What percentage of Adobe RGB is needed in a monitor for print color accuracy?

yoshiii

Hello,

What percentage of Adobe RGB is needed in a monitor used for print color accuracy?

I found a monitor that has DCI-3, 107% sRGB, Delta E and 73% Adobe RGB.

42 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

100% sRGB is likely good enough. Most decent IPS panels will be in that range.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

That depends if your source image has color that is outside of sRGB and if your printer/paper combination can actually print beyond sRGB.

If the answer to either of these is no, then it doesn't matter.

However, standard gamut panels tend to be lower quality, so they generally aren't the best displays for proofing compared to high quality panels, which tend to be wide gamut (99%+ aRGB and DCI-P3).

For printing it is best to work in a 4 color process(cmyk). Mainly because if you send an image out for large format printing it will be converted to cmyk in the Rip process.

In the conversion process some colors may shift and the output will not match what you see on screen.

The best monitors to see these color shifts are 10 bit or 10 bit(8 bit +frc). It does not matter if they are TN, VA or IPS but they need to be 10 bit.

With 8 bit monitors you may not see the shaft on screen and if you don't have a pantone accurate printer to test you will only see the shift in the final output. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

6 hours ago, badreg said:

That depends if your source image has color that is outside of sRGB and if your printer/paper combination can actually print beyond sRGB.

If the answer to either of these is no, then it doesn't matter.

However, standard gamut panels tend to be lower quality, so they generally aren't the best displays for proofing compared to high quality panels, which tend to be wide gamut (99%+ aRGB and DCI-P3).

2 hours ago, jones177 said:

For printing it is best to work in a 4 color process(cmyk). Mainly because if you send an image out for large format printing it will be converted to cmyk in the Rip process.

In the conversion process some colors may shift and the output will not match what you see on screen.

The best monitors to see these color shifts are 10 bit or 10 bit(8 bit +frc). It does not matter if they are TN, VA or IPS but they need to be 10 bit.

With 8 bit monitors you may not see the shaft on screen and if you don't have a pantone accurate printer to test you will only see the shift in the final output. 

I am thinking about buying the Acer XB273 27in 4k monitor. Its 144 hz but it has the DCI-P3, 107% sRBG, Delta E and 73% Adobe RGB.   Will this be good for print or only for digital content and video editing?

4 hours ago, yoshiii said:

I am thinking about buying the Acer XB273 27in 4k monitor. Its 144 hz but it has the DCI-P3, 107% sRBG, Delta E and 73% Adobe RGB.   Will this be good for print or only for digital content and video editing?

It is an 10 bit(8 bit +frc) panel so it is a good fit for me. 

The price is good as well.

If they had a 32" version under $1500 I would buy it.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

~100% AdobeRGB gamut or ~100% DCI-P3 gamut will be OK. ~100% sRGB is poor.

Fig04-AdobeRGBDisplayP3sRGBEpExFi-split.jpg

ps. AdobeRGB and DCI-P3 are different , but their volume is comparable (both much bigger than sRGB)

Colorspace.png.b079af3d045ab977ceb7d655d1fe2dda.png

38 minutes ago, Kyle_PL said:

~100% AdobeRGB gamut or ~100% DCI-P3 gamut will be OK. ~100% sRGB is poor.

Fig04-AdobeRGBDisplayP3sRGBEpExFi-split.jpg

ps. AdobeRGB and DCI-P3 are different , but their volume is comparable (both much bigger than sRGB)

Colorspace.png.b079af3d045ab977ceb7d655d1fe2dda.png

Thanks,

So DCI-P3 covers the same area as Pro Photo RGB and is bigger than Adobe RGB?

What do you think about the monitor I going to buy?

5 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

So DCI-P3 covers the same area as Pro Photo RGB and is bigger than Adobe RGB?

Nooooooo! :) DCI-P3 are much smaller than ProPhotoRGB (and AdobeRGB are much smaller than ProPhotoRGB). Volume of DCI-P3 are comparable only to AdobeRGB (but those gamuts are not the same).

Just now, Kyle_PL said:

Nooooooo! :) DCI-P3 are much smaller than ProPhotoRGB (and AdobeRGB are much smaller than ProPhotoRGB). Volume of DCI-P3 are comparable only to AdobeRGB (but those gamuts are not the same).

Oh ok, so I found more specs for the one I am thinking about. It has more than 90% DCI-P3, 82% Adobe RGB, 100% sRGB, Delta E 2.

What do you think? I need to use the monitor for graphic design, video editing, 3D design and rendering and some gaming.

Just now, yoshiii said:

It has more than 90% DCI-P3, 82% Adobe RGB,

Its look OK in term of "gamut size". But remember - gamut size its not all in color accuracy . Remember about linearity, gamma shift, color shift , uniformity, and so on.

1 minute ago, Kyle_PL said:

Its look OK in term of "gamut size". But remember - gamut size its not all in color accuracy . Remember about linearity, gamma shift, color shift , uniformity, and so on.

I am still learning about these things so dont know what to look for as far as the other things listed.

I think You should read about Color Management System (CMS) , profiling ( Absolute colorimetric , Perceptual , and so on). CMS is "must have". ... read about "soft proof" too.

5 minutes ago, Kyle_PL said:

Specs say it can be switched between sRGB and DCI-P3 modes, the Dela E 2 grayscale avg is .042, gamma is 2.2 for the DCI-P3.  Delta E 2 is .43 and the grayscale 2.0 for the sRGB.

Are these good numbers?

3 minutes ago, yoshiii said:

Specs say it can be switched between sRGB and DCI-P3 modes,

When You will using CMS, You dont have to "switch" between sRGB and DCI-P3 mode in monitor. You will use native color gamut mode in monitor. Everything must be profiled and calibrated.

ps. dE under 1 is very good "number" ... if You really "have" it ;)

15 minutes ago, Kyle_PL said:

I think You should read about Color Management System (CMS) , profiling ( Absolute colorimetric , Perceptual , and so on). CMS is "must have".

ok