Massive Server Build for BOINC

Hi,

I'm new to the Server building and I plan to do a massive server build. 

I basically have 10 KW/h free for a whole year and thought I could do a huge server to donate computing power. My Idea is following have 8-10 Servers equipped with 4x E7-4870s. My Budget is about 10k. 

Additionally I'm still figuring it out how to connect them so the compute power could be used as one machine or leave them separate as smaller machines and run them on standalone. 

What do you think about my Idea? Is the CPU choice ok? I would like to reuse old server stuff so I could get a machine for about 900€. (For Example a HP ProLiant DL580 G7)

Thank you for any advice you can give me. I'm really determined and would like to make it reality.

Do you have specific projects you want to contribute to? some are more GPU dependent and you would be better off having as little machines with as many gfx cards you can fit in.

EDIT: You can install boinc clients to many machines you want and all you have to do is login to same account, they will get their own individual loads.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Why do BOINC when you can do 

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

I would like to use as much of the power I have available as I can. So saving power is not crucial. But keeping the budget at 10k is more important. 

About the project I want to tribute: I don’t really mind but if they prefer cpu computing I guess good for them :)

But in all seriousness, the CPU’s seem good, and generally do to the nature of these projects being intended for consumer PC’s, I think having them set up as 4 seperate severs would be better. As well, for folding specifically, 2060 Supers are best all around for folding, but 1070’s would likely be better due to being more likely available in large quantities

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

7 minutes ago, Quadrolo said:

I would like to use as much of the power I have available as I can. So saving power is not crucial. But keeping the budget at 10k is more important. 

About the project I want to tribute: I don’t really mind but if they prefer cpu computing I guess good for them :)

Those CPUs are old but considering they are 20 threads and you can have quad socket servers, it should be plenty for any project you throw at it. However I will still suggest you to get couple of quad core systems with as many gpus you can afford. I have been out of boinc game for a while so I cant comment on most efficient way of using that electricity but still GPUs are more capable.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Those CPUs are old but considering they are 20 threads and you can have quad socket servers, it should be plenty for any project you throw at it. However I will still suggest you to get couple of quad core systems with as many gpus you can afford. I have been out of boinc game for a while so I cant comment on most efficient way of using that electricity but still GPUs are more capable.

So if I get it right, having a system with these quad socket cpu accompanied by gpu cards. That would balance everything out? And could I get mining cards theoretically? With cryptomining not being popular anymore I should get them pretty cheap, right?

19 hours ago, Quadrolo said:

4x E7-4870s

This generation of CPU is rather poor performance wise and really power hungry. I know the power doesn't really matter but it's more the efficiency that I'm alluding to, it's really bad for these. Better to go with E5v1 or E5v2 which are a newer CPU architecture, E7v1 is actually an older architecture than E5v1.

4x E7-8890v4 perform really well though ?.

18 hours ago, Quadrolo said:

So if I get it right, having a system with these quad socket cpu accompanied by gpu cards. That would balance everything out?

You could also look at HPE DL560 Gen8/9s. You'll only get two dual slot GPUs in them but it depends how much balance you want, you could BOINC on 4 CPUs minus 2 or 4 threads and Fold on the GPUs. DL580s are nicer but maybe 560s are much cheaper, not actually looked.

On 9/20/2019 at 3:26 PM, leadeater said:

This generation of CPU is rather poor performance wise and really power hungry. I know the power doesn't really matter but it's more the efficiency that I'm alluding to, it's really bad for these. Better to go with E5v1 or E5v2 which are a newer CPU architecture, E7v1 is actually an older architecture than E5v1.

4x E7-8890v4 perform really well though ?.

You could also look at HPE DL560 Gen8/9s. You'll only get two dual slot GPUs in them but it depends how much balance you want, you could BOINC on 4 CPUs minus 2 or 4 threads and Fold on the GPUs. DL580s are nicer but maybe 560s are much cheaper, not actually looked.

Thanks a lot. This really helped. But I also have to be able to buy these servers 8-10 at once. Scavenging eBay is not an option for me because of deadlines. The server I mentioned before are tested and ready to ship. But I’ll do a quick search on what you suggested. Will update once I find new info or get some components. Thanks to everyone!

On 9/19/2019 at 8:03 PM, Quadrolo said:

Hi,

I'm new to the Server building and I plan to do a massive server build. 

I basically have 10 KW/h free for a whole year and thought I could do a huge server to donate computing power. My Idea is following have 8-10 Servers equipped with 4x E7-4870s. My Budget is about 10k. 

Additionally I'm still figuring it out how to connect them so the compute power could be used as one machine or leave them separate as smaller machines and run them on standalone. 

What do you think about my Idea? Is the CPU choice ok? I would like to reuse old server stuff so I could get a machine for about 900€. (For Example a HP ProLiant DL580 G7)

Thank you for any advice you can give me. I'm really determined and would like to make it reality.

I'm confused by 10kW/h free a year.. Do you mean you have 10kW/h free, or 10kW/h free a month? 10kW/h is not alot of power. A house use about 2kW/h a day for just essentials..

6 hours ago, AbsoluteFool said:

I'm confused by 10kW/h free a year.. Do you mean you have 10kW/h free, or 10kW/h free a month? 10kW/h is not alot of power. A house use about 2kW/h a day for just essentials..

I’m sorry for any confusion. I literally mean that I have about 10-15 kw at any given time. It’s pretty constant. I get confused between kw/h and kw. 
I know one means capacity and one means how much energy you can take at once. I mean the latter one

7 hours ago, Quadrolo said:

I’m sorry for any confusion. I literally mean that I have about 10-15 kw at any given time. It’s pretty constant. I get confused between kw/h and kw. 
I know one means capacity and one means how much energy you can take at once. I mean the latter one

Ah i see. Yeah the kW/h is how much you use. kW is just how much a device uses at peek capacity :)