Black Friday Build: Quick FPS Gaming Build

Hello all, I wanted to ask the forums what would be the ideal build for my gaming needs. Currently, I'm on a 1080p monitor and will go to a 144hz monitor.

I play games such as L4D2, Beamng Drive, Six Siege, GTA 5, Project Cars 2, F1 2019, BF1, BF3, BF4, BF5, FSX, Gmod, City Skylines, and CSGO. My budget is around $1700.

Here are my potential builds:

AMD: Ryzen 3700x, RTX 2060 Super OR used GTX 1070, 32 gb DDr4  NEO Trident Z rgb ram, Gigabyte x570 ultra mobo.

Intel: Intel I7-9700k, RTX 2060 super or used GTX 1070,  32 gb ddr4 Trident Z rgb ram, Gigabyte Z390 ultra mobo.

Note, the reason I put the used GTX 1070 is because my current laptop has the Max-Q version, which is able to play nearly all my games at 144hz and nearly maxed out. Now, I can get a used 1070 for around $230 usd. Would it be wise to go with the RTX 2060 super or GTX 1070 for my needs?

Also, I understand that the 3700x beat the i7-9700k is certain things, but will it be good enough for gaming? This is me coming from an i5-4690k and AMD R9-390x.

Thank you all!

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

Well, the 3700X is about 4% behind in games and a good 30% faster in almost everything else. It also uses less power and runs cooler than the i7. The 3700X also comes bundled with the excellent Wraith Prism whereas the i7 needs a cooler. Not to mention AM4 offers an upgrade path to 12/16 cores or Zen3 next year possibly. Meanwhile, 1151 is dead so no real upgrade options beside the 9900K but that's an expensive CPU and runs warmer. And then there's the security issues on Intel CPUs that require patches on a software and firmware level.

Generally, the 3700X is the better option for most people. You also don't need that expensive board. the Asus TuF X570 is already overkill and, realistically, even the MSI B450 Tomahawk is more than enough.

As for the GPU - the 2060 Super is kinda beaten by the RX 5700 so it comes down to pricing.

I would go for the amd build. Also 32gb of ram is entirely uneccessary. 16gb is more than enough for gaming. 

Also I would try to get an rx 5700/5700xt. Should fit in the budget. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X  |  Cooler: Cryorig H7  |  Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar  |  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini  |  RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB  3000MHz  |  GPU: EVGA 1070ti Gaming (Kraken G12 Watercooled) |  PSU: Corsair TXM650  |  Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue M.2 500GB  |  Network Card: Asus PCE-AC56  |  Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U  |  Audio: Sennheiser HD6XX + Schiit Fulla 2

Laptop:

Lenovo s540:  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  |  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz  |  GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8  |  Storage: 256GB NVME SSD

Other builds:

Spoiler

Workstation 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  |  Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2  |  Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro  |  Case: Corsair Crystal 570X  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz  |  GPU: Nvidia Quadro P5000  |  PSU: Corsair TXM750  |  Storage 1: WD Green 120GB  |  Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB  |  Storage 3: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  Monitor: LG 27UD68

I'm an Intel guy and even I like the new Ryzen CPUs over what Intel has out. The 3700X is a much better option over the 9700k. Here is what I would do. If you want to spend a couple hundred extra you could even do the 2070 Super and still be within budget. (Edited to swap Focus Plus PSU for MWE Gold do to OCP issues with the Focus Plus.)

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

5 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Swap to the Focus GX or pick one of the many other options including the MWE Gold from cooler master. 

Old focus has OCP related issues which makes them worth avoiding. 

On 9/12/2019 at 12:49 PM, 5x5 said:

Well, the 3700X is about 4% behind in games and a good 30% faster in almost everything else. It also uses less power and runs cooler than the i7. The 3700X also comes bundled with the excellent Wraith Prism whereas the i7 needs a cooler. Not to mention AM4 offers an upgrade path to 12/16 cores or Zen3 next year possibly. Meanwhile, 1151 is dead so no real upgrade options beside the 9900K but that's an expensive CPU and runs warmer. And then there's the security issues on Intel CPUs that require patches on a software and firmware level.

Generally, the 3700X is the better option for most people. You also don't need that expensive board. the Asus TuF X570 is already overkill and, realistically, even the MSI B450 Tomahawk is more than enough.

As for the GPU - the 2060 Super is kinda beaten by the RX 5700 so it comes down to pricing.

Honestly, I'm not looking to upgrade for a while. I was looking for performance, while not breaking the bank completely. Also, the reason for the overkill mobo's are the looks and the m.2 slots. I think the 3700x is great, but I built an i9-9900kf build for similar pricing. I guess it depends on when the time comes to decide.

On 9/12/2019 at 12:51 PM, AndrewB121 said:

I would go for the amd build. Also 32gb of ram is entirely uneccessary. 16gb is more than enough for gaming. 

Also I would try to get an rx 5700/5700xt. Should fit in the budget. 

I'm going with 32gb, just to make the build that much more interesting. Also, I'm not looking to get another amd gpu, as they disappointed me in the past.

On 9/12/2019 at 1:01 PM, SpookyCitrus said:

I'm an Intel guy and even I like the new Ryzen CPUs over what Intel has out. The 3700X is a much better option over the 9700k. Here is what I would do. If you want to spend a couple hundred extra you could even do the 2070 Super and still be within budget. (Edited to swap Focus Plus PSU for MWE Gold do to OCP issues with the Focus Plus.)

I like the build list, through I don't like have two ram sticks. That's just a personal thing. Also, not going with amd for the gpu this time. Amd has let me down in the past in terms of gpu performance. I might stick with Nvidia and I'm still deciding on whether I want amd or intel.

On 9/12/2019 at 1:08 PM, GoldenLag said:

Swap to the Focus GX or pick one of the many other options including the MWE Gold from cooler master. 

Old focus has OCP related issues which makes them worth avoiding. 

I decided to take out my EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 from my previous pc, unless someone buys the whole pc. I would like something with a rgb fan, but I'm not sure if Thermaltake's PSU's are any good.

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

16 minutes ago, Loch said:

Honestly, I'm not looking to upgrade for a while. I was looking for performance, while not breaking the bank completely. Also, the reason for the overkill mobo's are the looks and the m.2 slots. I think the 3700x is great, but I built an i9-9900kf build for similar pricing. I guess it depends on when the time comes to decide.

If you are going for longevity, might as well get a 3900X then. Same price as 9900K, 50% more cores and multi-core performance

3 hours ago, Loch said:

I like the build list, through I don't like have two ram sticks. That's just a personal thing. Also, not going with amd for the gpu this time. Amd has let me down in the past in terms of gpu performance. I might stick with Nvidia and I'm still deciding on whether I want amd or intel.

So are you going for four modules or just one?? Single channel will be a big issue, it's either dual or quad in my opinion with any new build( I'm guessing you want four modules). As for the GPU, as I stated you can go for a 2070 Super instead and still be within your budget. I'd personally do only the 2x16GB kit because then you will have the option of upgrading to 64GB if you want/need to without having to replace the whole kit.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |