D-Link DGS1005D vs D-Link AC 750 DIR-819

tomoki

Hi Everyone,

Just trying to set up a new service with an ISP. They'll be setting up a router at the front of the home but here's the issue. I'll need to spread out my network towards the back of the home; I already have a pretty powerful powerline ethernet that can port the connection to the back of the house. The computers are located at the back of the home.... 

So I dug up 2 items: a switch, a router

I don't really need wireless connection but I'd like to know which of the two are faster when conveying signal via ethernet cables. 

1st question: D-Link DGS1005D vs D-Link AC 750 DIR-819. Which is better in terms of a wired connection? 

2nd question, assume different scenario. Say the router is better of the two. How would I connect the first router (to be installed by ISP) to the second one so it acts as an access point? 

Thanks in advance! 

7 hours ago, tomoki said:

I don't really need wireless connection but I'd like to know which of the two are faster when conveying signal via ethernet cables. 

A router has a Wireless AP, Swtich, Firewall, NAT and DHCP server built in. So either would work. Your best bet would be the Swtich because you can just plug and play. You dont want to hook multiple routers together due to cascading NAT. That can cause problems in its self, you will have to configure it to get it to work properly without double NAT. Just get a decent Gigabit Swtich, you can find them for like $20 on Amazon all day long. 

Keep in mind you will be limited by your powerline adapter. Im guessing you going router to Power line to power line to Swtich. The power line adapters will be the weak link. While it might be a stable connection you might not get full speeds thru it. Just keep that in mind. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

A router has a Wireless AP, Swtich, Firewall, NAT and DHCP server built in. So either would work. Your best bet would be the Swtich because you can just plug and play. You dont want to hook multiple routers together due to cascading NAT. That can cause problems in its self, you will have to configure it to get it to work properly without double NAT. Just get a decent Gigabit Swtich, you can find them for like $20 on Amazon all day long. 

Keep in mind you will be limited by your powerline adapter. Im guessing you going router to Power line to power line to Swtich. The power line adapters will be the weak link. While it might be a stable connection you might not get full speeds thru it. Just keep that in mind. 

Sweet haha thanks for the info! I've went ahead and used the switch and yes, I'm going from router to powerline ethernet and then the switch. My powerline ethernet is this: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01H74VKZU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I've tried it out before I swapped internet and I think it depends from home to home and how the power is routed but I didn't face any bottleneck luckily. Fiber optics isn't available yet with this new service provider but it's in the works and will be coming. Once it does, I'll be up to the full speed both our strata and the ISP has promised.