Thoughts before I RMA board?

daphatgrant

Hello all, I'm pretty sure my board has given up the ghost. I have an Asus Crosshair VIII Hero X570 board and it was running great until last night when I decided to upgrade to the latest bios. I did everything by the book, downloaded the new bios installed it with a usb drive, no issues. Everything seemed great, the upgrade was successful, I rebooted and it couldn't get back into Windows, just an endless loop of trying, then trying recovery and repeating. It never attempts to actually repair anything, just reboots.

I've tried booting into linux on a usb drive, tried running the windows installer from a usb drive and it just doesn't want anything to do with it and reboots after a few seconds. I've pulled the drives and swapped ram sticks and unplugged everything other than the mouse and keyboard. Memtest runs fine however and I was able to run drive test/scans in the bios without any problems, my issues seem to start after the post screen goes away. It will try to load from a drive or usb stick but will just end up rebooting. I've also tried all the different bios versions with no change. I even broke out a cd drive to try Win 7 and got the same reboot cycle.

I've cleared the cmos, set settings to default in the bios, looked through the boot menu settings and messed with that for a bit to no avail.

Anything else I should try before RMAing this board?

You can try to re-flash the bios again.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I’d say you tried everything there is to try.

Maybe try a different SSD/HDD to install windows upon that is unknowen to the system, if you happen to have one & give the re-flash a chance as samcool suggest.

But other than that, I would RMA it and honestly I'd put a post it on the board: “please learn to provide proper bios updates that do not brick boards, other companies manage to do it too.” I like Asus motherboards but doing BIOS updates on them is like playing russian roulette, with 4 bullets in the revolver instead of 1.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

You can try to re-flash the bios again.

I've tried all 3 available bios versions since this started and it does the same reboot loop.

1 minute ago, Nord said:

Maybe try a different SSD/HDD to install windows upon that is unknowen to the system, if you happen to have one & give the re-flash a chance as samcool suggest.

But other than that, I would RMA it and honestly I'd put a post it on the board: “please learn to provide proper bios updates that do not brick boards, other companies manage to do it too.” I like Asus motherboards but doing BIOS updates on them is like playing russian roulette, with 4 bullets in the revolver instead of 1.

Yeah I've tried other drives, they are recognized fine but I can't get an installer to run. I thought ubuntu on a usb stick might work but nope same reboot loop.

7 minutes ago, Nord said:

Please can you ensure you format your posts correctly so us night theme users can actually read them. 

Honestly I'd just RMA the board, no point messing around and leaving it till later and later down the line, just causing more headache in the meantime imo

PS this is what it looks like to us,

image.png.287fb4de1943e6c592f02527848d28d8.png

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Did you tried diffrent bootmodes ? Legacy  - Uefi

And you tried some things that maybe not the first solution ?

Like cleaning the pc inside from dirt

Or just reseat the cpu

Sometimes unbelievable things can happen :D

12 hours ago, Johnny Relentless said:

Did you tried diffrent bootmodes ? Legacy  - Uefi

And you tried some things that maybe not the first solution ?

Like cleaning the pc inside from dirt

Or just reseat the cpu

Sometimes unbelievable things can happen :D

I did try different boot modes as well as a bunch of different drives. In the end I couldn't even get it to run an OS off a usb drive let alone get to a place where I could pick a drive to install from. It's a month old build so it's still pretty clean, lol, but that's never a bad thing to try.

I am sending it back, I spent 8hrs trying to get it to work without any improvement. I'm kind of surprised how quickly the rma process went, I was expecting to have to go through a bunch of hoops but Asus was pretty quick about giving me an rma#.

Well a little update, I was 2 days past the Amazon return date. I decided to try calling them and ask if there was anything they'd be willing to do, expecting to be told no. To my surprise they offered to still replace it and I'll be getting the replacement tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, I'm 99% sure it's the cpu, I tried it on another board and with a different PSU and GPU with the same results. I've RMA'd the cpu and am awaiting a replacement. I also found a user on Reddit with the same exact issue although with a different way of it originating.

• 2 weeks later...

Update, it was the CPU, I got my replacement from AMD today and it appears to be working again.

Something interesting however is that when I just went to grab the latest bios apparently Asus's bios revision history has changed. My original board came with 0702, I upgraded to 0803, then 1001 (ABBA) which came out on 9/12. I updated on 9/14 and it never worked again. Looking at Asus's page now there is a 0901 that came out on 9/20 and a 1001 that came out on 9/25. The 1001 version that I downloaded and updated to on 9/14 is gone off of that list. Weird. I'm starting to wonder if somehow that old 1001 bios somehow damaged the chip.