Soundproofing streaming room?

Bruh_Gaming

Hello all,

I've seen lots of posts online of people asking for help soundproofing a room, which usually ends with someone suggesting those foam soundpads - which are for stopping reverb etc. not actually sound proofing.

My building has very thin walls, so people can hear my every word even in normal speaking - let alone with a booming streamer voice.

I've done everything I can in terms of blocking gaps under the door and windows, but the problem here lies in the walls AND the floor - people in rooms next to or below me can hear everything.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, Bruh_Gaming said:

Hello all,

I've seen lots of posts online of people asking for help soundproofing a room, which usually ends with someone suggesting those foam soundpads - which are for stopping reverb etc. not actually sound proofing.

My building has very thin walls, so people can hear my every word even in normal speaking - let alone with a booming streamer voice.

I've done everything I can in terms of blocking gaps under the door and windows, but the problem here lies in the walls AND the floor - people in rooms next to or below me can hear everything.

Soundproofing is much harder than sound treatment because you need mass, which means concrete, bricks, etc, most of which are not very viable unless you are willing to rebuild your room.

I have had limited success with rockwool and heavy rubber mats, both of which have their drawbacks, but its better than nothing. There are companies which sell relatively thin boards which are meant for soundproofing, do not confuse these with acoustic panels, cos they are heavy and meant for soundproofing. These can be a viable method but these boards tend to be pricey too. Heavy drapes and carpet will also help, but not to a huge extent too.

A few questions if you don't mind.

1. What are the dimensions of your streaming room?  Length x Width x Height

2. How often do you stream?

3. Do you rent or own ?

There are different solutions depending on budget and answers to the above questions. My experience in my own studio is Mass/Air controls sound transmission, and Diffusion/Absorption helps with clarity.

Dennis Foley of Acoustic Fields has helped me a ton with my own space. Check out his Youtube videos just to increase your understanding of how sound treatment/isolation really works.

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for your reply - I'm at work at the moment so I can't give you a guess for the measurements but I can answer the other two questions:

- I stream 4 days a week currently due to work

- I rent the house

Just to clarify, the sound on my recordings sounds great, but the issue lies in neighbors hearing obnoxious stream chatter

Have you considered not caring what your neighbors think?

I literally scream in to a microphone for fun and profit and my neighbors understand at this point I'm not stopping.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

43 minutes ago, The_Prycer said:

Have you considered not caring what your neighbors think?

I literally scream in to a microphone for fun and profit and my neighbors understand at this point I'm not stopping.

I guarantee that wouldn't happen if you were my neighbor!

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

8 hours ago, Bruh_Gaming said:

Hello all,

The easiest way to do this is to hang heavy, thick mats/curtains to the walls, To do this properly you would usually build a second room inside the room, and fill the gap with concrete or very dense material.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

7 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Luckily I own my own home now so I can be as loud as I need to be for vocal and instrumental practice, but back in my apartment days I'd organize practice times around my neighbor's schedules since I do actually make money with the noises that come out of my throat box.

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

7 minutes ago, The_Prycer said:

Luckily I own my own home now so I can be as loud as I need to be for vocal and instrumental practice, but back in my apartment days I'd organize practice times around my neighbor's schedules since I do actually make money with the noises that come out of my throat box.

I don't give the north end of a southbound furry little rodent if you make money off your music. If I hear it inside my home, you will be talking to the police.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

4 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I don't give the north end of a southbound furry little rodent if you make money off your music. If I hear it inside my home, you will be talking to the police.

Not even a neighborly knock and ask to turn it down first? 

乇乂丅尺卂 丅卄工匚匚

1 hour ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

This is why I have my loudspeaker's up on thick as hell granite plinth's, dont want neighbours shouting at me -w-

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

9 hours ago, The_Prycer said:

Not even a neighborly knock and ask to turn it down first? 

That hasn't worked well in the past. No matter how nice and polite I tried to be, the reaction usally was something like, "It's my house and I can do what I want in it." I just don't bother anymore. I let the police deal with it. Fortunately, I have good neighbors now that are not a problem except one household who are apparently afraid of the police. I threatened to call the cops on them a few years ago after the little bastard that answered the door kept saying, "not my problem" over and over and they have been quiet ever since.

Jeannie