I am looking for a cheapish, close to DIN A4 sized tablet to write on

salatji

Hey there. I am currently looking for a fairly big tablet I can write on. I have considered several options, but as a student my budget is limited.

Right now I am kinda thinking about getting myself my first Apple product, the new iPad. With student discounts, it'll be roughly 300€ for me plus the pen. That's 400€ in total.

The alternative I've been thinking off was the Surface Go, but  that's already 450€ and I have to get a typecover and a pencil, so it'll probably total around 600ish€.

Are there more options I have yet to find or are there other budget friendly tablets that are good to take notes on and have a paper page sized screen?

I only plan to  take notes during classes, so as long as you can write on it (and feels as close to paper as possible), any tablet will do...

1 minute ago, salatji said:

I only plan to  take notes during classes, so as long as you can write on it (and feels as close to paper as possible), any tablet will do...

literally why are you switching then

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

I could perhaps understand needing a tablet if you draw a lot for an art class etc, but if you just need a tablet to act like pen and paper... Then just buy the pen and paper. It costs a lot less than the price of a tablet, plus it's much easier to collate everything when it comes to revision and the like. Why make life harder for yourself and lose money at the same time? 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

With Tablets, you will never get close to Pen and Paper. Stack that up with input issues and such, you are better off as all the others have said to save the money and buy a nice notebook and pen/pencil. 

From personal experience I used to have a gateway laptop that had a swivel screen and a decent pen (XP era). It was nice, but I had nothing but problems with it either not picking up what I was putting down or distorting my pen strokes. Even now with my Drawing tables, writing on them sucks. 

Ok, first: i am asking for recommendations, so I would love to get some input or suggestions for tablets up to 600ish € that have a responsive pen for writing. 

Secondly: it is not my first year, but I realized that it always goes like this: I print out the handout, write some notes on it. Then I copy it and port them in a pdf/word file and condense it and print it out to learn. With a tablet to write I immediately have them in a digital form. Plus I am fairly chaotic when taking notes, so the ability to cut out part of my notes and put them in the right spot seems pretty helpful to me.

Allow me to suggest an alternative to writing, what about a small factor notebook loaded up with Microsoft One-note?

As a previous student who did what you are trying to do, unless you have beautiful handwriting, tablets are ass for note taking.

The problem is I have to draw diagrams as well from time to time or extend existing ones, that's why I am trying to find a tablet with fairly large screen. 

I am also deciding if it is worth it in the end or not, but so far I only really consider either the iPad or the surface, so I was hoping to get other tablets to try out an take into consideration. 

I am currently looking for a fairly big tablet I can write on

Have you looked into an Ipad pro 12.9 first gen?

There are a few comparison videos on youtube between new and old ipad. It still has the newest OS version, the recently Ipad OS.

I am also a student and recently bought a used one this year on ebay for ~350 € + pen. I only use it for writing and browsing and did not notice any lag whatsoever. Battery depends on the previous usage of course but mine still lasts 10+ hours with low backlight (no need for high backlight when writing in my eyes). It is still a great tablet.
The only problem is that repairing the tablet is not an option as even third party repair charges more than the tablet is worth. You can however change the battery if you want. The cheapest option is Apple with 99 €. Yes newer Ipads have a better screen but it is still fine, nothing to complain about.

You might ask why I didn´t buy the new Ipad? It was because of the size. I prefer to have a DIN A4 Tablet to write on so I don´t have to scroll as much.

12 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

The only problem is that repairing the tablet is not an option as even third party repair charges more than the tablet is worth.

^^ Just here to back this statement up. I've opened up iPad Minis and that's not something I want to repeat ever again, an iPad Pro would be a nightmare. They're held together with glue so they're properly rigid, but once you crack them it makes repair a nightmare. Which makes it take a long time (and you have to go even slower to avoid breaking it more), add the cost of parts on top of that and it adds up to a pretty expensive repair. They are excellent tablets though, I had a 1st gen 12.9" (it died, but was to be expected because it had some wacky issue that was temporarily solved by actually freezing it for 3 days then thawing it out) and lordie they're damn good. The screen is impressive, battery life was excellent, they're snappy AF, and the speakers are incredible. I mostly used it for mucking around and some racing games, but it would indeed make an excellent drawing surface. Just follow the most important rule of mobile device repair: don't break it in the first place. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch