Router question

Full_Logicz
Go to solution Solved by mtz_federico,
8 hours ago, Full_Logicz said:

would this be a good candidate ? https://www.dlink.com/en/products/dir-882-exo-ac2600-mu-mimo-wi-fi-router seems to check all the boxes i found it on sale for 80 euros.

It looks good. Just check that your current isp modem/router supports bridge mode and that the ethernet port on it is gigabit (it could be set on the settings or you might need to call your isp like me) if you can't set it on bridge mode or the erthernet port is not gigabit then you will need to use a media converter to convert the fiber into Ethernet.

Hello i have a question for you today, but before i ask i wanna explain my situation first. Some months ago i bought a 1000mbps internet subscription and the isp also gave me a shit fiber optics decoder with 1 ethernet out and 100mbps wifi (that usually runs at 50-60mbps on my phone, laptop and tv).

Now for the question: Is there a stable and affordable router that can output 500mbps+ on wifi and/or that has a fiber optics input? 

Also my house has really thick walls, i don't get any internet in my back yard, my budget would be 100 euros tops if you have any suggestion or give me some ideas 

I opted to not get a router earlier because of nat problems in games, but now that i started using wifi more it's especially annoying when yt videos buffer on the tv or whenever i try to download something on the laptop and it downloads with 40mbps instead of 600mbps like on the pc.

You can't go wrong with Ubiquiti, I don't know if their equipment is available in Romania though.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

18 minutes ago, Full_Logicz said:

Is there a stable and affordable router that can output 500mbps+ on wifi

There are plenty of such routers, but there are a couple of things that need to be taken into account, like e.g. you won't be getting such speeds through walls, period. No, it just won't happen. Also, to get such speeds, both the router and your device would have to be able to handle such speeds, but e.g. most phones, TVs and cheap laptops can only go up to about 433Mbps.

As for the routers: I can't recommend anything specific, I don't live in Romania or anywhere near. I can, however, give some advice: look for a router which supports 5GHz 802.11ac and which specifically lists that its ethernet-ports are gigabit -- many router-manufacturers claim all sorts of sky-high numbers, but then slap only 10/100 ethernet-ports on the router, effectively limiting all speeds to that. Also, when a router-manufacturer quotes something like, say, 1200Mbps, they are lying: they are counting both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz - speeds together to come up with that number, but that's not how WiFi works; you need to specifically look at what the 5GHz-band by itself can do as that's the maximum a single device can do.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

There are plenty of such routers, but there are a couple of things that need to be taken into account, like e.g. you won't be getting such speeds through walls, period. No, it just won't happen. Also, to get such speeds, both the router and your device would have to be able to handle such speeds, but e.g. most phones, TVs and cheap laptops can only go up to about 433Mbps.

As for the routers: I can't recommend anything specific, I don't live in Romania or anywhere near. I can, however, give some advice: look for a router which supports 5GHz 802.11ac and which specifically lists that its ethernet-ports are gigabit -- many router-manufacturers claim all sorts of sky-high numbers, but then slap only 10/100 ethernet-ports on the router, effectively limiting all speeds to that. Also, when a router-manufacturer quotes something like, say, 1200Mbps, they are lying: they are counting both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz - speeds together to come up with that number, but that's not how WiFi works; you need to specifically look at what the 5GHz-band by itself can do as that's the maximum a single device can do.

I figured i wouldn't get gigabit speed through walls but i don't videos/movies buffering, also only having one ethernet port is really bad, do you have any suggestions for a device? so i have something to compare to.

If you want something cheap with at least 2x Gbit LAN, USB 3.0, 802.11ac 2x2 (aka Wi-Fi 5), and some cool custom software like Padavan-ng, then go for Xiaomi Mi Router 3G rev. 1. But that would require some tinkering. So if you want stable and fast stuff out of the box, then yeah, Ubiquity is the way to go.

Purify your Windows 10/11, don't give Microsoft anything that you don't want to share.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwVs9zrM493rjD42E2Pf0YcOkaW92ZUo

Tips for folding on laptop:

Lazy man wants upgrades from the sky.

https://stats.foldingathome.org/donor/Spakes

1 hour ago, Spakes said:

If you want something cheap with at least 2x Gbit LAN, USB 3.0, 802.11ac 2x2 (aka Wi-Fi 5), and some cool custom software like Padavan-ng, then go for Xiaomi Mi Router 3G rev. 1. But that would require some tinkering. So if you want stable and fast stuff out of the box, then yeah, Ubiquity is the way to go.

would this be a good candidate ? https://www.dlink.com/en/products/dir-882-exo-ac2600-mu-mimo-wi-fi-router seems to check all the boxes i found it on sale for 80 euros.

8 hours ago, Full_Logicz said:

It looks good. Just check that your current isp modem/router supports bridge mode and that the ethernet port on it is gigabit (it could be set on the settings or you might need to call your isp like me) if you can't set it on bridge mode or the erthernet port is not gigabit then you will need to use a media converter to convert the fiber into Ethernet.