"The modem has reported an error"

Go to solution Solved by xScratchHackerx,

Okay, so I've contacted my ISP and they said that they are currently working in the area (I'm assuming they are adding internet to houses since this street didn't have internet at all). So I should get internet this evening/tomorrow. 

Thank you for your time everyone!

Hey guys, 

So today I started getting a weird error while trying to connect to the internet via ethernet (this is a "direct connection" (idk what its called) so the cable thats supposed to be going into the router is going straight to my pc). I have no idea what happened since I have done absolutely nothing system settings wise.

If anyone could at least provide me with troubleshooting steps I would be grateful because troubleshooting network stuff is a really grey area for me and I have no idea where to start.

image.png.01ee4a79b00175a00f10a937789ed3ac.png

13 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Where's the cable going into your PC coming from?

Directly from the wall. Its the cable that's supposed to be going into a home router for example, but I don't have a router so my isp told me how to configure the internet connection so I can directly connect to my isp (idk if that's how it works)

Just now, Caroline said:

ethernet or the plain DSL cable

There's a difference? well i think its the DSL cable then

Just now, Caroline said:

There is. Some photos could help if you don't know what kind of jack you're using

If the cable from the wall and a landline phone are both connected into your PC it's dial-up. If not then it must be something else.

Its 1 jack that's set up as a dial-up connection

Just now, xScratchHackerx said:

Its 1 jack that's set up as a dial-up connection

That still doesn't tell us what type of cable it is... photos help. Most ISPs don't do direct connection anymore, which is why we're asking for details on whether its an RJ11 or RJ45 connector.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Just now, kirashi said:

That still doesn't tell us what type of cable it is... photos help. Most ISPs don't do direct connection anymore, which is why we're asking for details on whether its an RJ11 or RJ45 connector.

Ah, okay, got it. 1 sec I'll take a photo and post it here

5 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Most ISPs don't do direct connection anymore

Well they gave me a username and password. Don't know what that is. The connection type according to the document is PPPOE.

2 minutes ago, xScratchHackerx said:

--SNIP--

Righto, so that appears to be standard RJ45 ethernet. I have absolutely zero idea as to how you'd configure ethernet as a modem because I use simple DHCP either through my ISPs modem, or through a DMZ'd Netgear R7000 running customer firmware, depending on where the device is located within my network. You'll want to contact your ISP and/or Microsoft to investigate why Windows is telling you the modem is reporting an error, or at least find out if Windows will tell you the error details & post them here.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

1 minute ago, kirashi said:

at least find out if Windows will tell you the error details

I am trying to look for ways to find out how to see the error details but no luck

4 minutes ago, kirashi said:

You'll want to contact your ISP

I will contact my isp tomorrow and reply if there was any luck. (12:12am currently lol)

Okay, so I've contacted my ISP and they said that they are currently working in the area (I'm assuming they are adding internet to houses since this street didn't have internet at all). So I should get internet this evening/tomorrow. 

Thank you for your time everyone!