i'm very concerned about my laptop's temperature

Hello everyone,

i just got a pavilion 15 gaming laptop with an i5-9300H CPU, i don't really wanna use it for gaming, but i tried out a few, and the CPU temperature seemed really high (between 80 and 90 Celsius) and sometimes it hits 95-96 .

I don't know if this is normal for a laptop since the body is pretty thin to properly cool all the component and the max temp for the CPU is 100C, so if someone can give me any information about this i'd appreciate it.

thank you,

PS: my room temperature is somewhere between 30 and 38 C 

Looks normal for a thin laptop. Also, your room temp is around 30-38c? Wtf? That is not normal.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

1 minute ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Looks normal for a thin laptop. Also, your room temp is around 30-38c? Wtf? That is not normal.

well i live in morocco, it gets pretty hot in the summer, and thank you for the reply ✌

That's a pretty normal temperature for a laptop unfortunately. It is pretty common for laptops to hit the maximum temperature for the CPU (100c) and start to thermal throttle.

Every powerful laptop will basically run the CPU to the red line under load. Obviously that's not an issue since they don't fail.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Every powerful laptop will basically run the CPU to the red line under load.

pavilion is thin so it makes everything worse. usually it go to maximum 80C. since its thin 95C it acceptable. Lower clock your CPU.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

Back in the day my Inspiron 1500 (Yeah like 13 years ago) did the same thing. I found a USB fan cooler that went beneath it and sucked the hot exhaust away. It helped so much and allowed me to game on it! I would look into one of those to help out.

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Every powerful laptop will basically run the CPU to the red line under load. Obviously that's not an issue since they don't fail.

Doesn't it reduce their lifetime a lot though? 

Are you hearing about laptops failing left and right with dead CPUs? Nope...

All the Apple laptops run the CPUs as hot as they go under load, and while they have lots of design issues this hasn't been one.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 hours ago, Wolfycapt said:

pavilion is thin so it makes everything worse. usually it go to maximum 80C. since its thin 95C it acceptable. Lower clock your CPU.

won't it affect the warranty ?

6 hours ago, Necrovarius said:

Back in the day my Inspiron 1500 (Yeah like 13 years ago) did the same thing. I found a USB fan cooler that went beneath it and sucked the hot exhaust away. It helped so much and allowed me to game on it! I would look into one of those to help out.

i'll give them a look, thank you

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Are you hearing about laptops failing left and right with dead CPUs? Nope...

All the Apple laptops run the CPUs as hot as they go under load, and while they have lots of design issues this hasn't been one.

fair enough