Game where the map is the whole of earth

lilc

I don't know how you'd expect them to do this in first person. That would require way too much work.

Cool idea, but honestly I don't see it taking off. There's 92,500,000 square kilometers of land to map.

If they found some way to map their game with Google maps, that would be interesting.

The Division is still top of my list.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Haha, no. Just no. This will never happen.

"Same rules since the first man picked up the first stick and beat the second man's ass with it."

Didn't FSX already have the whole world as a map? Of course it's not as detailed, but you could pretty much fly to every place on earth.

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Top down is a shame. Imagine this in FPS.

It would be impossible. You would get stuck on too many objects. But also the cameras they are using are not that high resolution, so you couldn't image small objects. But I think top down is a good idea for a first step.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Interesting.... Too bad the game will probably be MASSIVE to install. They'll give you a 500GB WD external drive and that will be the install disk. lol

this comment made my day hahahaha

i think this game will be amazing if they can pull it off i haven't been excited by a game in a while and this really excites me although i dont know how they are going to get the money and quite possibly the time to do it.

Oh well...it might evolve over time.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Top down is disappointing but I can see why they're doing it. How the hell would you implement a fast travel system in a game where the entire Earth is the map? Imagine all the discoverable locations, you'd go nuts trying to find them.

Imagine if the entire world was the map for DayZ

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Top down is disappointing but I can see why they're doing it. How the hell would you implement a fast travel system in a game where the entire Earth is the map? Imagine all the discoverable locations, you'd go nuts trying to find them.

Screw fast travel, play legit and spend days traveling.

My thought behind this is perhaps the 3d isn't good enough to even use as a first person shooter.  2D point and click games can be a lot more forgiving if you haven't got the 3D models quite right

0b10111010 10101101 11110000 00001101

All cool but I'm not prepared to pay billions for a petabyte or more storage to install this thing. Absolutely amazing and ambitious idea but I can't see it happen any time soon, at least for the entire world maybe for the main locations around the world first but it will take years to get all of the smaller areas around the world.

Re:roll <---is also

I don't think these guys know how hugh planet Earth is, wiki tell me it's 510.000.000 km2 yeah - 1km² at a time? say that time is 1h.... When did they say this game would be finished?

Like the idea but seriously? never gonna happen unless google (Yes! my spelling app doesn't know the word Google) suddenly decides to pop Gmaps into a game engine with terrible graphics, but in all honesty just go outside!?

P.S. can someone brake this down into image size? i.e. 10m²=1k res

It'd be amazing if a game would map a whole city every building closet cup and corner

Looks like Google Earth with Runescape over the top of it.

Was interested until i saw the projected gameplay

My Rig: AMD FX-8350 @ 4.5 Ghz, Corsair H100i, Gigabyte gtx 770 4gb, 8 gb Patriot Viper 2133 mhz, Corsair C70 (Black), EVGA Supernova 750g Modular PSU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard, Asus next gen wifi card.

This is a top-down 2D game.... Are you kidding me?  -_-

They could have done SO MUCH MORE with this. I was really excited, then extremely disappointed when watching the video.

You do realize the amount of data needed to create a realistic 3D model of every country/city on Earth, right? It's not practical, especially if it were a 1:1 scale. 

Google Maps in 3D might be practical, but not a game on that scale. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

I hope they release the 3D meshes for the earth... then we could have a different studio release a good game with the earth as the environment...

At the beginning I was like

Dis_gon_b_gud.gif

After the video I was like

FuckthisImouttahereBestinventionever_d51

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014