8700k, 5.0 All-Core at 1.285V, OK?

So, this is pretty simple. I'm new to OC.

My build is in my signature, but I played with some OC today, and managed to get an all-core 5.0 GHz OC on my 8700K at 1.285V (I know 1.35V is the upper limit) and under any stress test, it tends to sit around 60-70C with spikes to around 80 but never sitting there.

Am I lucky at all, or if you have an 8700K what do you have? I feel like my voltage may be a tad high, but thermals seem to be fine, and if I drop the voltage it's either unstable, or doesn't even boot anymore.

For ref. if you don't want to look in the sig, 8700K, cooled by a Corsair 115i Platinum (280mm AIO) in a Corsair 500D SE.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

sounds like a good OC to me. 1.285v is completely safe to run daily and pretty respectable. depending on the stress tests you ran, you should rarely (if ever) see those temps in daily use

1 minute ago, Derrk said:

sounds like a good OC to me. 1.285v is completely safe to run daily and pretty respectable. depending on the stress tests you ran, you should rarely (if ever) see those temps in daily use

Intel XTU for 5 hours, Cinebench R20 multi for 2 hours, Prime95 for 2 hours.

Went from 2880 to 3491 in R20 mult, and 512 single. I don't recall the pre-OC single, as I forgot to snap a pick of it, sadly.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

29 minutes ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

managed to get an all-core 5.0 GHz OC on my 8700K at 1.285V (I know 1.35V is the upper limit)

Is that what you see in e.g. hwinfo64 when running prime95? Just curious, since I am seeing 1.345V on my 8700K when running prime95 -- seems to be quite a big discrepancy in what I set it to in BIOS and what it actually is when under load.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am running all-core boost, tho.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

Intel XTU for 5 hours, Cinebench R20 multi for 2 hours, Prime95 for 2 hours.

Went from 2880 to 3491 in R20 mult, and 512 single. I don't recall the pre-OC single, as I forgot to snap a pick of it, sadly.

yeah, you're golden. nice OC, enjoy it! :)

Just now, WereCatf said:

Is that what you see in e.g. hwinfo64 when running prime95? Just curious, since I am seeing 1.345V on my 8700K when running prime95 -- seems to be quite a big discrepancy in what I set it to in BIOS and what it actually is when under load.

I did not use hwinfo64 during it, I had XTU open and I think it peaked at at 1.31V, so not really that much higher. Though, I'm not sure how accurate it is, by comparison to HWINFO64.

5ghz @ 1.28v is golden sample imo

see my stats below

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Plutosaurus said:

5ghz @ 1.28v is golden sample imo

see my stats below

See, I mostly asked because there's no way my first personal build is this lucky. I've also got +192 on the core of my 2070 and it's completely stable. Mind you, I've yet to touch the memory, I'm not that confident on how to deal with that, and if it will make a difference.

13 minutes ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

I did not use hwinfo64 during it, I had XTU open and I think it peaked at at 1.31V, so not really that much higher. Though, I'm not sure how accurate it is, by comparison to HWINFO64.

1.31V is quite a bit lower than what I am getting away with. I'm hitting 100C with my 8700K, so I am definitely somewhat envious of you ?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

See, I mostly asked because there's no way my first personal build is this lucky. 

5.0ghz @ 1.285V is impressive (without delid ?). You won the jackpot on the silicone lottery. You might consider trying a bit more OC 5.1-5.2ghz as you have a big head room on your voltage.

2 hours ago, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

(I know 1.35V is the upper limit)

Anything below 1.4V is fine. I got a loosing ticket on the silicone lottery with my 8600k. I had to do a delid to get it stable at 5.0ghz on 1,37V (been running fine for almost a year now).

If you try to get 5.1 or 5.2 and are having temp/stability issues then I would definitely recommend a delid with some liquid metal. 

I know some ppl are a bit afraid doing a delid but it is really simple actually. 

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

2 minutes ago, Boyohan said:

on the silicone lottery

Silicone:

images.jpg.8a17fb471c1c6c482a3bf433c5df1e7c.jpg

Silicon:

220px-SiC_p1390066.jpg.e028e472a987f7c411cb08be3aca7b59.jpg

While both are fun to play with, there's a rather big difference in applications ?

Just now, WereCatf said:

Silicone:

images.jpg.8a17fb471c1c6c482a3bf433c5df1e7c.jpg

Silicon:

220px-SiC_p1390066.jpg.e028e472a987f7c411cb08be3aca7b59.jpg

While both are fun to play with, there's a rather big difference in applications ?

I don't see the problem here. Win - Win situation regardless ? 

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 10:56 PM, SlayerOfHellWyrm said:

So, this is pretty simple. I'm new to OC.

My build is in my signature, but I played with some OC today, and managed to get an all-core 5.0 GHz OC on my 8700K at 1.285V (I know 1.35V is the upper limit) and under any stress test, it tends to sit around 60-70C with spikes to around 80 but never sitting there.

Am I lucky at all, or if you have an 8700K what do you have? I feel like my voltage may be a tad high, but thermals seem to be fine, and if I drop the voltage it's either unstable, or doesn't even boot anymore.

For ref. if you don't want to look in the sig, 8700K, cooled by a Corsair 115i Platinum (280mm AIO) in a Corsair 500D SE.

Yeah, thats a good one. I lucked out too and run at 1.285v with no crashes during gaming, which is around 5 - 6 hours a day straight. Haven't  stressed tested it with prime 95 or similar but feel no need to since i can run all my games at max graphics settings at very high fps and rarely ever crash.  Encodes videos with adobe media encoder and never goes above 75C. AME is usually a stress test itself when encoding huge video files. I actually came across a site called siliconlottery.com that sells rated chips that have been stress tested and gauranteed to run at a specific frequency. Was curious and got a 9700K rated for 5.1GHz... man it runs cool at 5GHz at 1.285v also. Havent tried 5.1 yet but really see no need for now. its extremely fast.

Seems great if it’s really stable. Had a core falling or unstable when running too low. Didn’t crash anything I was running but could still be noticed in gameplay. Had to bump the voltage up. Think I sit at 1.35 for 5.0 now but sat around 1.28 for awhile before I figured that out. Can only see the fall during bench tests. 

2C7442B4-91DA-4154-86AF-4BD9D5520142.jpeg

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I only got 4.9Ghz at 1.33 stable :(. Think I´ve got a pretty bad sample but temps are fine with delid :D