Upcoming Ubuntu Server Media Server guide

Hi guys!

I have a micro server turning up tomorrow and am planning on creating a friendly guide about the setup process.

I'm just wondering how many people would be interested in this.

Here's a list of the hardware:

-> HP 704941-421 ProLiant Micro Server

-> pre-installed 250GB HDD (OS Disk)

-> 2x Western Digital Caviar Red 2TB (Storage)

and here's a list of the software/configutarion I'm going to be running on the server:

-> Ubuntu Server 13.10

-> ZFS Mirror (file system)

-> SSH/openSSH (remotely connecting to the server from another computer)

-> Ajenti (Web UI for Admin)

-> Plex Media Server (Streaming content around your house)

-> Subsonic (Stream music over LAN and WAN)

-> git (Version control system)

Let me know if anything above interests you or you have any suggestions for me to look into!

If you want, you could also make the posts in my already existing Debian tutorial. If your stuff is about the CLI side of things, that is. I'll link to your posts in the table of contents and you get full accreditation, of course.

Whatever you end up doing, I'm interested in the guide, It'll include some things I've never even thought about doing.

Yeah count me in as well.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

If you want, you could also make the posts in my already existing Debian tutorial. If your stuff is about the CLI side of things, that is. I'll link to your posts in the table of contents and you get full accreditation, of course.

Whatever you end up doing, I'm interested in the guide, It'll include some things I've never even thought about doing.

Yea, I'll be running Ubuntu Server so it'll be entirely CLI to get everything installed and set up =]

I would consider transmissioncli for remote download server.

Signatures are stupid.

http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu-13.04-nginx-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3

Used this numerous times, if you look around the site, there are instructions for everything imaginable.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

*raises hand* Oooh! Oooh! Pick me! Pick me! Serious though. I've been wanting to make a media server for a while now. Instead I've ghetto rigged a 3TB external drive to my ASUS router for the time being that's only accessible locally.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

I could use a guide, my 4 4tb drives need a new home.

I could use a guide, my 4 4tb drives need a new home.

I'd be willing to adopt them. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I'd be willing to adopt them. :D

Sure thing! come over here, they will be waiting

-> Ubuntu Server 13.10

Good luck getting that running stable!

"There's no test like production!"

-> Ubuntu Server 13.10

I have had no issues running ZFS on Arch so far (about since last June).

I have had no issues running ZFS on Arch so far (about since last June).

Arch isn't Debian (You should no that if your a real linux user.), ZFS on Debian  is really crap and usable, there is no actual support for ZFS.

Arch isn't Debian (You should no that if your a real linux user.), ZFS on Debian  is really crap and usable, there is no actual support for ZFS.

Wait, what?! Arch isn't Debian? Why the bloody hell did nobody tell me!?

No wonder dpkg hasn't been working for me... :lol:

Seriously though:

There isn't really any official support for ZFS on Arch, but we have an inofficial

repo and the wiki sections on ZFS are pretty good, so it's not too much effort to

get it up and running (unless maybe you try to actually install the OS on ZFS, but

I have so far had no compelling reason to do so).

In any case:

My point was merely that I have had no issues on Arch with ZFS, no less, no more.

Why not just use btrfs, or add the zfs ppa to the ubuntu repository?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

-> Ubuntu Server 13.10

http://zfsonlinux.org/

or

https://launchpad.net/~zfs-native/+archive/stable/

You cant install the OS on that file system though, but i am running a home server, and it seems to work just fine.

http://zfsonlinux.org/

or

https://launchpad.net/~zfs-native/+archive/stable/

You cant install the OS on that file system though, but i am running a home server, and it seems to work just fine.

Ran most types of the ZFS on deb & ubuntu they all corrupted a  6TB raid so again Usable and not supported the joys of Linux.

Ran most types of the ZFS on deb & ubuntu they all corrupted a  6TB raid so again Usable and not supported the joys of Linux.

Strange, maybe it's a controller issue? I have been running it for the past 5 months, using my raid card in direct access mode in a 10TB pool.