Does anyone know what this sound is?

MBussard45

I've just recently discovered it as im getting into voice recording, my setup is pretty simple, At2020->Art Tube MP Studio->Behringer Xenyx 802->Mic in jack. I've done testing of my setup before and have never heard this sound, ive replaced both my mixer board and tube amp, im even running both off of a power conditioner. I still cant figure it out, help please!

what is this.mp3

I've just recently discovered it as im getting into voice recording, my setup is pretty simple, At2020->Art Tube MP Studio->Behringer Xenyx 802->Mic in jack. I've done testing of my setup before and have never heard this sound, ive replaced both my mixer board and tube amp, im even running both off of a power conditioner. I still cant figure it out, help please!

Sounds like interference by a power source to me,

either that or the gain is set too high on one of your devices, I'm guessing your mixer.

#!

Wow that was fast, thank you! So i tried gain and it seemed to help but it was definitely still there, so i put all volume adjusting, gain, everything down and now i got this awful noise. 

Untitled 1.mp3

Sounds like interference by a power source to me,

either that or the gain is set too high on one of your devices, I'm guessing your mixer.

Okay so i think the squeaking is something i can deal with cause it gets drowned out but i upped the gain to high so the background noise im hearing would be more clear and this is the result, pay no attention to the clock. :)

poo.mp3

Wow that was fast, thank you! So i tried gain and it seemed to help but it was definitely still there, so i put all volume adjusting, gain, everything down and now i got this awful noise. 

Something is wrong with your equipment in regards to power as EmoRarity said, EMI. I'm guessing your AT2020 is XLR? Try another XLR port on your mixer, and see if that cures the issue. If not, my guess would be a problem with that mixer.

All comes down to starting off with one piece of equipment, and keep adding until you see the problem, but it's kind of hard when you don't have multiple mixers/audio equipment lying around :P

#!

I can barely hear that, barely, which means most online playback methods and VoIP's won't. 
Edit, Poo.mp3 is static, check your cable for breaks, if you have another xlr mix, use it to check the amp.

Something is wrong with your equipment in regards to power as EmoRarity said, EMI. I'm guessing your AT2020 is XLR? Try another XLR port on your mixer, and see if that cures the issue. If not, my guess would be a problem with that mixer.

All comes down to starting off with one piece of equipment, and keep adding until you see the problem, but it's kind of hard when you don't have multiple mixers/audio equipment lying around :P

Yes it is xlr :P ill try the other xlr input and then try your idea of adding one piece at a time, and trying to get it as far away from power sources, thank you btw like a lot :)

I can barely hear that, barely, which means most online playback methods and VoIP's won't. 

Edit, Poo.mp3 is static, check your cable for breaks, if you have another xlr mix, use it to check the amp.

Wow rarely? I can hear it quite clearly, well the poo.mp3 file, lol. I'm playing it back in VLC mind you at 100%

#!

dylan or one of the other regulars will have to continue helping, I need to bed, I have to was my car again tomorrow morning. Moose would be a good option, I'll let him know.
1517617_576502639104957_1901875813_n.jpg
Have car, car is nice. 

Wow rarely? I can hear it quite clearly, well the poo.mp3 file, lol. I'm playing it back in VLC mind you at 100%

Should be noted that I am not using my monitors, using some shit Ultrasones. 
But I had to max my O2 to hear the "untitled" file. 

Thank you for all your help, i've just been messing around with different cables, taking out the mixr in the equation and putting it back in, and the loud buzzing i guess noise, not the squeak is gone, and its in the exact same setup as i originally had it. Oh audio you pain in the ass.

Thank you for all your help, i've just been messing around with different cables, taking out the mixr in the equation and putting it back in, and the loud buzzing i guess noise, not the squeak is gone and its in the exact same setup as i originally had it. Oh audio you pain in the ass.

I feel your pain man, if I think of any other solutions to your issue I'll be sure to either comment here, or PM you. 

#!

Hey, I haven't read all the way through yet but the first thing I'd do is plug the mic straight in to the mixer and not use the art tube. Then turn the master fader all the way down and set the eq to 0dB, start using the mic at the normal level you want to record at and turn the initial trim up until the clip light (next to the pan dial) illuminates. Then turn it down until it no longer illuminates. This is to set the gain of the mic preamp so it is as high as it can be without clipping. Ensure the fader for the mic channel is set to 0dB. The next thing to do is plug the output of the mixer into a line in of your sound card.  Once that is right monitor the line in of your sound card and turn the master faders of the mixer up until it is loud enough to hear clearly without distortion.  once this is set you can then use the mic channel fader to control the volume of the mic, and all other things being equal you should have very little static or buzzing in the mix. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.