1080 Ti Desktop computer worse performance then a 1070 laptop

Fjellheimz

Hey awesome LTT community!

I need some help troubleshooting my desktop computer it has these components:

Desktop:

Graphics card: Asus GTX 1080 Ti

CPU: i7-4790k Running stock clock

RAM: 16GB DDR3 

Motherboard: Asus, i will come back with the specific modelnumber.

Monitor: Acer Predator 27" 1440p 165Hz w/ gsync

Primary storage device: 512GB PCI-E SSD

SSD 2: 500GB SSD

HDD 3: 2TB Mechanical HDD

Laptop: Hp Omen 15" 2018

Graphics Card: GTX 1070 6GB

CPU: i7-8750H

RAM: 16GB DDR4

Primary storage device: 256GB PCI-E SSD
Secondary storage device: 1TB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Monitor: Acer Predator 27" 1440p 165Hz w/ gsync

When playing games like PUBG, BF1, my laptop runs these games more smoothly, i might get higher FPS on my desktop, but it way more unstable, the FPS drops more often then the laptop, wich is find wierd, i know im running DDR3 on the desktop and DDR4 on the laptop, but i wouldent think that is the problem.

I have tried playing games on the same monitor with the same graphical fidelity so the testing is as accurate as possible.

Is it the CPU on the desktop that is bottlenecking the GPU too much? if so should i consider overclocking? and if that is the case, can someone give me a few pointers on what clock speed and voltage i should try out.

Can anyone come with a few tips on where i can start troubleshooting this setup, because right now im just playing on my laptop because im at a loss when it comes to the desktop pc.

PS: When playing games like Witcher 3, World of Warcraft etc, RPGs and games that are not competitive FPS i do not notice any diffrence. And games with high graphic fidelity runs alot better on the desktop computer.

PPS: My CPU likes hitting 100% load during PUBG :/

2 minutes ago, Fjellheimz said:

My CPU likes hitting 100% load during PUBG

You solved the problem there, I believe

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

8 minutes ago, Fjellheimz said:

Probably try reinstalling windows on the desktop first of all, and make sure it's not overheating and throttling.

Your 4790K is still fine for gaming, it's getting over 100fps here.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

29 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Probably try reinstalling windows on the desktop first of all, and make sure it's not overheating and throttling.

Your 4790K is still fine for gaming, it's getting over 100fps here.

The video isn't much to go by.

OP said his CPU is running on stock, which depending on the bios settings can be any number between 3,6 and 4ghz. The CPU in the Video runs on 4.2GHZ+.

All we know about OP’s RAM is that he has 16GB DDR3. The system in the video uses “Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3-1866”, which are almost exclusively available in 2x 8GB packs, so dual channel is a fair assumption and as we don't know the MHZ of OP’s RAM nor if he runs single, dual or “I did not configure that” - channel, thats another unknowen.

Add all together and you are looking at a performance delta between the two systems of up to an easy 35% in games.

But other than that, windows/driver reinstall and checking for overheating is sound advice.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

Okey thanks guys!
I will try this as soon as i get home today, and i will get back to you.

You are awesome!