is updating my nvidia driver a good idea?

Simple Slimy

i am on 388.13 and feel like the newer would be worse is that true or will it make things run better

You can update and try.  If it doesn't work the way you want, uninstall it and reinstall the older version.

1 hour ago, Simple Slimy said:

i am on 388.13 and feel like the newer would be worse is that true or will it make things run better

So you haven't updated your GeForce driver since 2017? Give a new(er) driver a go, you might be surprised.

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Generally speaking, it's a good idea to keep your graphics card drivers up to date.

I mean if its working fine, don't mess with it tbh

I've had moments where I had time to kill, decided to update the drivers for the lulz and immediately all the games I play started crashing. Cue the ol' safe mode DDU and reinstall to older version that was working

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

If it has fixes for the games you play or stuff you use, then it’s a good idea. 

If you update to a buddy version that’s on you, reading notes helps depict that. 

I do it every few months. As I only buy one game a year normally. So no real point for me after the first month or so. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

9 hours ago, BigRom said:

I mean if its working fine, don't mess with it tbh

I've had moments where I had time to kill, decided to update the drivers for the lulz and immediately all the games I play started crashing. Cue the ol' safe mode DDU and reinstall to older version that was working

Well sure.

But if OP is on version 388 and gaming, it might not be a bad idea to update.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!