would you punish players because they "want to play it their own way"?

zassou

the title maybe a bit unclear, but it was a real event happened on myself.

i play heroes of the storm, in vs ai mode only, for those who dont know, it's a mode that you team up with 4 players and match against 5 ai controlled character. turning a pvp game into a co-op game. (and it's more popular than you think)

i like this mode because it's a carefree play, you can rock whatever build/playstyle you like, and generally little to no pvp-related toxicity.

all in all, it's harder to lose than win.

and there was a player, who is clearly not participating in any sense. it's not simply afk, because it does move around to prevent auto-kicking.

clearly it's a "powerleveling bot" people bought from ebay or other shady sites.

and it clearly violates blizzard's terms, so i have no guilt reporting it.

i played 2 games with it, and while im no means a pro hots player, i can say for sure those werent easy win.

=======

however that makes me think, what if there is a real player behind that "bot"?

what if that player really want to play it like this? just farming half a lane, get killed, respawn and chill out.

this is the devil's advocate part.

given this mode is a low stress way to play the game, you can do whatever you feel like, and probably wont lose.

what if people just want to chill out?

what if they like the background music and want to enjoy it, without the noisy sound effects from others?

what if the player is disabled and have trouble communicating, and just want to play the game regardless what?

let's assume intentionlly afk is not violating any terms, say you are blizzard, would you ban such player?

i have the replays of those games if you're bored.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

1 hour ago, zassou said:

i have the replays of those games if you're bored.

In this game (I am not familiar with it) can you "chat" with other players? ASk "him" what the heck he is doing?

If no response, then a bot, and complain. If he responds with something logical, try to help him out perhaps? Tell him out to play, support you guys perhaps?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

In this game (I am not familiar with it) can you "chat" with other players? ASk "him" what the heck he is doing?

If no response, then a bot, and complain. If he responds with something logical, try to help him out perhaps? Tell him out to play, support you guys perhaps?

you missed my point, i knew it's a bot. and i reported it.

what i interested is assuming it's not a bot, there is real human player behind it, and they want to play it that way.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

7 minutes ago, zassou said:

what i interested is assuming it's not a bot, there is real human player behind it, and they want to play it that way.

Yeah, there is always that possibility, I only play one on-line game (Armoured Warfare) and it's not got enough players to have bots written for it, that I am aware of.

But on occasion, we see behaviour like you saw, someone doing things their own way with certainly bot-like intelligence.

9 times out of 10, it's a little kid playing a family member's account.

That's why I offered to communicate with them, if they respond back intelligently, then it's just a poor player (or similar) 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yeah, there is always that possibility, I only play one on-line game (Armoured Warfare) and it's not got enough players to have bots written for it, that I am aware of.

But on occasion, we see behaviour like you saw, someone doing things their own way with certainly bot-like intelligence.

9 times out of 10, it's a little kid playing a family member's account.

That's why I offered to communicate with them, if they respond back intelligently, then it's just a poor player (or similar) 

you still missed my point, what if that player cant communicate? it may sound stupid but i do met people who cant type, like those who dont know how to type, or have handicaps.

my point is not whether or not i can spot bots, you have to believe me that im damn good at it with more than a decade of wow experience. ive seen more bots than wow players in real life.

my point is whether it's morally justified to punish unorthodox playstyle, that may or may not affecting other players

If a player's "way of playing" the game is a detrimental to other players, especially in a team based game like a MOBA, I would punish said player.
If they just want to "chill out" without doing much of anything, they can watch a youtube video, sit back and relax.

If it's not affecting anybody... I wouldn't care. But in this case it clearly made things harder for everyone by essentially having one fewer player.

If you're handicapped and literally cannot play in any other way, sorry but there are games better suited for you than a MOBA, even if it's versus AI.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

If a player's "way of playing" the game is a detrimental to other players, especially in a team based game like a MOBA, I would punish said player.
If they just want to "chill out" without doing much of anything, they can watch a youtube video, sit back and relax.

If it's not affecting anybody... I wouldn't care. But in this case it clearly made things harder for everyone by essentially having one fewer player.

If you're handicapped and literally cannot play in any other way, sorry but there are games better suited for you than a MOBA, even if it's versus AI.

thanks for your input.

altho my view is somewhat softer than yours. say if a player is disabled and should they can communicate in some form, i believe most ppl would okay to play with them.

however, i do met someone do wanna chill out and doing unproductive things in game. after i calling them out, they just say those toxic things, like it's bot game i play whatever i want etc.

10 minutes ago, -Kriss- said:

I mean if theres other ways for them to play the game without ruining it for those who are playing to win then yes they should be punished.

If there isnt then i dont think its fair to punish them, they paid as much as you did for the game.

also a valid point. howeve hots is a free to play game...(also lootboxes, yay)

I'm all for playing a game how you want, provided it doesn't prevent people other playing how they want to play 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I play CoH2. sometimes players are n00bs. they dont listen to what you said. Then they start calling you the n00bs and say stfu. then you are so pissed and you grab your nearest anti tank gun and blow up their base or have your flamethrowers burn their infantry units. Justice served, you fcking n00bs. hahaha

Sudo make me a sandwich 

in any kind of competitive game, even against bots. imo, if you are not actively trying to win, then you are trolling and should be removed from the game.

i dont mind "off meta" or troll builds. wanna go full tank teemo mid in a comp game? go for it! as long as you are still trying to win, play however you want. 

but as soon as you decide your afk or intentionally feeding, or running back and forth between lanes doing fuck all, fuck you get out.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

depends on you're playing rank or not. if rank then its his fault for not helping and contributing, if unrank, i pretty much don't give a shit. then again i stopped playing team games due to the toxic community

now if you ask this question in 1v1 games like starcraft its a whole other thing entirely

I'd probably kick them