3900x wont boot to windows

I recently upgraded my system from a b350 mobo and ryzen 2600 to a tuf x570-plus and 3900x and I can no longer boot to windows. I've tried everything i can think of at this point and nothing works.

The OS is on an Intel 660p NVME. I know the motherboard works because I tested it with my 2600 before my 3900x arrived. I used to be able to access the PC in safe mode on the 3900x until I tried a fresh install. Now whenever I try to enter windows or safe mode I get an install error telling me to restart my PC. This loops on continuously. Nothing is overclocked. Could the CPU be a dud? I had read somewhere if its able to access safe mode then that is most likely not the case.

Discussion on reddit:

22 minutes ago, DaEpicOne said:

I recently upgraded my system from a b350 mobo and ryzen 2600 to a tuf x570-plus and 3900x and I can no longer boot to windows. I've tried everything i can think of at this point and nothing works.

The OS is on an Intel 660p NVME. I know the motherboard works because I tested it with my 2600 before my 3900x arrived. I used to be able to access the PC in safe mode on the 3900x until I tried a fresh install. Now whenever I try to enter windows or safe mode I get an install error telling me to restart my PC. This loops on continuously. Nothing is overclocked. Could the CPU be a dud? I had read somewhere if its able to access safe mode then that is most likely not the case.

Discussion on reddit:

Just to verify, did you install a clean version of windows? 

Technically because it is a different chipset (within the same brand even) there is a chance that it could have a driver incompatibility, but that is usually a rare case from what I have seen. It could also be that it windows needs to be installed with that exact CPU installed, idk anymore with windows 10 being so damn picky.

I often recommend trying to find a bootable USB and run tests on that if I can't get it to boot into a SSD/HDD.

25 minutes ago, nayman898 said:

Just to verify, did you install a clean version of windows? 

I often recommend trying to find a bootable USB and run tests on that if I can't get it to boot into a SSD/HDD.

I tried to create a fresh install of windows, completely wiping the drive, but I keep getting error messages.

Particularly, "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK"to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."

This error has locked me out of accessing safe mode and continually loops. I'm going to try and create the boot disk off of the old chipset and cpu tomorrow to see if i can regain access to safe mode. I'm running out of options. Starting to really think that the CPU is the issue.

Hey I had the same problem with my old rig..sadly I have no idea why too...but your's brand new shouldn't have this problem..what I think you could do is contact the seller for a new cpu..since everything else works will another cpu..

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X 4.3Ghz (-0.1V)
  • Motherboard
    MSI MEG X570 ACE
  • RAM
    G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F4-3200C16D-32GTRS
  • GPU
    GeForce RTX™ 3060 EAGLE OC 12G (rev. 2.0)
  • Case
    Cooler Master MASTERBOX MB520 ARGB + Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB
  • Storage
    ADATA XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
    ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB 2.5" SSD
    Toshiba X300 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache
    TOSHIBA MG06 (MG06ACA10TE) 10TB 3.5 Inch 7200RPM Enterprise SATA Hard Drive
  • PSU
    Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 FULL MODULAR
  • Display(s)
    Acer KG271B Gaming Monitor (HDR Ready 27" 1920X1080 240Hz) + MSI PRO MP241
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R RGB
  • Keyboard
    MSI Vigor GK80 RED GAMING KEYBOARD
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red Edition Wired Laser Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
  • Router
    Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX 11000

6 minutes ago, DaEpicOne said:

in the process of doing your install, do you completely wipe the storage device it is going on?

8 hours ago, nayman898 said:

in the process of doing your install, do you completely wipe the storage device it is going on?

yup

i have the same problem bro. built my pc last night. each time i try to boot, from a usb stick, windows crashes to a blue screen.

i havent found any fix yet. have you?

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI X470 Gaming Plus

2 hours ago, JOVi said:

i have the same problem bro. built my pc last night. each time i try to boot, from a usb stick, windows crashes to a blue screen.

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI X470 Gaming Plus

For you, there is a detailed video going over the biggest potential fix, essentially on MSI boards you need to remove any connector from the reset switch for the front I/O panel. For some reason that is causing issues. I'd try that if you have an MSI MB. Hopefully it works...

The weird thing is that if the computer is POSTing that normally means the CPU is working... It seems like something is causing the motherboard to not work correctly with the OS/any OS. I wonder if you try putting it in Legacy mode and booting through NTFS MBR instead of UEFI GPT if that might do anything... Something sounds funky with bios stuff, a bad CPU shouldn't load anything at all. 

My other thought is if windows has a faulty driver in certain OS versions that doesn't work with the chipset

Aha! The error code you're getting, is that consistent?

If so, you need to find the .ini file for your LAN driver and put it a folder in the root directory of your windows installation media. There will be an option for you select drivers to install, select that driver .ini file. It should provide a solution to the installation errors and potentially fix the issue with your windows 10 version

47 minutes ago, nayman898 said:

If so, you need to find the .ini file for your LAN driver and put it a folder in the root directory of your windows installation media. There will be an option for you select drivers to install, select that driver .ini file. It should provide a solution to the installation errors and potentially fix the issue with your windows 10 version

Sorry, I'm a little confused on which .ini file for the MB LAN drivers that you are referring to. There appears to be many files with that extension in the zip. Does AsusSetup.ini sound right? Should it still work if I were to just install all the drivers to the boot usb?

Drivers:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

Which BIOS are you on?

What are the rest of your system specifications? Please list Power supply, GPU, Storage drive for Windows and any other storage drive, RAM.

5 minutes ago, tufpistol said:

Which BIOS are you on?

What are the rest of your system specifications? Please list Power supply, GPU, Storage drive for Windows and any other storage drive, RAM.

