Buy a eGPU or a full Rig? (Macbook Pro)

LeonMogarius
Go to solution Solved by VirusDumb,
20 hours ago, LeonMogarius said:

Damn,totally forgot to tell you.. 

i play games on Windows.. so naturally, Bootcamp.. 

Egpu is the best

Hello there! Thanks for taking your time reading this

So, I'm going to Malaysia (I'm Indonesian) for higher studies. 

I've recently bought a Macbook Pro 2018 13"

The reason I bought the Macbook is that I love to play music. I use Mainstage 3 and also Logic Pro. They're just my hobbies.

Been playing games since the last time I could remember, and in Indonesia, I play on my PC. 

Since I won't be bringing my PC to Malaysia

I was thinking of buying a new PC there. Although I think it'll take me some time since it's pricey (I can't really work with super cheap PC. HAHA)

Since buying a new PC would be expensive. I thought of buying eGPU for my Macbook Pro along with some peripherals and maybe a monitor to play in my dorm (and, thing i hate most about macbook, I also have to buy new drives for it)

What do you guys think? Should I buy eGPU, drives, monitor, peripherals to play on my Macbook Pro

OR, save some money and wait till I can buy a full PC. 

Which is worth it?

Anyway, I don't think I'll be able to bring my PC (if i decide to buy one) back to Indonesia. Not sure though about the rules with airlines. 

Thanks! 

Does a macbook support an eGPU? 

Edit: Yeah it seems they do.

Although I would save up and build a gaming computer because gaming on a Mac isn't the best experience. 

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

1 hour ago, LeonMogarius said:

The reason I bought the Macbook is that I love to play music. I use Mainstage 3 and also Logic Pro. They're just my hobbies.

Been playing games since the last time I could remember, and in Indonesia, I play on my PC. 

I was thinking of buying a new PC there. Although I think it'll take me some time since it's pricey (I can't really work with super cheap PC. HAHA)

Since buying a new PC would be expensive. I thought of buying eGPU for my Macbook Pro along with some peripherals and maybe a monitor to play in my dorm (and, thing i hate most about macbook, I also have to buy new drives for it)

What do you guys think? Should I buy eGPU, drives, monitor, peripherals to play on my Macbook Pro

Which is worth it?

Anyway, I don't think I'll be able to bring my PC (if i decide to buy one) back to Indonesia. Not sure though about the rules with airlines. 

Thanks! 

Hmmm. Bro , which game are you gonna play? And how much can you pay for a PC for gaming.

Anyways I think using a egpu is a bad idea cause most of the games for Mac are not gpu heavy

2 minutes ago, SeAsOn3 said:

Hmmm. Bro , which game are you gonna play? And how much can you pay for a PC for gaming.

Anyways I think using a egpu is a bad idea cause most of the games for Mac are not gpu heavy

What? games are games, regardless of the platform

Which is worth it?

Thanks! 

it might be a good idea in this case, since in the future you might be able to put that gpu in the new system when you'll be able to afford a new rig

2 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

^^^ Rise of the Tomb Raider has a macOS and Linux version, that game is GPU intensive as all heck. Also I'm pretty sure you can get the eGPU working in Windows 10 under BootCamp. 

OP, I'd go the eGPU route. Still more compact than a full PC, and:

2 minutes ago, Epimetheus said:

it might be a good idea in this case, since in the future you might be able to put that gpu in the new system when you'll be able to afford a new rig

^ this is a good point. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

16 hours ago, Epimetheus said:

MacBook games are not gpu heavy and my brother's Mac book has a rx 560x which he uses to play fortnite and tomb raider

On 9/16/2019 at 12:06 PM, LeonMogarius said:

Which is worth it?

Thanks! 

Get a PC. Windows is not at its best when using a mac. I've tried around 2012 and didn't like the experience. And MANY games are for Windows only, so there you go.

On 9/17/2019 at 12:14 AM, SeAsOn3 said:

I mostly play Apex Legends now, others like borderlands and what not

im going to bootcamp my macbook

On 9/17/2019 at 12:17 AM, Epimetheus said:

You are not wrong

On 9/17/2019 at 12:20 AM, Zando Bob said:

^^^ Rise of the Tomb Raider has a macOS and Linux version, that game is GPU intensive as all heck. Also I'm pretty sure you can get the eGPU working in Windows 10 under BootCamp. 

OP, I'd go the eGPU route. Still more compact than a full PC, and:

^ this is a good point. 

Yeah, good point. 

I know it’ll work under bootcamp.

Thing is, i just am not sure if the experience will be far different from a PC

17 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Get a PC. Windows is not at its best when using a mac. I've tried around 2012 and didn't like the experience. And MANY games are for Windows only, so there you go.

I guess so, thank you 

I know it’ll work under bootcamp.

Thing is, i just am not sure if the experience will be far different from a PC

I guess so, thank you 

Windows only doesn't matter if you're in Bootcamp, you're running full Windows. As for being different from a PC, it'll be the same as any Windows thin'n'light with an eGPU once you get Bootcamp up and running (assuming eGPUs work in Bootcamp, I'm pretty sure they do but that's worth a double check before going any further). 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

20 hours ago, LeonMogarius said:

Egpu is the best

Alright, guys. I think imma take the eGPU route. 

Thank you for answering this topic! :D cheers!

• 3 months later...
On 9/21/2019 at 6:20 PM, LeonMogarius said:

Alright, guys. I think imma take the eGPU route. 

Thank you for answering this topic! :D cheers!

Hey , I'll probably be in a similar situation as you in a few months (study abroad, only a macbook with boot camp at hand that has enough cpu power for gaming but an inadequate gpu). So I was wondering If you ended up buying that egpu and if it worked out?

Also which gpu brand did you choose for the egpu (Ideally I want to use a Nvidia card that I would also use for my desktop)?

And lastly: when you play games on boot camp, can you use the egpu you send the image over thunderbolt back to the macbook display or only to an external one (I know that this works with some systems, but couldn't find information if that also applies to a macbook running boot camp)?

Thanks