Mantle currently causes washed out graphics compared to DX

thewhitestig

Coming from an Nvida user that wants mantle to be amazing as it can be... this is not a bug. They knew this was going on and it was probably something to help the game run smoother until they can fully iron out the bugs. It's an acceptable problem. They were already more than a month behind and judging from the comparison there is no way AMD missed this. They just need more time. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

I am really loving BF4 now, it is as smooth as ever including BF3 for me(on both a 7950 and a gtx660ti) Even if they do not fix it, the frame pacing and overall a lot smoother experience is worth it imo.

Not only that mantle gives me about 10 extra frames but i get really bad lag spikes every 10 secs and i asked people on the server and they all said they were getitng it to if they were using mantle

Well no wonder it causes better frame rate

mantle is obviously just another little gimmick that amd payed for to advertise. It will increase your performance like 0% you honestly should stick with nvidia amd is a disaster

The Golden Rule of PC.

When something new launches, never jump on it immediately.

Golden rule of anything*

Antec 1100 | Asus P8Z87-V | Silverstone Strider 850W 80+ Silver | Intel i5 3570k 4.3Ghz | Corsair h80 | Asus Xonar DGX | Sapphire HD 7850 1000 Mhz | 16 GB Patriot 1600MHz | Intel 330 180GB | OCZ Agility 3 60GB (Cache for HDD) | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Asus VE247H x2 | Ducky Shine 2 - Cherry MX Brown | Razer Deathadder 3.5G | Logitech G430

mantle is obviously just another little gimmick that amd payed for to advertise. It will increase your performance like 0% you honestly should stick with nvidia amd is a disaster

*Definitely not a biased point of view

However I agree with you and it is kind of Nvidia's Physx which is a good idea but it really never takes off and is never widely adopted

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Stop being a fanboy. I got a 10-15 FPS increase but I get lag spikes but I think they can easily fix that... Atleast amd is trying to make it better

I'm going to go ahead and point out that you sound like an illiterate 12-year-old based on your grammatical ability, let alone your blatant fanboyism. And before you start citing numbers (that aren't true) you should have some sources to back them up.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

do any of you guys get the lag issue where it almost seems like the game freezes?

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Really? No content in OP other than the link and it's from Wccftech from all places.

It's a problem on DICE's end, not AMD's. Move on people.

Is this really worthy of such an extravaganza? I mean its a bug... Not like all other new software is perfect. If that's the biggest issue with Mantle than its worth it to me.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Coming from an Nvida user that wants mantle to be amazing as it can be... this is not a bug. They knew this was going on and it was probably something to help the game run smoother until they can fully iron out the bugs. It's an acceptable problem. They were already more than a month behind and judging from the comparison there is no way AMD missed this. They just need more time. 

This is a bug on their side, not AMD according to DICE and has no effect on performance (don't think they would lie about this rather than just keep quiet, but well see by how fast they fix this)

says the person who obviously haven't used mantle in BF4 or seen benchmarks from the many reputable sources.

You are just a blind fanboy.

Sure it may not give 200% increase in performance, not only is the theory solid, but you can actually get around from 5% - 50% (or more) increases depending on the setup. Considering this is at no expense of the consumer(considering you would need a gpu either way), how the heck is this a gimmick. AMD would only be losing more and more money if Mantle didn't work.

The problem is not AMD or Mantle.....The problem is fanboyism. Mantle looks awesome, especially if you don't have a top of the line CPU, but there constant fights between AMD and Nvidia fans make it impossible for anything to be a success.
Mantle was either going to be the twitching before the death of AMD or Mantle would kill make NVIDIA completely irrelevant.

I personally love any kind of improvement that we can get.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

I have installed the BF4 patch along with the updated driver from AMD and noticed quite a bit of stuttering in BF4 when switched to Mantle in graphics.  I have recently switched back to DirectX11 until another update is released.

Same. AMD said in the 14.1 patch notes that Mantle is not yet optimised for all 7000 series cards as well as everything apart from the R9 290/X, so yeah we just got to wait for the driver. 

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

do any of you guys get the lag issue where it almost seems like the game freezes?

Stop being a fanboy. I got a 10-15 FPS increase but I get lag spikes but I think they can easily fix that... Atleast amd is trying to make it better

Not only that mantle gives me about 10 extra frames but i get really bad lag spikes every 10 secs and i asked people on the server and they all said they were getitng it to if they were using mantle

I have an HD 7850 and the second i installed my driver i got 5 FPS more but i got worse image quality and the game is literally unplayable because of the sudden drops to 3 FPS and the drop lasts about 5 seconds So imagine playin at 3 FPS for 5 seconds every 40 second of the game !