MOBO: ASUS Tuf x570-plus wifi

BIOS ver. 1005

PSU: EVGA 650 w

GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (ACX3.0)

OS drive: Intel 660p 1TB

Other drives: 2 Samsung 860 QVO 1TB SSDs, an old digital western 4TB HDD, Seagate 2TB Baracuda

RAM: 32 GB Ballistix Sport LT 2400MH (4 sticks of 16GB)

Have you tried disconnecting all storage devices except the OS install drive? Windows is infamous about installing OS files on other storage devices. Also, if any OS files are on these other drives it can cause boot issues.

What about the first suggestion PLUS only one RAM stick?

Also what model EVGA 650w? 650 total watts, which isn't representative of the 12V rail amperage alone, may be a squeeze for your system specs. I believe the minimum for your system should be 550-600W but it depends on what your actual model number is.

4 minutes ago, tufpistol said:

Have you tried disconnecting all storage devices except the OS install drive? What about the first suggestion PLUS only one RAM stick?

I have tried with only the OS Drive installed, but not yet with a single stick of ram

Just now, DaEpicOne said:

I have tried with only the OS Drive installed, but not yet with a single stick of ram

single stick of RAM is a good attempt to be made. Please also try disconnecting peripherals that are not required. Such as speakers, Ethernet, Wireless LAN adapters, USB add in cards, etc.

1 hour ago, DaEpicOne said:

Sorry, I'm a little confused on which .ini file for the MB LAN drivers that you are referring to. There appears to be many files with that extension in the zip. Does AsusSetup.ini sound right? Should it still work if I were to just install all the drivers to the boot usb?

Drivers:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-GAMING-X570-PLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

I'm sorry, I meant .inf... thats my bad.

this file 
(unzipped folder)\WIN10\64\rt640x64.inf

What the heck... I think I might have fixed it. Gonna run some tests to make sure everything is working correctly and stable. I ended up installing a fresh install of windows from a b350 mobo and a ryzen 2600 and then throwing that ssd into my x570 and 3900x system once the install was complete

3 hours ago, DaEpicOne said:

What the heck... I think I might have fixed it. Gonna run some tests to make sure everything is working correctly and stable. I ended up installing a fresh install of windows from a b350 mobo and a ryzen 2600 and then throwing that ssd into my x570 and 3900x system once the install was complete

Everything was going fine until i got a dvi error on my MB during a windows update. For some reason this will occasionally occur when I start the PC with the DP cable on my primary monitor plugged in resulting in no image to any of my monitors. So I let the PC do its thing and after about 20 minutes I powered it off. Windows got corrupted and would only access in safe mode. So i tried a fresh install and ran into the same issue again. Hopefully a fresh install on the other PC will fix it again. Fingers crossed.

Update: Windows is very finicky. just did a fresh install on the other machine again since this one refuses to. I was able to successfully update windows to the latest version after i reinstalled it into my 3900x machine. I had success installing all the drivers and most of my programs that were lost in the previous wipes. I then had a few successful restarts. But then I decided to change the name of my PC which required another restart. Once again my mother board got stuck on the white led indicator during boot indicating a DVI error and i was no longer getting an image. Once again, I can access the PC in safe mode (I'm using it to type this message now) but it wont boot normally. I am starting to wonder if its just poor ryzen 3000 optimization.

Ive tried updating the bios via usb (FAT32 format) to version 1201 from 1005 but the EZflash installer tool in the bios keeps saying that it "is not a proper BIOS.' When ever i try and update via internet it says I am up to date.

Links to similar cases:

1) https://forums.tomsguide.com/threads/windows-10-will-not-boot-on-ryzen-3800x.455060/

2) https://community.amd.com/thread/241423

Ok, here is an update on the current situation.

Whenever I restart the system with a displayport monitor plugged in I have a chance of getting a DVI error which prevents both monitors from getting a signal.

Whenever I only have the HDMI monitor plugged in the error doesn't (or hasn't) come up.

The PC will boot to safe mode at normal speed.

The PC will boot normally to windows, but it will be stuck at the loading screen for 10 minutes to an hour before it boots.

Once in windows I haven't seen any performance issues as of yet.

On 9/22/2019 at 5:15 AM, JOVi said:

Ryzen 5 3600

MSI X470 Gaming Plus

if Nayman898's solution doesn't work, you can try putting your boot drive into another system to install windows then transplant the drive back into your 3600 PC.

On 9/25/2019 at 12:39 AM, DaEpicOne said:

if Nayman898's solution doesn't work, you can try putting your boot drive into another system to install windows then transplant the drive back into your 3600 PC.

took my rig to a service center. after trouble shooting for sometime, they discovered that the ram sticks (corsair vengeance lpx 2x8gb 2400 Mhz)  were defective out-of-the-box. got them replaced, on warranty. afterwards i could install windows just fine

I think you will need a BIOS update in order to use that CPU in that mobo, and I'm not sure if the update is out yet.

On 9/30/2019 at 5:02 AM, JOVi said:

took my rig to a service center. after trouble shooting for sometime, they discovered that the ram sticks (corsair vengeance lpx 2x8gb 2400 Mhz)  were defective out-of-the-box. got them replaced, on warranty. afterwards i could install windows just fine

Starting to wonder if my issue is related to poorly optimized ram. My kit worked just fine on my last system but its not on the list of quality ram so im wondering if its poor optimization. Just replace the mobo and the dvi errors and slow boot times still persist.

On 9/30/2019 at 10:13 AM, Bruh_Gaming said:

I think you will need a BIOS update in order to use that CPU in that mobo, and I'm not sure if the update is out yet.

It should work out of the box as it is a x570 board. updated to the latest BIOS and it doesnt change anything. wondering if its poor ram compatibility.