Best Bass Headphones under $500 (not Skullcandy scam)

TommyTwommy
Go to solution Solved by rice guru,
16 minutes ago, berny22 said:

ok.. can i get the 770 M instead of 770 Pro, I want the leather pads

I wouldn't get the 770M apparently you loose bass as well as soundstage I would stick with the pros and just replacement pads that come with the custom one pros. actually completey forgot the custom one pros existed they are better built beyerdynamic closed back to me sounds worse not bad just not as good as the 770 but has the bass feature where you can turn it up to literal robot sex on a tympani.  it does have a detachable cable and shitps with leather pads that should be compatible with the the 770

So everyone was going crazy over Skullcandy Crusher headphones.. I fell for it.. Bought them and was extremely dissapointed by them.. not only are they uncomfortable as hell (can't wear them for more than 30 minutes), they practically don't have any real bass.. the deep clean EDM bass you enjoy on your subwoofer.. They just rattle your head with this artificial punchy bass... Basically it is shit and has nothing to do with real bass.. is there anyone here that appreciates actual deep bass and can recommend me headphones that are comfortable to wear for long periods of time (like my HyperX Clouds) and that aren't an actual scam when it comes to bass..

when I google "Best bass headphones" most of these lists have skullcandy crushers on top of the list or somewhere in the top 10.. which immediately tells me that whoever made the list has no idea what real bass is.. I want someone with actual experience to recommend me something good.. even youtubers went all crazy over them.. yeah they are "cool" experience for the first 5 minutes, other than that they are absolute trash..

CPU & COOLER - INTEL i9 12900K | NZXT KRAKEN X62

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

GPU - ASUS GEFORCE RTX 3080 TUF

RAM - 2x16GB KINGSTON FURY 3200MHZ

PSU - PHANTEKS REVOLT PRO 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD

SSD #1 - CORSAIR SN850 1TB

SSD #2 - CORSAIR SN850X 4TB

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

CASE - PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P500A D-RGB

MOUSE #1 - LOGITECH G502 X Wireless

KEYBOARD - AKKO 5108B PLUS

SPEAKERS - SVS PB-1000 + 2x ADAM A3X

HEADSET #1 - SENNHEISER IE-300

HEADSET #2 - FOSTEX TR-X00 PURPLEHREART

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

DISPLAY 2 - XIAOMI 2K GAMING

PHONE - SAMSUNG GALAXY S23+ 

its not a scam. its just good marketing. they make a product which is okay, but not great. 

if you want good headphones but dont want trash bass, then you are looking to find the best headphones under $500, not the best bass headphones under$500. if you want bass headphones, they arent going to sound all that great. if you really want extra bass, but beats. if you want good quality sound, sony xm3

Dt770 and meze 99 noir I would reccomend the best bass headphone the fostex x massdrop purplehearsmts but unfortunately that is out of your price range. I you want a nice bassy open back the Phillips Fidelio X2 are the way to go

the dt770 look very nice (very similar to cloud ii)... if i don't have an AMP, i should get the ones with lower resistance? I see there are both 32 Ohms and 80 Ohms..

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

4 minutes ago, berny22 said:

the dt770 look very nice (very similar to cloud ii)... if i don't have an AMP, i should get the ones with lower resistance? I see there are both 32 Ohms and 80 Ohms..

If you are planning to use it mobile go with the 32 ohm. If you want to run it onboard  80 ohm. Since your budget is pretty substantial I would say grab the fx audio dac x6 for an extra$70 to power the 250 ohm which people seem to think to be the best sounding one out of the 3. 

4 minutes ago, rice guru said:

If you are planning to use it mobile go with the 32 ohm. If you want to run it onboard  80 ohm. Since your budget is pretty substantial I would say grab the fx audio dac x6 for an extra$70 to power the 250 ohm which people seem to think to be the best sou doing one out of the 3. 

these are my currents picks

what is the difference between higher and lower resistance headphones.. do they sound better? are they louder?

i will only be using them on my pc.. i have galaxy buds for my smartphone.. 

also these seem too cheap to be that good compared to others on my list.. can i get the dt 880 or something?

image.thumb.png.2d94dc776d65a4d3bc75aea41a9b3cd9.png

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

11 minutes ago, berny22 said:

these are my currents picks

what is the difference between higher and lower resistance headphones.. do they sound better? are they louder?

i will only be using them on my pc.. i have galaxy buds for my smartphone.. 

also these seem too cheap to be that good compared to others on my list.. can i get the dt 880 or something?

image.thumb.png.2d94dc776d65a4d3bc75aea41a9b3cd9.png

The dt880 leans towards a more neutral sound signature it's a good all rounder but I don't think it's what your looking for. Higher impedance headphones are harder to drive meaning you need more power to run them. Price doesn't mean that much when it comes to audio look at reviews for them people love them for a reason. I would personally get rid of everything I. That lost except for the v modas because those are decent if you want consumer level audio and the bottom 2

5 minutes ago, rice guru said:

The dt880 leans towards a more neutral sound signature it's a good all rounder but I don't think it's what your looking for. Higher impedance headphones are harder to drive meaning you need more power to run them. Price doesn't mean that much when it comes to audio look at reviews for them people love them for a reason. I would personally get rid of everything I. That lost except for the v modas because those are decent if you want consumer level audio and the bottom 2

looking at these graphs it looks like the vmodas provide much better bass.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-2/graph#440/2037/445

also the the dt 770 don't have leather pads which is a must for me honestly..

https://www.amazon.de/beyerdynamic-Over-Ear-Studiokopfhörer-Geschlossene-kabelgebunden-professionelles/dp/B000F4KWQI/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=dt%2B770&qid=1569785827&sr=8-2&th=1

although there are 2 versions.. the monitor ones have leather pads but the studio ones don't.. which ones are better sound wise?

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

2 hours ago, berny22 said:

looking at these graphs it looks like the vmodas provide much better bass.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-2/graph#440/2037/445

also the the dt 770 don't have leather pads which is a must for me honestly..

https://www.amazon.de/beyerdynamic-Over-Ear-Studiokopfhörer-Geschlossene-kabelgebunden-professionelles/dp/B000F4KWQI/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=dt%2B770&qid=1569785827&sr=8-2&th=1

although there are 2 versions.. the monitor ones have leather pads but the studio ones don't.. which ones are better sound wise?

just because the bump is higher doesnt mean better. ro more accentuated. look at the other frequencies notice that the mids and highs go below the 0 db line but the subb bass and bass are higher? while on ther corss fades it's almost like the bass is lower than the other frequencies but is mostly a straight line? that wouyld suggest to me that the v modas are a neutral sounding headphone not a bassy one.  that means the bass is actually more front and center on the 770's than the crossfades. the ctrossfades have good bass don't get me wrong but a bassy headphone is not good just because it's bassy but also because they can present mids and highs well. if you just want bass go with the skull candy crushers because thats all it really does. the 770 is a good bassy headphone that present a lot of detail on the high and has decent mids and is well loved by audiophiles and producers. because of the amount of detail but loved by hip hop heads because of the strong punchy bass. but look for reviews and compare the 2 rtngs' to me isn't the best for their actual reviews but I find their measurements to be great and easy to understand.

2 hours ago, rice guru said:

just because the bump is higher doesnt mean better. ro more accentuated. look at the other frequencies notice that the mids and highs go below the 0 db line but the subb bass and bass are higher? while on ther corss fades it's almost like the bass is lower than the other frequencies but is mostly a straight line? that wouyld suggest to me that the v modas are a neutral sounding headphone not a bassy one.  that means the bass is actually more front and center on the 770's than the crossfades. the ctrossfades have good bass don't get me wrong but a bassy headphone is not good just because it's bassy but also because they can present mids and highs well. if you just want bass go with the skull candy crushers because thats all it really does. the 770 is a good bassy headphone that present a lot of detail on the high and has decent mids and is well loved by audiophiles and producers. because of the amount of detail but loved by hip hop heads because of the strong punchy bass. but look for reviews and compare the 2 rtngs' to me isn't the best for their actual reviews but I find their measurements to be great and easy to understand.

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

16 minutes ago, berny22 said:

I wouldn't get the 770M apparently you loose bass as well as soundstage I would stick with the pros and just replacement pads that come with the custom one pros. actually completey forgot the custom one pros existed they are better built beyerdynamic closed back to me sounds worse not bad just not as good as the 770 but has the bass feature where you can turn it up to literal robot sex on a tympani.  it does have a detachable cable and shitps with leather pads that should be compatible with the the 770

8 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I wouldn't get the Ma pparently you loose bass as well as soundstage I would stick with the pros and just replacement pads that come with the custom one pros. actually completey forgot the custom one pros existed they are better built beyerdynamic closed back to me sounds worse not bad just not as good as the 770 but has the bass feature where you can turn it up to literal robot sex on a tympani.  it does have a detachable cable and shitps with leather pads that should be compatible with the the 770

these seem nice.. i might get those... and buy a vmoda boom pro for my mic.. 

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

i ended up purchasing the COP ones.. hope I won't be disappointed.. but considering it is a beyerdynamic product I doubt I will..

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

6 hours ago, berny22 said:

i ended up purchasing the COP ones.. hope I won't be disappointed.. but considering it is a beyerdynamic product I doubt I will..

Surprised you got the COP and not the COPP cause the COP are technically discontinued

12 hours ago, rice guru said:

Surprised you got the COP and not the COPP cause the COP are technically discontinued

i did get the COPP actually.. didn't realize there were 2 version when I wrote that reply.. 

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

3 hours ago, berny22 said:

i did get the COPP actually.. didn't realize there were 2 version when I wrote that reply.. 

All good just making sure you got the COPP over the COP

4 hours ago, rice guru said:

All good just making sure you got the COPP over the COP

image.png.4901a836a379d74cba30016ed5202f74.png

:))))))

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

5 hours ago, rice guru said:

LIves in EU.. over budget ... no amp to power them... the fostex purple hearts are exist and is literally the epiotme of a bass head headphone. 

i was suggested to buy these as well.. however they are $580 for europe.. (without an amp)

way too much for my budget.. also i've heard the comfort isn't too good for them with included pads.. i ain't willing to risk that

6 hours ago, Exaco said:

I would've went with this ( probably used since its over budget ) 
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-edition-xx-headphones

nobody sells them used where i live.. or anything from massdrop in general... massdrop isn't popular here

looking forward to my COPPs

image.png.4ac89dabd30c9df44e65969927aff746.png

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

53 minutes ago, berny22 said:

i was suggested to buy these as well.. however they are $580 for europe.. (without an amp)

way too much for my budget.. also i've heard the comfort isn't too good for them with included pads.. i ain't willing to risk that

nobody sells them used where i live.. or anything from massdrop in general... massdrop isn't popular here

looking forward to my COPPs

image.png.4ac89dabd30c9df44e65969927aff746.png

Yeah pretty much same situation here, but we atleast have service that ships stuff from US and it's pretty much customs-free.
Anyway im pretty sure they have very decent comfort, currently i use HE4XX with exact same headband and similar but crappy pads and i would say the comfort is on par with HD 598 ( which is btw probs one of the most comfortable headphones on the market ) so these ones should have great comfort too, mby just bit heavier.

Also i'm afraid the COPP's are bit worse than DT770 sound-wise, you should've got the Custom Studio which i think is bit better than DT770 250ohm ( it's like all the flaws of DT770 is fixed, but still not rly the DT 1770 level ). However you could probably use the Custom One for a while and return them, then get Studio's or even keep the COPP's if it's perfect also i don't think they all have massive differences :)

1 hour ago, Exaco said:

Yeah pretty much same situation here, but we atleast have service that ships stuff from US and it's pretty much customs-free.
Anyway im pretty sure they have very decent comfort, currently i use HE4XX with exact same headband and similar but crappy pads and i would say the comfort is on par with HD 598 ( which is btw probs one of the most comfortable headphones on the market ) so these ones should have great comfort too, mby just bit heavier.

Also i'm afraid the COPP's are bit worse than DT770 sound-wise, you should've got the Custom Studio which i think is bit better than DT770 250ohm ( it's like all the flaws of DT770 is fixed, but still not rly the DT 1770 level ). However you could probably use the Custom One for a while and return them, then get Studio's or even keep the COPP's if it's perfect also i don't think they all have massive differences :)

I'm guessing the sound quality is better than my current headset (hyperX cloud ii).. i am not really an audophile so I probably wouldn't notice any difference between $50 & $2000 headphones.. nor do I care.. I just wanted a high quality comfortable headset for bass heads..

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

2 hours ago, berny22 said:

I'm guessing the sound quality is better than my current headset (hyperX cloud ii).. i am not really an audophile so I probably wouldn't notice any difference between $50 & $2000 headphones.. nor do I care.. I just wanted a high quality comfortable headset for bass heads..

The cloud 2's is very close to these Custom One's in terms of sound profile but Custom One's imo is superior in every way.
Cloud 2 just has terrible treble and positional balance, you probably will instantly sell cloud's after COPP's. And yeah i don't think there's reasonable difference in these beyer models, for audiophiles they might be major but for us we probs would not be even tell which ones is which if blind tested.

I would not call myself an audiophile, but here's few things that you would notice immediately with better sound in headphones: clarity/detail, smoothness and most importantly superior soundstage & imaging especially if it's open back cans and overall it would sound more immersive/realistic.