my cheap headphones haven't broken a headphone that cost me more than $50. Mainly because I try to buy headphones that are constructed well. Just try to be more gentle I find the cheaper I buy something the more likely am I to abuse it. 

Just buy headphones with metal or high quality plastic construction. The model really depends on your budget and use case. Don't buy a cheap $50 headset and do your research.

On 10/15/2019 at 9:32 PM, Ehmc130 said:

So wait you gently set your headset down on the desk, walk away, and when you come back some gremlin has snapped your headset? But in all seriousness those headphones in the picture look pretty frail tbh. Are you looking for something for gaming with a mic? I just got these at a considerable discount and I've been really happy so far.  

First of all, try not to be a dick.  Second of all, thanks for taking the time to reply.   It happens after around 2-ish years. It doesn't just magically happen in a single moment, and it specifically happens with that type of connect between the can and the band.

On 10/15/2019 at 10:17 PM, WickedStarfish said:

Have a look at the RIG 500 series, these are inexpensive and you can buy the head strap on its own so you can replace it if you break it, might end up a bit cheaper over time

also RIG 500 is my goto when buying someone who is a tad rough with headsets, and the 500E (i think) was the first headset that i got for myself

I'll keep it in mind. I have no idea what else I can do to be ... not rough with them. it's not like I try to bend them in half when I take them off or put them on. Thanks for replying

On 10/16/2019 at 1:35 AM, rice guru said:

I'd like to get better and potentially more expensive ones but I've long been afraid to because I don't know what I'm doing that's causing my headphones to break. and like I said, I have actually gone into consultation about it because I'd just like to get some and have them and for that to be that.  I strongly feel that while sound quality has definitely gone up, actually construction has suffered over time.  I have a pair of not great sounding cans from the early 90s.  I could spike those into the ground and they'd still be fine... I say this because as an angry child I spiked them into the ground.

1 hour ago, Alpha17x said:

Or you could just be buying headphones with awful construction. Beyerdynamics are usually built like tanks look at the dt990,dt770,custom one pro , and custom studio those are all mean to be abused if you break something you can go to the beyerdynamic website and just buy the part to replace it. Still wouldn't reccomend Sennheiser to you as you might be the type to slam stuff on the ground. Takstar pro 82 is super well built for a Chinese can, the m40x has great plastic build quality even better than the more expensive worse sounding m50x.fostex has always built tanks. You are honestly probably just looking at the wrong places

9 hours ago, rice guru said:

You're more than likely correct. I think I'm just going to have to suck it up and dive in.  I've probably spent more on 'low tier' than I would have buying something on the highest of the high end (both in quality and construction)

Buy the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro or 990 Pro.

I know the band looks fragile because of how small it is, but keep in mind that it's fully f***ing metal.

This adjustment band will BEND before breaking.

If you do however end up breaking something it'll most likely be the part connecting the metal band to the head cushion. (See: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/broken-beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-what-to-do.567085/)

(Keep in mind Beyerdynamic's headphone EQ is slightly bassy and trebly, some people find it too sharp sounding)

On 10/16/2019 at 6:19 AM, Alpha17x said:

baddesign.jpg

You could get your self a pair of marvo headphones they are inexpencive and good sound and biuld quality