i7-8565u vs i7-8750h

name66

Hello, how big difference would be in i7-8565u vs i7-8750h ? I am about to buy a laptop mainly use for photo editing on garden or while travelling. Maybe some light video editing in future ( but its just maybe).  No gaming. Is if worth to pay extra for i7-8750h ?

The main difference between the two is that the 8750H has 6 cores and 12 threads, while the 8565U only has 4 cores and 8 threads. What this means is that for photo editing the difference will generally be very small, as that is more of a single core task, rather than using multiple cores. Video editing, on the other hand, will benefit from the larger number of threads.

The 8750H also uses more power, so it is pretty safe to assume that battery life will take a hit in the case of most laptops using it, compared to the ones equipped with the 8565U, so you should also take this into account when making your choice (though this will vary from laptop to laptop, based on the battery capacity). 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

22 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The main difference between the two is that the 8750H has 6 cores and 12 threads, while the 8565U only has 4 cores and 8 threads. What this means is that for photo editing the difference will generally be very small, as that is more of a single core task, rather than using multiple cores. Video editing, on the other hand, will benefit from the larger number of threads.

The 8750H also uses more power, so it is pretty safe to assume that battery life will take a hit in the case of most laptops using it, compared to the ones equipped with the 8565U, so you should also take this into account when making your choice (though this will vary from laptop to laptop, based on the battery capacity). 

true.

for performance go with 8750. the 8565U can go to 4.6ghz which is crazy right? no. remember that this is U-Chip. which implemented on Small and thin light chassis. or ultrabooks. and ultrabooks don't have good thermal. so let say you do rendering it will throttle or at least drop down the clock frequency to lower temp and might not reach 4ghz at all.  and also dont forget about the heat.

on the other side, the H-chips usually can be found on gaming laptop or other non-slim chassis laptop. which meant has good thermal and you can push it.

remember is not only about the Processor. heat pipe and laptop type affect performance.

since you are travelling and do light video editing and not rendering. just go with 8565U. its not like you need 6 core. its enough. and you can have the portability. check lenovo thinkpad.

Spec: Macbook Air 2017    

ProcessorPU: ii5 (I5-5350U |    

| RAM: 8GB LPDDR3 |

| Storage: 128GB SSD 

| GPU: Intel HD 6000 |

| Audio: JBL 450BT Wireless Headset |

For your use case the i7 8565U is the better choice. The 8750H is not necessary and is likely to come in a bulkier chassis and have lower battery life.