Maximum support of 1920x1080 plus ideas

Thanks for stopping by:

I have a 2017 macbook pro 15". I am wondering if it is possible to get 6 1920x1080 monitors hooked up to this computer and each monitor acting independently from each other. (I want the OS to be able to recognize each monitor as a an independent monitor. See the picture below to get an idea of what I want. 

Here is the specifications to my laptop.

https://support.apple.com/kb/SP756?locale=en_USScreenshot_20191009-134646_Instagram.thumb.jpg.3a285503b0440ee98a70b3d64ebc5eb5.jpg

It's possible if you got an eGPU dock, and put in a Visontek 7750, or any other GPU that supports 6 monitors.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Page says

• Up to two displays with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors
  • Up to four displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors
  • Up to four displays with 3840-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz at over a billion colors

You could get monitors with DisplayPort Passthrough feature and you'll get 4 displays.

Alternatively maybe a Thunderbolt hub with multiple video outputs?

You can probably go over the 4 limit using devices like Matrox DualHead2Go, which takes one DisplayPort input and creates two DVI ouputs... the device shows up as a 3840x1080 monitor and splits the image into 2 x 1920x1080 monitors.

example link : https://www.ebay.com/itm/Matrox-DualHead2Go-Digital-ME-Mac-Compatible/183920926916

There's a TripleHead2go version but it has one DVI Dual Link or VGA input and can do 3 monitors, but it's not sure you can do 3 x 1920x 1080. 

Basically, it can do it, provided you use DVI dual link and set the output to 5760x1080 and  50 Hz which some DisplayPort to DVI Dual Link adapters don't support. In fact most DisplayPort to DVI adapters are single link only, capping at 1920x1200 or something like that.

Yeah, sorry, not a Mac expert... so I guess he'd have to go with Thunderbolt  hub or something.

Any recommendations on a DP hub that will work well. I've been looking around but I have no idea who exactly makes good hubs.

2 hours ago, danthemandra93 said:

Any recommendations on a DP hub that will work well. I've been looking around but I have no idea who exactly makes good hubs.

No DP hub will work, since Mac OS doesn't support the DP MST protocol which is what DisplayPort uses to get multiple independent monitors from a single port. The only way is to use Thunderbolt daisy-chaining through a Thunderbolt display, or a Thunderbolt hub if that exists :/