Is it bad for my pc if i turn it off while its on suspend mode ?

Gustavo Dutra
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

This is by design, a feature of modern computers and used on laptops all the time.

There's various levels of this feature... the riskiest  simply turns off the hard drive and puts the cpu in sleep mode (basically turning it off) and sends the sleep command to various things like network card, video card, audio card etc but keeps powering the ram to hold the data alive. Your pc will consume less than around 10-20 watts.

When you start PC again, the processor goes back to speed and hard drive starts, video card is sent the signal to start

It's risky because if you pull the mains plug, it will be as if you shut down the pc abrupty and you lost the data in those applications running.

This is basically Sleep feature in Windows

A less risky version "freezes" everything and saves contents of ram to disk and then turns off everything including the power to the memory (but it may do so only after some time, like 10-30 minutes), so it's even less power usage.When you start pc, it can take a few seconds to read the data and put it back into memory... this is the Hibernate feature in Windows

Windows actually uses a Hybrid mode on desktop computers. If you hit Sleep, it will also make a copy of ram contents to disk as if you pressed Hibernate, but doesn't turn off power to ram. 

This is good because if you lose power, it will resume as if you used Hibernate, you don't lose what you had running, it will just take longer to put the data back in ram.

On laptops , it's either of them, no hybrid... because you have the battery as a backup if the laptop is not powered. But even on laptops, you typically can configure the power button to do Sleep or Hybernate

In Windows 7 the options are in  :: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options  : choose what the power buttons do

See https://www.howtogeek.com/102897/whats-the-difference-between-sleep-and-hibernate-in-windows/

for more details

I just discovered that if i turn it on suspend mode and actually turn of my energy stabilizer, the pc goes off "without" using any energy ( because my stabilizer is off) and i don't need to sign in windows, neither steam and more. Its like my pc remains up, but it wasn't.  

Usually when we use suspend instead of turn off and the other, my pc lights up the boot button to let me know that my  pc is on suspend mode, is still  on, but not entirely. I literally made it turn it off, and when i turned it on again i didnt need to reopen anything, everything was the way i left it. Does it makes sense ? 

Anyway, if it does. I would like to know if i'm not warming my pc or some part. 

I had no idea where to put this, since i don't know which part i might harm doing this...

If you do not know what's a energy stabilizer is this in the image, idk how you guys call it so just for help you understand what i want to mean with all of this.

tec-1000va_4.1521716716.jpg

Of course my energy stabilizer is not that fancy and it doesnt work in case energy goes off, so my pc was literally off, no energy going whatsoever.

It is OK. I do it all the time. I have figured that when you turn it off, all it does is unpower the RAM and reloads the data from the HDD/SSD

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

This is by design, a feature of modern computers and used on laptops all the time.

There's various levels of this feature... the riskiest  simply turns off the hard drive and puts the cpu in sleep mode (basically turning it off) and sends the sleep command to various things like network card, video card, audio card etc but keeps powering the ram to hold the data alive. Your pc will consume less than around 10-20 watts.

When you start PC again, the processor goes back to speed and hard drive starts, video card is sent the signal to start

It's risky because if you pull the mains plug, it will be as if you shut down the pc abrupty and you lost the data in those applications running.

A less risky version "freezes" everything and saves contents of ram to disk and then turns off everything including the power to the memory (but it may do so only after some time, like 10-30 minutes), so it's even less power usage.When you start pc, it can take a few seconds to read the data and put it back into memory... this is the Hibernate feature in Windows

Windows actually uses a Hybrid mode on desktop computers. If you hit Sleep, it will also make a copy of ram contents to disk as if you pressed Hibernate, but doesn't turn off power to ram. 

This is good because if you lose power, it will resume as if you used Hibernate, you don't lose what you had running, it will just take longer to put the data back in ram.

On laptops , it's either of them, no hybrid... because you have the battery as a backup if the laptop is not powered. But even on laptops, you typically can configure the power button to do Sleep or Hybernate

In Windows 7 the options are in  :: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options  : choose what the power buttons do

See https://www.howtogeek.com/102897/whats-the-difference-between-sleep-and-hibernate-in-windows/

for more details

13 minutes ago, mariushm said:

for more details

So the ram is still running. Or it saves to hdd Thanks for the info.

11 minutes ago, Gustavo Dutra said:

So the ram is still running. Or it saves to hdd Thanks for the info.

On desktop PC it saves the ram to hard disk and keeps the ram active. If you have a power loss it can recover from ssd/hdd as if you used Hibernate. If there's no power loss, the data is still in ram, so it wakes up almost instantly.

On laptop PCs, Sleep keeps in RAM, Hibernate saves to ssd/hdd and then turns off power to ram as well..