VA or TN Gaming

Sploork00

i know va panel have better colors but what the disadvantages?

If you're using it strictly for gaming then it's good because of fast response times and affordability. Otherwise VA has much better colors, contrast, viewing angles etc.

Slower response times. Might notice might not.

I edit my posts more often than not

The disadvantage of a VA panel is the response time. TN and IPS panels have much shorter response times than VA panels. If you are going to be using a monitor for mostly gaming, then get a TN panel. If you are going to be doing photo or video editing, then an IPS or VA panel is recommended. 

Specs of The Battlestation:             CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X             Motherboard: AORUS AX-370 Gaming 5             RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz

Case: NZXT H710                           Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 SC Hybrid             Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850W Gold+  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Built 7 custom machines. Resident Tech Support Agent. Proficient in C#, JavaScript, and Sindarin Elvish. Loyal Member of House Ravenclaw. Ask me a question about hardware, and I can probably answer it.

TN panel use to be the king in terms of response time. Now IPS and VA panels have caught up a lot and its no longer really an issue. In general:

• TN panels have fast response time, but poor color reproduction, and viewing angles
  • VA panels have good (but slower than TN panel) response time, good color reproduction, great contrast, and good viewing angles. one thing to consider is "black crush" with VA panels. You might have to adjust the settings to prevent dark areas from being too dark. This is mainly a problem on cheaper VA panels. 
  • IPS panels generally have amazing colors, amazing viewing angles, slow response time, and average contrast. Another issue with IPS panels is called "screen glow" which is the backlight being visible in darker scenes (you can google it if you don't know what I mean). But this is generally only a problem in cheaper IPS panels. 

Now in recent years, both IPS and VA panels have gotten much faster response time. If you're going for 144hz you want an actual response time of < 5ms to prevent ghosting. In 2019 I don't think there is a reason to go with a TN panel unless you are on a tight budget. Also, don't trust advertised response times from the manufacturer, they are complete BS. Use a trusted website like rtings.com . 

In my opinion this is the best 1080p mid range monitor you can get:

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824236942?Item=N82E16824236942&Description=ASUS VG279Q&cm_re=ASUS_VG279Q-_-24-236-942-_-Product

and here is the review for it: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/vg279q

Other notable monitors:

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/best/by-usage/gaming

I use VA and am more than happy with it.  Haven't noticed issues with response time at all.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

VA all the way. Unless you want really really fast response time: TN. But TN sucks shit.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

thank you guys for answers. what do you mean when you say response time?

there is VA monitors with 1ms.

i'v heard that cheap VA panels can be less good than quality TN panel so how i can i tell which screen is better?

4 hours ago, Sploork00 said:

i know va panel have better colors but what the disadvantages?

VA panels tend to have worse pixel response times creating motion blur, and thus have increased input lag.  Here is a list of pixel response times and input lag of various monitors (and the panel types) 

VA panels have good picture quality, but bad viewing angles.  For gaming I would probably pass, but for a mix of say RPGs and movie watching it might be a good buy.

32 minutes ago, Tao said:

VA panels tend to have worse pixel response times creating motion blur, and thus have increased input lag.  Here is a list of pixel response times and input lag of various monitors (and the panel types) 

VA panels have good picture quality, but bad viewing angles.  For gaming I would probably pass, but for a mix of say RPGs and movie watching it might be a good buy.

I'm sorry but that's not true at all. I have 3 VA panels here and two have very little ghosting and you'd be looking hard to notice ghosting in dark scenes. And other one VA panel have horrible ghosting but that's because it's a very very monitor. But all of them have no increased input lag at all. I had an OLED monitor and that one got huge input lag.

I use them two for gaming and movies, especially GTA games, GTA Online and NFS. And viewing angles are pretty good too.

Pixel responses times have nothing to do with latency. They are entirely seperate from each other.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

24 minutes ago, CTR640 said:

I'm sorry but that's not true at all. I have 3 VA panels here and two have very little ghosting and you'd be looking hard to notice ghosting in dark scenes. And other one VA panel have horrible ghosting but that's because it's a very very monitor. But all of them have no increased input lag at all. I had an OLED monitor and that one got huge input lag.

I use them two for gaming and movies, especially GTA games, GTA Online and NFS. And viewing angles are pretty good too.

Pixel responses times have nothing to do with latency. They are entirely seperate from each other.

Pixel response times have everything to do with input lag

Input lag= pixel response time + processing lag

If the image isn't there for you to see, you can't react to it.

13 minutes ago, Tao said:

Pixel response times have everything to do with input lag

Input lag= pixel response time + processing lag

If the image isn't there for you to see, you can't react to it.

And what's your answer to an oled monitor that has response time of 0.1ms and yet it still got huge input lag?

DAC/AMPs:

Just now, CTR640 said:

And what's your answer to an oled monitor that has response time of 0.1ms and yet it still got huge input lag?

No idea what the OLED is.  If it is a TV, especially an older one, it probably doesn't have a gaming mode.  All I can attest to is that the new LG OLEDs have 6ms of input lag.

3 minutes ago, Tao said:

No idea what the OLED is.  If it is a TV, especially an older one, it probably doesn't have a gaming mode.  All I can attest to is that the new LG OLEDs have 6ms of input lag.

This one:

https://www.asus.com/Monitors/ProArt-PQ22UC/

DAC/AMPs:

14 minutes ago, Tao said:

Oh that abomination!

I forget what the specs are, but it had a lot of failings.  It is in the running for one of the worst monitors ever.

How do you know that? Experienced it?

DAC/AMPs:

Just now, CTR640 said:

How do you know that? Experienced it?

I saw a couple of reviews.  However I forget where I saw them.

5 minutes ago, Tao said:

I saw a couple of reviews.  However I forget where I saw them.

I would have liked it to see the reviews to see why it's one of the worst monitor ever. Maybe faulty ones.

DAC/AMPs: