Should I get the X1E Gen 2, XPS 15 7590 or the new MSI Prestige 15?

My budget is $1500 and some of the requirementsare:

• Good battery life
  • Good keyboard for programming, and occasional gaming
  • Weight up to 4.4/4.5 lbs
  • GPU capable of running GTA 5, Witcher 3, or Overwatch on High settings at decent frame rate. But gaming will be occasional
  • Good thermals, as I'd not like to repaste again and again.

I've been through many reviews of XPS but can't find many for X1E. MSI as I'm aware launched yesterday, but I'm reading it'll be similar to PS63 with better display quality and brightness with an upgraded graphics card. There's the Vostro 15 7590 as well, so I'm not really sure which laptop to get.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Just go for MSI Prestige 15. You won't have sleep issues like XPS 15 does and you will have better battery life than X1E. You seem to be aware, but battery life, build quality, keyboard and touchpad feel, are the same as in PS63, the rest is better in Prestige 15, also, Prestige 15 "technically" has better cooling than PS63 because it has 1 more heatpipe covering the cpu. Also, it is lighter than both XPS and X1E (considering the charger in weight). That i7 10710U has similar, if not, the same performance as an i7 8750H (well, at least in benchmarks). 
For the 1399$ config. you're getting twice the Ram capacity and storage with Prestige 15 compared to XPS 15, also, P 15 has 1 free m.2 nvme/sata 3 slot. Of course, XPS15's and X1E's displays are brighter, but as of now we don't know P 15's brightness in nits, but for sure it is brighter than the ~280nits PS63 display (as claimed by MSI).

Hey, thanks for the insights LumD. Do you have any idea when the MSI prestige 15 will be released? I live in Europe, but USA launch date would interest me as well

17 hours ago, cracksparrow said:

I've been through many reviews of XPS but can't find many for X1E

Please don't get an X1E Gen 2. Recently, I bought two P1 Gen 2 laptops (pretty much the same as the X1E Gen 2) and one of them had a defective keyboard. That's completely unacceptable on a $2000 business laptop. Aside from that, battery life was also terrible (I was getting like 6 hours) and the materials just didn't feel expensive. Lenovo's quality control is garbage and you should avoid buying modern ThinkPads. On top of that, Lenovo's customer service is trash (they have a 1.7 star rating on Google) and the laptop's shipment was delayed like two weeks.

I returned both of them and bought a MacBook Pro 13" instead (it was actually cheaper than the P1 Gen 2) and I'm completely satisifed with that decision.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

8 hours ago, Tolrag said:

Hey, thanks for the insights LumD. Do you have any idea when the MSI prestige 15 will be released? I live in Europe, but USA launch date would interest me as well

It started to ship from Newegg and other sites 2 days ago. It is expected to start shipping to retailers in 1 week or so, i asked BestBuy and they didn't have a specific date but they said that by mid-October MSI Prestige 15 will be in shelves for sure.

Thanks LumD. After posting my question I found out about Newegg (i didn't know they shipped to Europe, that's pretty neat). Thanks for all the other details you provided as well. Really appreciate it. I really feel that this laptop is going to be a killer.

On 9/29/2019 at 1:10 AM, cracksparrow said:

My budget is $1500 and some of the requirementsare:

• Good battery life
  • Good keyboard for programming, and occasional gaming
  • Weight up to 4.4/4.5 lbs
  • GPU capable of running GTA 5, Witcher 3, or Overwatch on High settings at decent frame rate. But gaming will be occasional
  • Good thermals, as I'd not like to repaste again and again.

I've been through many reviews of XPS but can't find many for X1E. MSI as I'm aware launched yesterday, but I'm reading it'll be similar to PS63 with better display quality and brightness with an upgraded graphics card. There's the Vostro 15 7590 as well, so I'm not really sure which laptop to get.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Out of those 3, the MSI Prestige is the best. the ThinkPad is also good but I heard from HIDevolution's tech support that it throttles at 80C which is not good.

Get it from them and choose "Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut + Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads" That 90 USD upgrade alone drops temps by 15C!

Also their quality control and customer service is superb and they give you lifetime tech support for free.

See: Custom Built MSI Prestige 15 A10SC-011 - 15.6" FHD - i7-10710U - GTX 1650 Max-Q

Alienware m16 R1 | AMD Ryzen 9 7945HX | SK Hynix 64 GB 5200 MHz DDR5 RAM | GeForce RTX 4090 16 GB GDDR6 | 16" QHD+ (2560 x 1600) 240Hz, 3ms 300-nits Screen | 2x Samsung 990 PRO 4TB SSDs + WD_BLACK SN770M 2TB SSD | Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210 | Windows 11 Pro