Faulty psu?

OK so I have had a psu die on me once or twice but this one I just don't know. 

Its a hx1200i on a X399 threadripper system wich seems incredibly picky in some ways coming from Intel. 

It has corsair link and I have checked the voltages etc wich stay neatly within allowed tolerance. 

But if I connect multiple HDD to a single sata cable it will not boot/post/error just instant shut down after 1 second fan spin up. 

But each HDD with a cable works fine O_O. 

And in my old system it's all fine no matter what. 

I did recently get my mobo/cpu back and the cpu was dead and replaced, before this sata issue was found. 

Should I keep using this psu?

Is there a risk of something else dieing? 

Is X399 this picky and its all fine and safe now? 

Sorry for the long post but I am at a loss here I could go on about what it all took to find this issue and for the first time ever I'm just about done with pc's it's been a long road and I just want it over finally. 

Are the drives having a grounding issue?

Do they work if you remove them from the machine and just set them on the table outside the case?

Go into Corsair Link and disable multi rail OCP. Try using fewer HDDs per cable, and just connect several cables.

:)

1 minute ago, emosun said:

Are the drives having a grounding issue?

Do they work if you remove them from the machine and just set them on the table outside the case?

Its the same issue outside the case 1 hdd per cable works 2 on 1 cable does not {but 2 ssd on 1 cable works} 

1 minute ago, mebaby2 said:

Its the same issue outside the case 1 hdd per cable works 2 on 1 cable does not {but 2 ssd on 1 cable works} 

Hard drives don't pull enough wattage to really make it possible that several would be too much load. Even a low end 150w power supply could have a dozen hard drives on it.

I'm more leaning toward the cable itself or the drives themselves having a grounding issue or a short some where that causes them to pull way to much power or short out the power supply.

only real way to know would be to just jumper the 24pin connector on the power supply and ONLY run the hard drives off the same cable to see if they still shut the unit off.

@seon123

Atm I have 1 cable per hdd and the 2 ssd's on 1 cable and that works I will turn on single rail in link but will it all be OK to use?

I'm just scared something will die tbh I'm starting to doubt my pc know how at this point. 

Just now, mebaby2 said:

@seon123

Atm I have 1 cable per hdd and the 2 ssd's on 1 cable and that works I will turn on single rail in link but will it all be OK to use?

I'm just scared something will die tbh I'm starting to doubt my pc know how at this point. 

Using fewer drives per cable and leaving multi rail on is probably the best option.

:)

@emosun @seon123

I will leave 1 cable per hdd with multi rail as suggested by seon123. 

And emosun do you happen to know if checking the wattage use of the corresponding rail with corsair link? Or would that not be accurate enough? 

Just to rule out faulty psu completely. 

I have tried swapping psu sata cables en connectors on the psu itself. 

Link shows 25/35 Watts 5A on 5v and 5w 2A on 3.3v sorry not sure wich of these is for sata. 

Sata drives use 12v and 5v.

without testing how much wattage the drives themselves pull then you're gonna have the 5v wattage for the whole system being displayed there unless it says what each rail is pulling