Is there any way to upgrade laptop speakers?

Iverol

I own a Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IBD. Everything about it is perfect except for one thing. The speaker (yes it's mono). It's weak as hell. The deal is I have. A lot of space inside for a different one. i don't expect it the sound to be "dolby atmos" level or something. I just need it to be more powerful and not as lackluster. I know it can't get stereo because it only has two pins.

Has this even been attempted before?

I'll be extremely thankful if any of you guys have recommendations for a suitable speaker to go inside. I know this laptop top to bottom and inside. Secondary hdd cady, replaced the dc jack, fixed some keyboard problems the secondary owner thought were permanent. If the connector doesn't match I'll just hack it off the old one and solder it to the new one. Anything goes wrong, I solder it back so no problem here. I just need it to be about the same height but larger width. Thanks in advance!

P.s. The speaker is truly bad. I tried to clean it and it mildly impoved the sound quality but not by much.

11 hours ago, Iverol said:

I own a Lenovo Ideapad 100-15IBD. Everything about it is perfect except for one thing. The speaker (yes it's mono). It's weak as hell. The deal is I have. A lot of space inside for a different one. i don't expect it the sound to be "dolby atmos" level or something. I just need it to be more powerful and not as lackluster. I know it can't get stereo because it only has two pins.

Has this even been attempted before?

I'll be extremely thankful if any of you guys have recommendations for a suitable speaker to go inside. I know this laptop top to bottom and inside. Secondary hdd cady, replaced the dc jack, fixed some keyboard problems the secondary owner thought were permanent. If the connector doesn't match I'll just hack it off the old one and solder it to the new one. Anything goes wrong, I solder it back so no problem here. I just need it to be about the same height but larger width. Thanks in advance!

P.s. The speaker is truly bad. I tried to clean it and it mildly impoved the sound quality but not by much.

You could try to find a really low profile driver and mount it inside somehow, take a look at partsexpress for drivers. https://www.parts-express.com/cat/mini-speakers/27

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

• 3 months later...

Bruh.. i have similiar laptop...

and the Speaker is Freakin BAD, 

im looking at google and cant find upgrade path of the internal speaker

Possible? Yes.

Worth the time/money investment? Unlikely.

A good speaker is more than just a better driver. There's all sorts of mathematics for the enclosure resonations, damping materials, porting harmonics....

10 hours ago, ShearMe said:

Possible? Yes.

Worth the time/money investment? Unlikely.

A good speaker is more than just a better driver. There's all sorts of mathematics for the enclosure resonations, damping materials, porting harmonics....

Agree, i look for speaker replacement in Ebay and most of High ENd speaker have some sort of huge container for the speaker, meanwhile cheap laptop speaker is so tiny look like a freakin Nail.

Here is my crappy laptop speakers solution. It's portable, sounds good as can be expected out of the form factor and it works with other devices making it multi platform.

15808680329238865928557215338212.jpg

Also as a word of caution, it's possible that one of the primary reasons it sucks is due to bad chassis isolation/sound dynamics, which likely wouldn't be fixed by using a different driver.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Tbh, you should probably just get some external portable speakers. Building something like an entire new driver into a chassis that isn't made for it isn't gonna be worth your time and money...