What do you guys think about RISC-V?

There has been a lot of talk about the limitations of x86 or ARM as a format. RISC-V supposedly wants to make a more universally accepted architecture with the implementations of an open license.

Thoughts?

----------------

I'm just now hearing about RISC-V ?

This is the vid that got me interested but you know how the internet works, take it like a grain of salt 

I think it's great, we needed a fully open source ISA. Once someone starts making hardware that can actually compete with the big players I hope we'll see more of it. I already have a risc-v based AI/computer vision dev board.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

I think it's great, we needed a fully open source ISA. Once someone starts making hardware that can actually compete with the big players I hope we'll see more of it. I already have a risc-v based AI/computer vision dev board.

I didn't know that they were already that far along in development ?

Got a link for a dev board?

I think its a good thing don't know much about open/closed instruction sets but I do about closed protocols making things more difficult then they should be. (Reverse engineering stuff) Yes, looking at you SMB ?

5 minutes ago, Jarno. said:

I think its a good thing don't know much about open/closed instruction sets but I do about closed protocols making things more difficult then they should be. (Reverse engineering stuff) Yes, looking at you SMB ?

If it turns out to have as much capability as they hope, it could be a game changer for both the commercial and consumer market I think

1 minute ago, KhakiHat said:

If it turns out to have as much capability as they hope, it could be a game changer for both the commercial and consumer market I think

Might also make things easier for developers i guess because its easier to port over between different devices. Now there are to many different instructions to chose from.

Just now, Jarno. said:

Might also make things easier for developers i guess because its easier to port over between different devices. Now there are to many different instructions to chose from.

Also once you choos a particular architecture to develop from, it's a lot harder to spread out to other architectures. Be it x86 to arm or vice versa.

Rules always makes things more difficult for dev