Vivaldi Browser Coming to Android

jiyeon

Who cares?

It's still chromium based, all the modifications from stock are proprietary and only has a fraction of the customization of Firefox.

When there's a third player in the game that isn't a colossal turd, let me know.

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

More like why not

Tried it yourself?

Turning on dark mode i can understand, but why disable sync and quic?

Turning off quic just makes your connection to certain sites slower. 

15 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Turn off async DNS resolver - so that the browser does not bypass regular DNS lookup prodecure

Oh that's the "sync" you were referring to.

That option do not exist in browsers anymore.

15 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Turn off quic protocol - its a security risk as unlike regular HTTP/HTTPS, most firewalls are unable to act on QUIC traffic for web protection

What kind of firewall do you have? Most firewalls do not work the way I think you believe they work.

Most firewalls either allow all web traffic, or none of it.

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

async DNS can still be disabled on most Chromium based browsers. Its there in Vivaldi and Windows/Android version of Brave as far as I can confirm. The option not being there would mean async DNS being forced to be on. You dont want (Google) elements of the browser bypassing standard DNS lookup when you have measures in place to block connections.

I checked in both Chrome and EdgeDev and neither has that option.

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

Quic uses a Google black box encryption which prevents the traffic from being monitored by firewalls. Again, not what you want to happen when firewall has been explicitly set up to control network traffic.

No it doesn't. You have no idea what you're talking about, sorry.

1) QUIC does not use "black box encryption". It uses TLS just like HTTPS does.

2) HTTPS is also encrypted and makes it very difficult to monitor with firewalls, just like QUIC.

3) If we're talking about a network based firewall then you do not want it to be able to read your web browsing traffic. If it can do that, then it means you are being man-in-the-middled by your firewall. If you got something like an IPS or IDS then it might be good, but that's for enterprise setups and not home setups.

But even if you're in an enterprise the easiest method of fixing this issue is not to change settings on the client but rather to define the QUIC protocol in your firewall and then block it. If you do that, all browsers will use HTTP/HTTPS as a fallback.

4) QUIC is not a "black box" at all because it is an open standard specified in this IETF document.

If you are a home user, you do not want to disable QUIC. It can and will only make your browsing slower. Disabling it does not add any additional security.

If you are an enterprise user, leave dealing with firewall stuff to the IT department. They have better ways of dealing with QUIC than to rely on users changing client settings.

Been using Vivaldi on my PC for over a year. Absolutely love the features it provides without the bull-crap Google tracking/spying stuff. I have yet to come across a Chrome extension that didn't work with it either. Really excited to finally be able to use it on my phone and fully utilize the sync function!