Upgrading pc - New storage and windows?

AmpedUpDad
Go to solution Solved by shark103,
5 minutes ago, AmpedUpDad said:

It's not upgrading the OS, it's the hardware.  I heard somewhere that the OS gets attached to the hardware and you may have to get a new OS when upgrading the ram/mobo/cpu.

That depends on type of license. Is it hardware (OEM) or Microsoft account bound (Retail). Google transfer windows 10 license to new computer and you will get info about how to check it (even on ms pages)

Here's the question. I am about to upgrade my pc - new mobo/cpu/ram.

Do I need to get a new copy of windows and while I'm at it get new storage?

My current pc is running windows 10, but it's an upgrade off of windows 7.

"Liam" - CPU: Ryzen 3700x Base GPU: EVGA Titan X(Maxwell) RAM: Trident Royal Z 32GB @ 3600mhz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm Case Fans: Thermaltake Riing 12 Series Whitex6

Do I need to get a new copy of windows and while I'm at it get new storage?

As long as you have it linked to a microsoft account it should automatically detect. Or if you have the product key. 

6 minutes ago, AmpedUpDad said:

I am about to upgrade my pc - new mobo/cpu/ram.

What you upgrading to?

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

As long as you have it linked to a microsoft account it should automatically detect. Or if you have the product key. 

What you upgrading to?

Haven't decided yet. Looking at going from my 3570k to a 3700x or 3800x

"Liam" - CPU: Ryzen 3700x Base GPU: EVGA Titan X(Maxwell) RAM: Trident Royal Z 32GB @ 3600mhz Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic White Cooler: Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm Case Fans: Thermaltake Riing 12 Series Whitex6

I just upgraded a laptop from 7 to 10 last night.  Went smooth as silk.

Never even prompted for a key.

Just in case Windows comes back asking for it later, I pulled the code and have it ready.

This was 7 Pro to 10 Pro.

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

I just upgraded a laptop from 7 to 10 last night.  Went smooth as silk.

Never even prompted for a key.

Just in case Windows comes back asking for it later, I pulled the code and have it ready.

This was 7 Pro to 10 Pro.

It's not upgrading the OS, it's the hardware.  I heard somewhere that the OS gets attached to the hardware and you may have to get a new OS when upgrading the ram/mobo/cpu.

4 minutes ago, AmpedUpDad said:

Apologies, I totally misread your post...

I have upgraded my motherboard in the past and had windows deactivate.  A call to MS with my key in hand got it turned back on. I told them the motherboard failed and they reactivated. 

This was back in 2017.

Good Luck!

That depends on type of license. Is it hardware (OEM) or Microsoft account bound (Retail). Google transfer windows 10 license to new computer and you will get info about how to check it (even on ms pages)

Ryzen 5 3600 || Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2060 Super || B450A-PRO || G.SKILL Ripjaws 3200MHz CL15 2x8GB

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Apologies, I totally misread your post...

I have upgraded my motherboard in the past and had windows deactivate.  A call to MS with my key in hand got it turned back on. I told them the motherboard failed and they reactivated. 

This was back in 2017.

Good Luck!

I'll have to see if I still have the windows key somewhere.

I may just have to get a new copy.

3 minutes ago, shark103 said:

Will do.

6 minutes ago, AmpedUpDad said:

I'll have to see if I still have the windows key somewhere.

I may just have to get a new copy.

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

I used this to pull my key from windows 7.

Not sure if it works on 10.  The system I changed the motherboard in was a prebuilt with the key on the side of the case.

EDIT- Just tried it on my work laptop with 10, and it did give me a CD key.

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

Just fyi, this is not a good buy. The 3700x is identical and costs less.

If you had a choice between the 3700x and the 3900x, which would you choose?

24 minutes ago, AmpedUpDad said:

If you had a choice between the 3700x and the 3900x, which would you choose?

Depends on the usecase, for now it doesnt make a whole lot of sense to go above 8 cores 16 threads for gaming.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Depends on the usecase, for now it doesnt make a whole lot of sense to go above 8 cores 16 threads for gaming.

I'm also a streamer.

12 minutes ago, AmpedUpDad said:

I'm also a streamer.

In that case a 12 core would make a lot more sense if you do CPU encoding. 

You will more or less allways have more than 4 cores ready to do something else. Like encoding or if windows randomly decides to do update work. 

8 hours ago, shark103 said:

Just checked and it's retail. I didn't even realize that OEM meant that it was most likely installed on a prebuilt. I bought the copy of windows 7 when I first built this pc back in 2013.