Acer predator hardrive fail

I have been renting a Acer predator helios 500 the i7 model since 5 months ago, i always have it sitting half a foot every day from the subwoofer of a 2,500 watt sony muteki home theater.  Up to any where 15 hours every single day, to play Skyrim SE for pc, and i never use experience any such a problem until lately when Skyrim SE on my C drive would not Launch at all, thinking it must be faulty game on steam on my C drive, i didn't have a clue, is it my Nortons anti virus or is it Vortex mod manager, i try to Launch without vortex no still will not launch so it won't Launch without vortex, also do i have enough space on C drive with UE4 and twin motion so i moved all that to D drive should be right, now C drive 35 GB available, lets try still would not launch for a month nothing.

Now had enough i decided to who im i gonna call Dr pc, so Dr pc came and see problem is, and guess Hardrive D is failing, he took my acer predator back to his work shop and the to radio rentals maintenance repairs, now radio rentals now had to send computer to acer to replace corrupt D drive with a new 1 TB D drive and nothing can be recovered, i would like to ask why do Hardrive fail?

ah well, dont quote me on this. 

The thing is the Hard drive is its actually one of the few if not only moving pieces of a laptop if you also consider the the screen hinge and fans. Not only that, Hard drives are much more delicate than hinges and fans. They have to be writing/reading data on the precise spot down to the smallest of units. They can also break if you put a magnet above them, so they are prone to damage from magnets. Not to mention if you were to knock or drop the machine about and around, the hard drive is probably going to be among the parts most likely to be damaged and fail. compare this to SSDs which are WAY WAY faster, more reliable cause they have no moving parts and much smaller in size. The only downside being theyre not as cheap, so mid-range to low range laptops like to pare a small space SSD(lets say a 128GB or 256GB SSD as seen with some Lenovo configs or Predator) with a 1TB Hard drive for storage.

They may be cheap storage, but they're slow, prone to damage and overall dated. SSDs are getting cheap nowadays so i never buy laptops with HDDs.

They do have their uses in desktop PCs and servers though cause theyr not moving around so its a good choice for big storage there like videos and pictures, but for laptops? Not great.  

Really hard drives are kinda stupid on laptops..... I went for a laptop with a 512GB SSD and a massive battery so i get 6-7 hours of daily use out of my Zephyrus G cause it doesnt make room for that stupidly big hard drive. 

It's worth mentioning if your stereos were making things visibly vibrate, and the hard drive is reading/writing, the vibration can throw off the arm so that can damage it. 

Hard drives can withstand sudden shocks and vibrations well but if it happens while it's reading/writing, then yes that can damage it. 

On 10/13/2019 at 11:30 PM, James Aplin said:

would like to ask why do Hardrive fail?

Well the motor driving the platters can fail. Then there is the motor that drives the read/write heads. The read/write heads sit above the platter in such a way a human hair cant fit between them. So shocks can cause the read/write head to impact the platters surface and damage it. Phsycial damage to the drive will cause data to generally be unrecoverable. Also the hard disk controller that sits on the bottom of the drive cause also fail. That controls the opperations of the drive. 

So in all, lots of shit can take out a drive. 3 to 5 years is the average lifespan of a mechinaical disk. This is why you should only use SSD's in mobile computers. Becuase they can survive more shit. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Thank you very much Donut417 for your reply, so now what i am thinking down the track, is replace the 1 TB HDD acer is going to replace the faulty D Drive with so later on i replace the 1 TB HDD with a Samsung 1 TB SSD evo 860, while its under Radio rentals control, while im renting.