Help me pick a cpu Please

Go to solution Solved by Rookie1986,
2 hours ago, AgentOfTheGame said:

to start i want to say i only had intel cpus but im not a fan boy i okay going with AMD   

i only game the res i play on is 1440p gpu is a 2080s or 2080 ti right now the i7-9700k is $300 usd and the i9-9900k is $450 usd and the 3700x is $330 usd those are the 3 cpus im looking at right now i have never really oc idk if i will trying to future proof my pc for streaming i dont know if i will i play games like Borderlands Destiny GTA 5 apex Hitman 2 Gears games like that for the cooler i already own a good one and its new and for ram i own 16gb 3000 ram if i need to change it i can. thanks for any help

Well you are in luck because both Intel and AMD make great CPU's in this generation :)

Which 1440p resolution are we talking - 2560 x 1440 (16:9 - Standard) or 3440 x 1440 (21:9 - Ultrawide)?

Which GPU is it, the 2080 Super or the 2080Ti as there is a fair bit of difference between the two, to check you can look on the card itself, you could also right click on your desktop and open the nVidia Control Panel then click system information in the bottom left to get the GPU info finally you could open your wallet, if there's money left you bought the 2080 Super, if its just lint and moths you got the 2080 Ti (there are other ways to check but these are quick/easy enough).

If your build is mainly gaming focused, then the i9 9900k is still top-dog for this single use, when it comes to gaming and streaming from the same rig you might find that the 9900k is no longer king and the crown goes to the 3900x (or soon to be released 3950x). So going on your needs and pure performance figures the 9900k is most likely the "best" CPU for your needs (the 3700k is a great CPU though and not a terrible purchase beating/matching the 9900k in a lot of areas outside of gaming). Unfortunately, the 1151 socket which the 9900k utilises is approaching end-of-life with Comet Lake (10th Gen) due to drop some time in the next 6 months, this will use a newer 1200 socket meaning that if you wanted to upgrade at a later date you will already have the best CPU available for your Motherboard meaning a larger upgrade would be required.

You say you already own a cooler, out of curiosity how old is it? if its an AIO and beyond 5 years I'd still consider replacing it (do you have the correct adaptors/mountings to make it fit the CPU's you've listed?)?

If you go the AMD route I would advise a RAM upgrade, 3600 CL16 seems to be the sweet spot and a lot of new kits like the G.Skill Trident Neo or Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro are "Ryzen Certified" so are better set out-of-the-box to pair with a Ryzen MOD and CPU.

Good luck in picking your new components :)

to start i want to say i only had intel cpus but im not a fan boy i okay going with AMD   

i only game the res i play on is 1440p gpu is a 2080s or 2080 ti right now the i7-9700k is $300 usd and the i9-9900k is $450 usd and the 3700x is $330 usd those are the 3 cpus im looking at right now i have never really oc idk if i will trying to future proof my pc for streaming i dont know if i will i play games like Borderlands Destiny GTA 5 apex Hitman 2 Gears games like that for the cooler i already own a good one and its new and for ram i own 16gb 3000 ram if i need to change it i can. thanks for any help

9900k is the fastest and the 3700x is best value. 

9700k doesnt make sense with the lack lf HT and the 3700x being a thing. 

3700x + X570 aurus elite.

is your ram kit a 2*8GB? Preferably grab a 3200/3600mhz kit.

what cooler do you have ?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

The 3700X is the clear choice. Almost the same performance as a 9900K, much cooler (the i9 runs extremely hot) under load, uses less power and doesn't suffer from the severe intel security vulnerabilities like Meltdown. AM4 also has support for 12-16 cores and potentially Zen3 next year. 1151, meanwhile, is dead. Next gen intel is rumoured to be on socket 1200 meaning an upgrade needs a new board.

Also, the 3700X comes with the excellent Wraith Prism whereas Intel CPUa don't come with coolers at all

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

3700x + X570 aurus elite.

is your ram kit a 2*8GB? Preferably grab a 3200/3600mhz kit.

what cooler do you have ?

