Best linux distros for noob mate who want program with python.

I want start using linux. I know like what SUDO dos and some network commands nothing else @Genwyn

Why linux to program with Python? 

There's no real need, you can use windows or Mac or whatever he prefers. 

To be honest i'd recommend him to start learning while using the OS he's most comfortable with, you don't wanna be fighting with a new OS while learning *anything* else.

If you wanna learn Linux, then you should start with an ubuntu-based distro, as those are the most beginner friendly. Ubuntu 18.04, Xubuntu, Linux Mint, ElementaryOS... There are a number of distros.

I've enjoyed Mint myself. Now im stuck with CentOS for work :)

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

I've never had a good experience with Ubuntu, and I find the included DE to be complete shit.

Try Manjaro. I love Deepin DE, so try that, too.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I've never had a good experience with Ubuntu, and I find the included DE to be complete shit.

Try Manjaro. I love Deepin DE, so try that, too.

Can you tell me more people say Ununtu is bad, what kind of problems. 

4 minutes ago, VeikkQ said:

Ubuntu is that one Linux distribution that is kind of trying to become the most dominant Linux distribution. One incident was when they tried to end support for 32-Bit applications, which caused Steam to get angry and said as soon as Ubuntu did that, they would end support for Ubuntu. Luckily Ubuntu came to their senses and kept 32-Bit Application support.

Just now, Grayson Pollard said:

Ubuntu is that one Linux distribution that is kind of trying to become the most dominant Linux distribution. One incident was when they tried to end support for 32-Bit applications, which caused Steam to get angry and said as soon as Ubuntu did that, they would end support for Ubuntu.

And now Apple has done the same and lo and behold there's now a 64 bit Steam client for macOS :D

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

4 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

And now Apple has done the same and lo and behold there's now a 64 bit Steam client for macOS :D

The issue is not that, the issue is that the game runtime dependencies that currently run on 32 bit will stop working. 
Valve in particular and the community in general are trying to make Linux a viable choice of OS for gamers, ubuntu dropping support for 32-bit apps will mean that there will be a large number of currently supported games that will suddently stop working.

On the other hand, Mac is less and less a viable OS for gamers, and Apple does not give a shit about us either. The number of MacOS supported games is even smaller than Linux supported ones, so if apple wants to shoot themselves on the foot even more, that's up to them.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

I have tried all the distros over the years. There are two main branches of distros: Debian and Redhat. Debian is corporate-redhat's hippie cousin. I just use Ubuntu which is derived from debian. There are others, that I can talk about, but you cant go wrong with either.

Hardware:

Debian is a great alternative to unbuntu and the testing branch is Ubuntu's daddy. Debian's stable releases are slower so its not as good as Ubuntu if you have new hardware. Arch linux (is its own beast not based on anything) has even faster release cycles. I had to use archlinux for a while on a laptop once because only arch had a linux kernel version that had drivers for my wifi.

Fedora is Redhat's free community OS that has really fast release cycles. IMO its not as polished as Ubuntu but gets you into the redhat world without the redhat price.

Desktop & performance

Ubuntu had its controversies in the past but now they are using Gnome desktop its great. You can install almost any desktop on almost any distro and they all work great. The light weight ones are obsolete IMO because even my budget intel NUC can handle KDE and Gnome. If you install Ubuntu as a base you can add the xubuntu and lubuntu desktops on top without having to install a new OS, and you can remove them if you don't like them. Same goes for the redhat based distros.

9 minutes ago, Xaring said:

The issue is not that, the issue is that the game runtime dependencies that currently run on 32 bit will stop working. 
Valve in particular and the community in general are trying to make Linux a viable choice of OS for gamers, ubuntu dropping support for 32-bit apps will mean that there will be a large number of currently supported games that will suddently stop working.

On the other hand, Mac is less and less a viable OS for gamers, and Apple does not give a shit about us either. The number of MacOS supported games is even smaller than Linux supported ones, so if apple wants to shoot themselves on the foot even more, that's up to them.

I maybe want do some game on Linux dose that limit my choice. 

1 minute ago, Xaring said:

Yeah, I know, I just found it funny. Of course the market power of Apple, Canonical and Valve are wildly different. Most games that work fine on Linux are older and most older games are 32 bit, so dropping 32 bit would certainly not be a good move.

17 minutes ago, VeikkQ said:

Besides the fact that Unity is hideous, runs slow, and just isn't a good DE at all, Ubuntu itself has never run well on about half a dozen different PCs I've tried it on, everything from Ivy Bridge Celerons to my main rig.

