CherryMX Grey Keyboards? If not CherryMX Clear recommendations

AnalogCanavity

I currently have MX Browns and love them, but they are to light for me. I have been looking for some MX Greys and found the KBParadise V80 but it is out of stock, and since grey is an unpopular switch I don't know when it will be back in stock. Are there any other MX Tactile Grey keyboards? If not would the VA87M be a good choice for MX Clears? or do you have other recommendations? Budget is around $150, prefer to use amazon or PayPal, want a TKL keyboard.
@geo3?

Thanks

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

How about a switch from a company that isn't Cherry...? You can simply desolder and replace the switches on your current keyboard with e.g. Box Royals ($0,50 per switch), Halo Royals ($0,55), Box Jades/Navies ($0,34), Zealios ($1,00), Gateron Ink Blues ($0,75) etc. There are so many good switches out there. 

The GMMK is a relatively inexpensive hot swappable keyboard, if you for some reason are unable to solder. 

:)

Any Leopold FC keyboard with Clears. But I would recommend you to not get Cherry clears. They're one of the last cherry switches that have to yet be retooled, so they are very scratchy. They also have very thick stems which sometimes causes keycap stems to crack. If you want something similar to Clears get Zealio V1s. 

I agree that you should get a better switch than cherry. The one you linked to has some Kailh options which would be vastly superior. The GMMK is also an option so you can put any switch. A cheaper path would be to replace or mod your current switches. You can get heavy springs or replace the stems. 

Do you just want a heavier brown or something with a larger tactile bump?

5 hours ago, geo3 said:

I agree that you should get a better switch than cherry. The one you linked to has some Kailh options which would be vastly superior. The GMMK is also an option so you can put any switch. A cheaper path would be to replace or mod your current switches. You can get heavy springs or replace the stems. 

Do you just want a heavier brown or something with a larger tactile bump?

9 hours ago, seon123 said:

How about a switch from a company that isn't Cherry...? You can simply desolder and replace the switches on your current keyboard with e.g. Box Royals ($0,50 per switch), Halo Royals ($0,55), Box Jades/Navies ($0,34), Zealios ($1,00), Gateron Ink Blues ($0,75) etc. There are so many good switches out there. 

The GMMK is a relatively inexpensive hot swappable keyboard, if you for some reason are unable to solder. 

I will get the GMMK, but what is the equivalent of Chery MX Clear/Greys from other brands that I could get, also why are the other switches "vastly superior", how are they better? I thought Cherry MX was the top brand? Also are SMD-LED switches just those clear switches that let RGB light through?

Thanks

"(1) High Frame Rates (2) Ultra Graphics Settings (3) Cheap>>>>Choose only two" Chevaishr

https://myanimelist.net/profile/AnalCavity

PCPartPicker URL

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/bsJ8TW 

4 hours ago, Zic05 said:

but what is the equivalent of Chery MX Clear/Greys from other brands that I could get,

Zealios. But if those are too expensive for you then get the Kailh pro purple that GMMK offers with the keyboard. 

4 hours ago, Zic05 said:

I thought Cherry MX was the top brand?

They used to be. But that was more than 5 years ago. They've stagnated while others have innovated. 

4 hours ago, Zic05 said:

also why are the other switches "vastly superior", how are they better?

I wouldn't say 'vastly'. Cherry are fairly middle of the road IMO. You could do a lot worse, but brands like Kailh, Outemu and Gateron have better offerings.  Gateron offers generally smoother switches. And Kailh has lot of variety and unique offerings.  

On 10/9/2019 at 12:50 PM, seon123 said:

or he could not be a brainlet and get a gmmk

also grey keyswitches if you have never felt before are so stupidly heavy and just uncomfortable ( please go to a shop around you with a grey switch keyboard on display and type a paragraph )

also why go for a "tactile but not clicky" switch? mx browns are some of the lamest switches around.

i thought i wanted tactile switches so i went through a couple of them and from different brands, then i tried reds, loved them, blacks, okay, some kalih linears and finally stopped at the wooting one, literally my most favorite keyboard of all time ever, so smooth so nice to type AND game on AND you can put the actuation point wherever you want on the keytravel.

Also if you do want tactile but not clicky,

Halo clears or Holy Pandas one or both of those are tactile but not clicky or just get the cheap mx clears.

If I had one wish, I would ask for a big enough ass for the whole world to kiss

9 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

please go to a shop around you with a grey switch keyboard on display

That's not very popular switch, doubt that's possible.

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

That's not very popular switch, doubt that's possible.

or at LEAST buy a single switch tester thing keychain mabob idk

i have never been as dissatisfied with a keyboard than a grey switch board

https://www.amazon.com/WOOTING-Linea‍‍‍r55-Analog-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B07771GCBS

best keyboard, buy it dont ask questions.

Not tactile or clicky, just the smoothest linear action of life. You dont need to actually use the analog function for it to be worth it.

1 minute ago, RelativeMono said:

or at LEAST buy a single switch tester thing keychain mabob idk

i have never been as dissatisfied with a keyboard than a grey switch board

Keyboards and switches are very personal thing, different strokes for different people and all that.

Again, very personal thing, best for you, not necessarily best for others. It's a nice board, few drawbacks, caps are far from great, build quality is not amazing iirc.

4 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Keyboards and switches are very personal thing, different strokes for different people and all that.

Again, very personal thing, best for you, not necessarily best for others. It's a nice board, few drawbacks, caps are far from great, build quality is not amazing iirc.

its a very personal thing sure but early in a persons serious keyboard journey it can be very easily swayed and changed.

build quality is great idk what you mean, caps can be changed, they even sell some doubleshot pbt's

im 90% sure you can use just about any mx based keycap

3 minutes ago, RelativeMono said:

its a very personal thing sure but early in a persons serious keyboard journey it can be very easily swayed and changed.

build quality is great idk what you mean, caps can be changed, they even sell some doubleshot pbt's

im 90% sure you can use just about any mx based keycap

If you like it, does not mean all like it. iirc there is quite a bit of flex on that board, not sure. You can change caps and switches on gmmk also, so..

3 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

If you like it, does not mean all like it. iirc there is quite a bit of flex on that board, not sure. You can change caps and switches on gmmk also, so..

read my other post i said he could get a gmmk

but i TOLD him to get the wooting one for the switches and the software and the hardware memory. dont @ me if we are going back and fourth in a debate, im literally just telling op to do something and bailing, not trying to convince anyone

i know he'll like it and if he doesnt in the small chance, its amazon, quick refund

i know he'll like it

That's funny. YOU know what HE will like. Good for you then. I'm not @ at you, you are being very categorical, that's it.

2 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

That's funny. YOU know what HE will like. Good for you then. I'm not @ at you, you are being very categorical, that's it.

im "pretty sure" i know what he will like. I dont need to know him personally either because im sure  hes not a sweaty geekhack classifieds refresher.

Just now, RelativeMono said:

im "pretty sure" i know what he will like. I dont need to know him personally either because im sure  hes not a sweaty geekhack classifieds refresher.

So you are just an oracle, must be nice to be always in the know ?

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

So you are just an oracle, must be nice to be always in the know ?

it is, if you want my forgiveness build a shrine and post proof in pm ratirlCoffee.png.70e97a15501eeb8ecc8a92069091a5f1.png