I have a new corsair cooler aio 

so i have been watching alot of videos and i see that the 9700k always has higher frames than the 3700x now i also heard and read that you can get alot more fps using a 3600 is that true and if so what would the fps difference be 

Just now, AgentOfTheGame said:

so i have been watching alot of videos and i see that the 9700k always has higher frames than the 3700x now i also heard and read that you can get alot more fps using a 3600 is that true and if so what would the fps difference be 

In order for the 9700K to perform slightly better in games, you need to overclock it and run at 1080p.

Since you are on 1440p, the three CPUs will be the exact same in games but the 3700X matches.tje 9900K in multi core

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

In order for the 9700K to perform slightly better in games, you need to overclock it and run at 1080p.

Since you are on 1440p, the three CPUs will be the exact same in games but the 3700X matches.tje 9900K in multi core

i saw this in a video are they wrong or right 

wdwdwdd.PNG

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

also what do u thing the fps diffrence will be from 3000 ram to 3200 or to 3600 ram 

2 minutes ago, AgentOfTheGame said:

i saw this in a video are they wrong or right 

wdwdwdd.PNG

Mostly right. I'd argue the 9700K doesn't make sense since it runs hot and needs expensive.cooling for it to really be "absolute gaming". Else the 3700X is basically the same.in games

also what do u thing the fps diffrence will be from 3000 ram to 3200 or to 3600 ram 

As long as timings are low, both are great

1 minute ago, AgentOfTheGame said:

The second one is CAS18 so that's a definite no. The ideal situation is 3600 CAS 15 or 16.

Buildzoid has a very good Crucial Kit listed in his videos that does very low timings and is dirt cheap. Get that

2 hours ago, AgentOfTheGame said:

Well you are in luck because both Intel and AMD make great CPU's in this generation :)

Which 1440p resolution are we talking - 2560 x 1440 (16:9 - Standard) or 3440 x 1440 (21:9 - Ultrawide)?

Which GPU is it, the 2080 Super or the 2080Ti as there is a fair bit of difference between the two, to check you can look on the card itself, you could also right click on your desktop and open the nVidia Control Panel then click system information in the bottom left to get the GPU info finally you could open your wallet, if there's money left you bought the 2080 Super, if its just lint and moths you got the 2080 Ti (there are other ways to check but these are quick/easy enough).

If your build is mainly gaming focused, then the i9 9900k is still top-dog for this single use, when it comes to gaming and streaming from the same rig you might find that the 9900k is no longer king and the crown goes to the 3900x (or soon to be released 3950x). So going on your needs and pure performance figures the 9900k is most likely the "best" CPU for your needs (the 3700k is a great CPU though and not a terrible purchase beating/matching the 9900k in a lot of areas outside of gaming). Unfortunately, the 1151 socket which the 9900k utilises is approaching end-of-life with Comet Lake (10th Gen) due to drop some time in the next 6 months, this will use a newer 1200 socket meaning that if you wanted to upgrade at a later date you will already have the best CPU available for your Motherboard meaning a larger upgrade would be required.

You say you already own a cooler, out of curiosity how old is it? if its an AIO and beyond 5 years I'd still consider replacing it (do you have the correct adaptors/mountings to make it fit the CPU's you've listed?)?

If you go the AMD route I would advise a RAM upgrade, 3600 CL16 seems to be the sweet spot and a lot of new kits like the G.Skill Trident Neo or Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro are "Ryzen Certified" so are better set out-of-the-box to pair with a Ryzen MOD and CPU.

