Lenovo Y500

prolemur

is it good is it good those things are amazing buy it before reading this

I was looking at that but i went for a MSI GE60 and im glad i did, it plays games fine and its lighter, plus it has a MSATA slot for an SSD :)

:D It's not mainly for gaming but at a $870 price tag it's one of the better ones I've seen. Tell me other options please.

FWIW I've got the version with two 650m and I'm pretty happy with it. I just recently finished Bioshock Infinite on Very High Settings 1080p (Ultra was pretty playable too), so performace is pretty good imho.

But if you don't want the extra graphics perfomance the SLI gives you I think there are probably better options for you available (at least in terms of mobility/portability).

if your main purpose is gaming, then I suggest you get either of these:

http://www.avadirect.com/gaming-laptop-configurator.asp?PRID=25688

http://www.avadirect.com/gaming-laptop-configurator.asp?PRID=25026

although it has a weaker cpu, it has a significantly better GPU (GT 750m vs GTX 660m)

if you want to spend more money to get a better CPU(quad core) and a better gpu(GTX 670mx)

I suggest you get these

http://www.avadirect.com/gaming-laptop-configurator.asp?PRID=24076

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

If you go for a 17" laptop you pretty much throw portability out the window and at that point you're better off building a desktop for $800-1000 and getting much better performance than any laptop at that price.  I'd say go for the $870 Y500 and throw a 256GB SSD in there or something, the actual laptop itself is better quality than some Clevo laptop.  The avadirect pictures are basically photshopped, the laptops are much thicker/bulkier than they appear in the pictures.  Also the difference between even the GT 650M and the GTX 660M isn't that much so I wouldn't say the 660M is "significantly better" than the 750M.  

I'm using a Y480 right now and I really don't have much bad to say about it; the keyboard is excellent, one of the best in class.  The trackpad is a little oversensitive I guess but I haven't really messed with the options.  The GT 650M inside here runs the games I have at Ultra on my 1920x1200 monitor without a problem so I don't think the SLI is necessary unless you want to play Crysis 3 at max settings or something.

Well it for my parents, and secretly for me I'd like to have it be able to run games on medium+ 1080p.

The required list:

- <900

- =>15.6" 1080 screen 

Would like list:

- ssd

- back light keyboard

- discrete graphics

- not to look like a heavy duty gaming laptop

- quiet