What do you recommend for gear for CES this spring?

I'll be attending as media for the first time. I'll for sure be using my A7III and Tamron 2.8 28-75, but what else do you recommend? Also, anything I should expect or do to make life easier? We want to create a lot of video content like that of Engadget, LinusTechTips and Gizmodo's CES content this past year. Thanks.

38 minutes ago, Eragorn said:

Just bring a gimbal'd high end smart phone and a big battery bank?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Keep your setup simple and do whatever you can to speed up your editing. You will be elbowing people out of the way and fighting for shots I'd imagine. So the quicker you can get your work done the better. 

I do similar coverage for the SEMA car show in Vegas. This year I invested in a Atomos Ninja Inferno so I can record ProRes and speed up my editing process. 

I can't say for CES, but I know SEMA is a ton of walking (same space), so anything you can do to lighten your load and move quicker will help. 

Ryzen 7 2700X , Asus Prime X570-Pro, Bykski CPU Block, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Lian-Li PC011 Dynamic XL case.

33 minutes ago, MandicReally said:

Keep your setup simple and do whatever you can to speed up your editing. You will be elbowing people out of the way and fighting for shots I'd imagine. So the quicker you can get your work done the better. 

I do similar coverage for the SEMA car show in Vegas. This year I invested in a Atomos Ninja Inferno so I can record ProRes and speed up my editing process. 

I can't say for CES, but I know SEMA is a ton of walking (same space), so anything you can do to lighten your load and move quicker will help. 

Cool, thanks. 

I don't know the minimum focus distance on your Tamron, but a macro lens could be useful for taking pictures of products on display.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

4 hours ago, Fetzie said:

I don't know the minimum focus distance on your Tamron, but a macro lens could be useful for taking pictures of products on display.

When at 75 the minimum focus is 20 inches. Think I need something with a macro focus? 

Get a wireless mic kit, audio is always the most over looked part of video.  If you are going to have someone in front of the camera often think about getting a handheld mic compatable option.

3 hours ago, Thanatopsis said:

Get a wireless mic kit, audio is always the most over looked part of video.  If you are going to have someone in front of the camera often think about getting a handheld mic compatable option.

I'd largely recommend skipping cordless. I use a Zoom H4n that has XLR ports and wire my handheld mic to that. I do that and use a shotgun mic on camera then sync in post. This year I'm going to go direct to my Atomos recorder with my mic cable and save myself having to sync. 

Especially an event like CES, it could be very signal heavy. With all the devices sending and receiving in that space going wired would be a safer bet. 

Believe me there is little worse than getting done with an interview or recording in a booth only to find in the edit that the audio isn't usable and you have to use terrible scratch audio off the camera. 

Ryzen 7 2700X , Asus Prime X570-Pro, Bykski CPU Block, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Lian-Li PC011 Dynamic XL case.

32 minutes ago, MandicReally said:

Believe me there is little worse than getting done with an interview or recording in a booth only to find in the edit that the audio isn't usable and you have to use terrible scratch audio off the camera. 

OH I KNOW,  but this is why the camera op is supposed to be monitoring the audio out of the camera.  and a good Shure or Sennheiser wireless kit should be able to find a clear channel to run on.  I mean the new 1.9ghz kits from Sennheiser have me interested as they are on a low usage range below wifi and over tv and now cell transmission range.

On 9/17/2019 at 4:21 AM, Eragorn said:

When at 75 the minimum focus is 20 inches. Think I need something with a macro focus? 

Try taking shots of things at home and see if you like what the photographs look like.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II