5 minutes ago, Rookie1986 said:

hi thanks for the help so to start i dont play ultra wide the aio is new in box i dont plan to stream and tbh i dont know if i will upgrade my cpu next year and after next year amd will no longer support am4 i believe for the gpu i am looking at a 2080 super or ti but more to the super i also want my cput to be a able to support the next gen gpus that will come out and not hold them down. also on all video that i belive that are trusted i see always the intel is better with fps some people say that 10-20 fps is not alot of change but i think it is so if you were me what would you do again thanks for the help

10 minutes ago, Rookie1986 said:

i also wanted to say that if i do go and buy new ram that would make the 3700x the same price ass the i9-9900k 

If it was me I would look at it like this:

Pure Performance: i9 9900k + 2080Ti

Future Proofing: 3700X + 2080Ti + 3600 CL16 RAM

There is no arguing that the 9900k beats the 3700X for pure gaming activity, so if this is your only requirement then you will be set with that and the 2080Ti for years to come at 2560 x 1440. (what refresh rate is your monitor btw?).

My build that I'm currently piecing together is the "future proofing" option, as this allows the option to use the next gen Ryzen chips, meaning if you find the 3700X to not hit the mark you have some upgrade options. You'll also have PCIe 4.0 if you go down the route of the X570 MOB which although not really utilised today outside of NVMe storage I wouldn't be surprised if the 5xxx/6xxx Ti nVidia GPU will require PCIe 4.0 to get the best performance from it (current gen 2080Ti already saturate PCIe 3.0 x8 lanes, not sure what headroom the x16 offers but in a few years it might no longer be enough).

Its always difficult when building a new system, as you want to get the best performance and longevity from the components you buy, I've opted for the 3700X but in the back of my mind I still have buyers remorce and think I should have waited for the 3900X to be back in stock or for the 3950X to see if that would be a better option... the other thing is there is always something new around the corner and if you wait you'll be waiting forever.

The biggest issue is asking questions to enthusiast communities. In all honesty you could buy any combination of the above, take the 3000Mhz RAM, 9700k and 2080 Super combination, this is still pretty damn awesome and will give a great gaming experience at your 2560 x 1440 resolution.

3 minutes ago, Rookie1986 said:

If it was me I would look at it like this:

Pure Performance: i9 9900k + 2080Ti

Future Proofing: 3700X + 2080Ti + 3600 CL16 RAM

There is no arguing that the 9900k beats the 3700X for pure gaming activity, so if this is your only requirement then you will be set with that and the 2080Ti for years to come at 2560 x 1440. (what refresh rate is your monitor btw?).

My build that I'm currently piecing together is the "future proofing" option, as this allows the option to use the next gen Ryzen chips, meaning if you find the 3700X to not hit the mark you have some upgrade options. You'll also have PCIe 4.0 if you go down the route of the X570 MOB which although not really utilised today outside of NVMe storage I wouldn't be surprised if the 5xxx/6xxx Ti nVidia GPU will require PCIe 4.0 to get the best performance from it (current gen 2080Ti already saturate PCIe 3.0 x8 lanes, not sure what headroom the x16 offers but in a few years it might no longer be enough).

Its always difficult when building a new system, as you want to get the best performance and longevity from the components you buy, I've opted for the 3700X but in the back of my mind I still have buyers remorce and think I should have waited for the 3900X to be back in stock or for the 3950X to see if that would be a better option... the other thing is there is always something new around the corner and if you wait you'll be waiting forever.

The biggest issue is asking questions to enthusiast communities. In all honesty you could buy any combination of the above, take the 3000Mhz RAM, 9700k and 2080 Super combination, this is still pretty damn awesome and will give a great gaming experience at your 2560 x 1440 resolution.

so the build i had in mind alll along is the 3700x and a 2080 super but seeing and people telling me that there is a 20 fps diff  worried me my monitor is 144fps

so the build i had in mind alll along is the 3700x and a 2080 super but seeing and people telling me that there is a 20 fps diff  worried me my monitor is 144fps

Personally for 2560x1440 at 144 refresh rate the only option is the 2080Ti, the super struggles to push enough FPS to take advantage of the high refresh rate when using ultra/high settings making it redundant (to be honest the 2080Ti also struggles in some games).

Take a look at this video: 

Side-by-side comparison of the 2080 Super and 2080Ti, you want the second sent of results (not the 4k ones).