Manjaro is more stable and just better overall. Plus, you can use the Arch Wiki.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, VeikkQ said:

Linux in general or Ubuntu in particular? Linux certainly limits your choice, though the number of games that work there is growing. Ubuntu is the one distribution officially supported by Valve, so that should give you the least trouble as far as installation is concerned.

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Besides the fact that Unity is hideous, runs slow, and just isn't a good DE at all, Ubuntu itself has never run well on about half a dozen different PCs I've tried it on, everything from Ivy Bridge Celerons to my main rig.

Manjaro is more stable and just better overall. Plus, you can use the Arch Wiki.

Ubuntu switched to Gnome, you know?

1 minute ago, VeikkQ said:

no. That controversy is about the next version of ubuntu. If you install the long-term supported version (18.04) you will get security updates for ages. Also I think they doubled down on ending 32-bit support. Ubuntu has two versions; an Long Term Support (LTS) and non-LTS. https://ubuntu.com/about/release-cycle

I use the LTS, unless I have brand new hardware that needs the kernel and drivers from the newest ubuntu version.

2 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Besides the fact that Unity is hideous, runs slow, and just isn't a good DE

Unity died ages ago. You have been living under a rock!

2 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Ubuntu switched to Gnome, you know?

Just now, Bacon soup said:

Unity died ages ago. You have been living under a rock!

My bad, didn't realize. Still not a fan of it lol. I used Disco Dingo and it sucked.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

My bad, didn't realize. Still not a fan of it lol. I used Disco Dingo and it sucked.

It too took me a while to get over the bad taste of Unity. The big bloated distros of the past are now slick & fast and are as customizable as gentoo or arch

28 minutes ago, VeikkQ said:

Many people that dislike Ubuntu do so because of it's default Desktop Environment, GNOME.  The Desktop Environment (DE) is what determines how the desktop looks and feels. There are other "flavors" of Ubuntu that have different DEs, like Kubuntu, which uses KDE; Xubuntu, which uses xfce; or lubuntu, a more lightweight version that runs LXQt. 

I would personally recommend starting with base, GNOME Ubuntu.  It is fairly easy to change DEs after you've learned the ropes, and will have the most relevant support.

I would recommend disabling animations in GNOME though, as they are what many perceive as it running terribly (Here's how)

And here's how to change DEs in case you decide you don't like GNOME: https://www.howtogeek.com/193129/how-to-install-and-use-another-desktop-environment-on-linux/

(I recommend trying KDE, I like it)

After installing another DE, you can easily switch between them when you log in, just by selecting a different one at the password screen.

8 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Besides the fact that Unity is hideous, runs slow, and just isn't a good DE at all,

Ubuntu doesn't run unity anymore. 

9 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Ubuntu itself has never run well on about half a dozen different PCs I've tried it on, everything from Ivy Bridge Celerons to my main rig.

Try disabling window animations, It will feel WAY snappier.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

8 minutes ago, FezBoy said:

Try disabling window animations, It will feel WAY snappier

Not even performance wise. I mean, performance sucked, but it was crashing and freezing all the damn time.

Never using Ubuntu again.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

46 minutes ago, VeikkQ said:

Yes and no. Many games are not avaliable at all with linux. Other's youll have to run wine, some have native support for linux. You'll need to check case by case.

If you wanna game, sticking to windows is your best choice. You always have Linux Subsystems for Windows and many distros from the windows store.

I'm a firm believer of just using the OS you're most comfortable with. You wanna learn linux but wanna game? Dual boot or use a VM or Linux subsistem, etc...

@XaringYah I have that Linux terminal installed on Windows, Wine dos not always work that well least for me so maybe I need get out of gaming habit. But I was thinking like installing Linux on laptop and still keep 'gaming machine'.

8 hours ago, VeikkQ said:

@XaringYah I have that Linux terminal installed on Windows, Wine dos not always work that well least for me so maybe I need get out of gaming habit. But I was thinking like installing Linux on laptop and still keep 'gaming machine'.

As Xaring suggested, you can always dual boot. That's what I do. I use Linux for (almost) everything (including games that run on it) and Windows for all the other games that don't. Or if you just want to run Python on Linux you could always set up a Virtual Machine, without having to reboot each time you want to do something differently.

Also, there are Solaris (OpenIndiana) and BSD (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, ...) which all come with Python as well.

Write in C.