I7 3770

So I wanted to know if an I7 3770 will be an upgrade, downgrade, or about the same as an I5 3570K?

Thanks for any answers

The 3770 is probably an upgrade unless the 3570k is aggressively oc'ed and whatever you're doing significantly benefits from the higher clocks. 

Why? What's the system being used for? If you already have the 3570k, it's probably not worth buying the 3770. It may be worth considering if you just had both lying around. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

The 3770 is probably an upgrade unless the 3570k is aggressively oc'ed and whatever you're doing significantly benefits from the higher clocks. 

Why? What's the system being used for? If you already have the 3570k, it's probably not worth buying the 3770. It may be worth considering if you just had both lying around. 

I mostly do gaming and some streaming here and there, but I have a friend offering me an I7 3770 for 65 bucks and I know that's a good deal for the cpu so thought I'd see if it's worth the money, and no it's not super overclocked I can only get it to 3.6 before it becomes unstable

1 minute ago, ComputerNerdDude158 said:

I mostly do gaming and some streaming here and there, but I have a friend offering me an I7 3770 for 65 bucks and I know that's a good deal for the cpu so thought I'd see if it's worth the money, and no it's not super overclocked I can only get it to 3.6 before it becomes unstable

It'd be a bit of an improvement but I don't think it's worth $65 over the current 3570k. 

3.6ghz is very low. Most should pretty easily hit 4.0 - 4.2ghz depending on the cooler. What motherboard, core voltage, and cooler are you using? Load temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

It'd be a bit of an improvement but I don't think it's worth $65 over the current 3570k. 

3.6ghz is very low. Most should pretty easily hit 4.0 - 4.2ghz depending on the cooler. What motherboard, core voltage, and cooler are you using? Load temps?

Cooler is HyperMaster 212 Evo

Motherboard is asus p8z77-v lx

And core voltage is default

And load temps, under a full load it hits around 80 degrees C

Just now, ComputerNerdDude158 said:

Cooler is HyperMaster 212 Evo

Motherboard is asus p8z77-v lx

And core voltage is default

And load temps, under a full load it hits around 80 degrees C

Default is Auto which usually uses much more voltage than necessary and causes high temps. 

Try setting it manually instead. You should be able to hit 4.2ghz with 1.2v fairly easily. Try that and stress testing for temps. Depending on results, you can tweak for higher clocks or lower voltage from there. 

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Default is Auto which usually uses much more voltage than necessary and causes high temps. 

Try setting it manually instead. You should be able to hit 4.2ghz with 1.2v fairly easily. Try that and stress testing for temps. Depending on results, you can tweak for higher clocks or lower voltage from there. 

Alright, awesome, thanks so much :D