I rolled back to the old driver 14.1 is really not what i expected :/

The 14.1 Beta patch notes specifically said that there is yet to be optimisation and they're aware of the BF4 issues. That's why you guys, as well as myself are getting weird lag spikes and almost worse performance. 

Known Issues

• Mantle performance for the AMD Radeon™ HD 7000/HD 8000 Series GPUs and AMD Radeon™ R9 280X and R9 270X GPUs will be optimized for BattleField 4™ in future AMD Catalyst™ releases. These products will see limited gains in BattleField 4™ and AMD is currently investigating optimizations for them.

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

The 14.1 Beta patch notes specifically said that there is yet to be optimisation and they're aware of the BF4 issues. That's why you guys, as well as myself are getting weird lag spikes and almost worse performance. 

Known Issues

• Mantle performance for the AMD Radeon™ HD 7000/HD 8000 Series GPUs and AMD Radeon™ R9 280X and R9 270X GPUs will be optimized for BattleField 4™ in future AMD Catalyst™ releases. These products will see limited gains in BattleField 4™ and AMD is currently investigating optimizations for them.

oh don't get me wrong I not getting worse performance, just random lag spikes. I know this is a beta and will eventually get hammered out . I hope mantle continue to improve and become something great and widely adopted.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Well, I am not even going to touch the whole "fanboy" thing, I see way too much of that on the Battlelog (and just about every other game) forum. I have actually started telling people if they want more intelligent conversations or debates, or real technical help or advice, they need to come to forums like this one. You're still going to run into the occasional fanboy, but it's going to be far less than on most gaming forums, especailly Battlelog. lol

Anyway, on topic. I currently have an XFX DD 7970 BE OC (still have not decided what 290X I want, I was going to get the Sapphire Tri-X OC, but it's out of stock everywhere *sad*) and I got an average of about a 10 FPS gain over D3D, with no shutter. In my humble opinion, that's not bad for a beta driver, beta API, on a card that it's not even optimized for, in a buggy game. The only time I had any issues was when I decided to test it out in single player, there was little to no frame rate difference, but there was a lot of shuttering. Multiplayer on the other hand was nice and smooth.

I do know that Mantle uses a crap load of VRAM, on my 3GB 7970 it tops out just over 2600 to 2700 MB of the dedicated memory, and about 300-400 MB of dynamic memory. I swapped out the 7970 for a 7870 GHz 2GB card I have sitting around, and you do get a performance increase, but you also get a lot of shuttering, it easily maxes out the cards 2GB at 1080.

You used to be able to disable triple buffering via the console or user.cfg, but that seems to no longer work, at least for me. That may have helped some users. Some people reported changing the render ahead limit helped reduce shutting as well.

At any rate, I have got to the point where I just keep posting AMD's feedback survey and telling people to report their results to AMD no matter if they are good or bad. That way they can address the issues easier.

I know everyone is all about performance with Mantle right now, and that's great, but I am far more excited about what Mantle will be able to do for games down the road. The level and scale of gameplay it will be able to offer over current API offerings and still maintain playable performance. I am more impressed with the Star Swarm demo than anything right now.

Well that post ended up being a lot longer than I intended. =P

Are you saying it causes that or maybe they purposely did it that because it might be easier to process. Also what if that was the intent or they dodnt have time to make it look better. Could be something to going with going from directx to mantle instead of cometely redoing. Who knows but I really realky doubt mantle causes that.

DICE confirmed it was their issue they are working to fix. Gosh people are so eager to jump down AMD's throat (because they don't want AMD to succeed shh)

(because they don't want AMD to succeed shh)

Gosh, and here was me thinking people were upset because it has issues.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Why everyone is so scared from the very first steps of mantle? Remember how many years DX is on and there is still bugs on it. presonaly i'm not surprised, more likely happy to see how much of work devs put in it and that it is actualy working right now. If they will continue in that speed soon we will see low end cards capable to run modern games perfectly on HD with playable FPs rate :) Well, that is more like a wish but hope they will make it. One bad thing that they are testing it on battlefield, becouse the game engine is far from polished, not mentioning the game mechanics. So if there is bugs occur it can be from both sides (game and driver). It wud be alot easyer to debug if it wud only driver related. oh well :) Not bad as a start :) As we all remember first steps off DX10... And one more thing that mantle gets alot less feedback to identify as much of the bugs as possible for now.

Why can't AMD do something at least 'considerable' when they first launch a technology? Disappointing. 

CPU: Ryzen 7-3700x 4.4GHz, MB: ASUS PRIME B450M-AGPU: SAPPHIRE RX 590, RAM: 16GB Corsair 3200MHz, SSD: 480GB Kingston HDD: 2TB WD Green, CHASSIS: CoolerMaster HAF 912, PSU: CoolerMaster Thunder 700W, COOLERHyper 212 Black Edition