Game where the map is the whole of earth

lilc

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-04-ex-ubisoft-devs-are-recreating-the-entire-planet-using-drones

Ex-Ubisoft devs have founded an indie company called Pixyul and are using drones to map out the world and then put it in an action RPG called ReROLL

"Using small civilian drones, like the eBee mini-drone developed by senseFly, a partner of Pixyul, our intention is to drone source and recreate the entire planet one square kilometer at a time," the wildly ambitious new indie outfit explained. "These autonomous drones are equipped with small digital HD cameras and they map out the environment by taking thousands of pictures. These pictures are processed with existing 3D software to reconstructs the actual environment as 3D objects. This data and these 3D objects will generate the game's environment or in video game terms, the level design"

This is to ambitious to believe, what are your thoughts?

Their video

Edit- They also have a faq with more information http://rerollgame.com/about/faq/

Interesting.... Too bad the game will probably be MASSIVE to install. They'll give you a 500GB WD external drive and that will be the install disk. lol

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

This is a top-down 2D game.... Are you kidding me?  -_-

They could have done SO MUCH MORE with this. I was really excited, then extremely disappointed when watching the video.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

I don't have high hopes for this, but a 3D thing like this for GTA would be AWESOME. (Everyone could actually live in their real homes in GTA :D)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Why do they ruin concepts like this with point-and-click. First person would be so much better; if they want realism then make it how we see it!

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

live_on_this_planet_futurama.gif

Expectations rise and crushed. guess its back to planetside 2.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

if they want realism then make it how we see it!

If they want realism, they would make a simulator.

"With every meeting, comes a parting. However, not every parting has to last forever."

If they want realism, they would make a simulator.

I think it's indisputable that point and click games of this nature are terrible.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Why do they ruin concepts like this with point-and-click. First person would be so much better; if they want realism then make it how we see it!

This is very early proof of concept. I'm hoping if this does get made, it is changed.

Cool concept, bad execution. It's probably going to flop.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

mapping the planet is going to take them forever

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

This would probably be the most expensive game to develop and will probably take a while to map the whole earth. BRICK 1 is ready in mid 2015 so it won't be releasing this year.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

This is a top-down 2D game.... Are you kidding me?  -_-

They could have done SO MUCH MORE with this. I was really excited, then extremely disappointed when watching the video.

IKR. I feel like its comparable to someone making affordable, extremely powerful quantum computing chip, only capable of running Windows Vista.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Expectations rise and crushed. guess its back to planetside 2.

I totally agree

Sounds like a redundant game but the concept is cool.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Did people actually expect this to be a 3d game?

Too ambitious, scan the world 1km^2 at a time... Just not practical, also would be breaking a lot of privacy laws in various regions. They would be better off using existing satellite data and 3D explorable regions.

Personally Outtera/anteworld looks more promising to me. Currently in playable alpha being developed as a side project. Re-creates the entire planet in a seamless 3D environment using detailed satellite data for topography and fractal calculations. It includes a goolge maps plugin for "gps" which allows you to explore the world and know where you are.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Top down is a shame. Imagine this in FPS.

yea when i was watching this i was really hyped up then i saw the game play and lost intrest